Mearls On D&D's Design Premises/Goals

First of all, thanks Morrus for collecting this. I generally avoid Twitter because, frankly, it's full of a$$holes. That aside: this is an interesting way of looking at it, and underscores the difference in design philosophies between the WotC team and the Paizo team. There is a lot of room for both philosophies of design, and I don't think there is any reason for fans of one to be hostile to...

First of all, thanks [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] for collecting this. I generally avoid Twitter because, frankly, it's full of a$$holes.

That aside: this is an interesting way of looking at it, and underscores the difference in design philosophies between the WotC team and the Paizo team. There is a lot of room for both philosophies of design, and I don't think there is any reason for fans of one to be hostile to fans of the other, but those differences do matter. There are ways in which I like the prescriptive elements of 3.x era games (I like set skill difficulty lists, for example) but I tend to run by the seat of my pants and the effects of my beer, so a fast and loose and forgiving version like 5E really enables me running a game the way I like to.

DM Howard

Explorer
When I see requests for more crunchy modular options I wonder if it has to be done by the D&D team at WotC. I mean, there are already a bunch of fantastic class, subclass, spell, etc. options in the dmsguild store. Some of it is effectively free. On top of that, a number of authors from the dmsguild, the adepts, are basically officially endorsed by the official team.

There are also some very good third-party publishers who create 5e material. Not only DM tools like Kobold Press' Tome of Beasts, but also character options as well.

These, to me, seem to serve the purpose of that modular crunch you mentioned. With this in mind do we really need to have "official" options? Admittedly, these options are not available in Adventure League games, but that serves a fairly niche audience and most data seems to point to people playing in home games where getting DM approval is but a conversation away.

Long story short, I sort of feel we already do have crunchier options.
I would agree except none of these products make it into game stores, which means for a not-so-small portion of the D&D player base means they might as well not exist.

Kite474

Explorer
When I see requests for more crunchy modular options I wonder if it has to be done by the D&D team at WotC. I mean, there are already a bunch of fantastic class, subclass, spell, etc. options in the dmsguild store. Some of it is effectively free. On top of that, a number of authors from the dmsguild, the adepts, are basically officially endorsed by the official team.

There are also some very good third-party publishers who create 5e material. Not only DM tools like Kobold Press' Tome of Beasts, but also character options as well.

These, to me, seem to serve the purpose of that modular crunch you mentioned. With this in mind do we really need to have "official" options? Admittedly, these options are not available in Adventure League games, but that serves a fairly niche audience and most data seems to point to people playing in home games where getting DM approval is but a conversation away.

Long story short, I sort of feel we already do have crunchier options.
I think the big issue is actually finding this material as the store is kind of as useless as the APP and Steam store

Zilong

First Post
Yeah, the DMsguild could certainly have a better ui.

But for making it into game stores I don't know if that is really an issue. Often times when someone wants more options they are either someone who is more knowledgeable about the hobby already and should know about third-party publishers or are completely new and suggest a completely bonkers (in a good way) concept. For the new player, hopefully, the DM will be experienced enough to make a suggestion for an adequate substitute or know about one of the avenues I mentioned.

Where I can see it breaking down is if everyone at a table, players and DM, are newer and less experienced. In that regard, the WotC team could probably do a better job of pointing them in the right direction. Though, how they would do that, I have no idea.

I think the big issue is actually finding this material as the store is kind of as useless as the APP and Steam store
Start off with: https://koboldpress.com/kpstore/product/midgard-heroes-handbook-for-5th-edition-dnd-5e/

Then move to Adept program material: https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?filters=45680_0_0_0_0_0&page=1&sort=4a#browselist

A good one is: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/22...es-to-Everything-Else?filters=45680_0_0_0_0_0

Then check out the bestsellers: https://www.dmsguild.com/metal.php
If they’ve sold that many, they’re generally worthwhile.

Bam. Easy.

I would agree except none of these products make it into game stores, which means for a not-so-small portion of the D&D player base means they might as well not exist.
And?

If they’re only looking in stores, then they’re probably not actually looking. Which means they’re likely satisfied with the existing stuff.
If they want more D&D content but can’t be bothered to spend 30 seconds googling, I don’t think waves of books will help.

DM Howard

Explorer
And?

If they’re only looking in stores, then they’re probably not actually looking. Which means they’re likely satisfied with the existing stuff.
If they want more D&D content but can’t be bothered to spend 30 seconds googling, I don’t think waves of books will help.
I disagree.

I would like to support my store, so if it comes down to going for a Sms Guild product or buying yet another adventure from WOTC in-store then it will be the WOTC adventure.

I disagree.

I would like to support my store, so if it comes down to going for a Sms Guild product or buying yet another adventure from WOTC in-store then it will be the WOTC adventure.
Yeah... because it’s an even tie between buying a $50 hardcover every four months and buying a periodical $5 adventure or small accessory...
It’s pretty easy to do both. I don’t think paying for a DMsGuild PDF is going to put the storyline adventures out of financial reach of anyone.
Plus, the DMsGuild remains an option for people other than DMs who want to purchase material.

Also, Heroes Handbook from Kobold Press can be purchased from stores. They can order one in.

DM Howard

Explorer
Yeah... because it’s an even tie between buying a $50 hardcover every four months and buying a periodical $5 adventure or small accessory...
It’s pretty easy to do both. I don’t think paying for a DMsGuild PDF is going to put the storyline adventures out of financial reach of anyone.
Plus, the DMsGuild remains an option for people other than DMs who want to purchase material.

Also, Heroes Handbook from Kobold Press can be purchased from stores. They can order one in.
Yes... because the majority of the stuff available on the DM's Guild is a worthy comparison to a third party product like the one you mentioned.

Oh wait. They aren't. Not even close.

Yes... because the majority of the stuff available on the DM's Guild is a worthy comparison to a third party product like the one you mentioned.

Oh wait. They aren't. Not even close.
So in the last three posts you’ve come down on the DMsGuild because it’s not as visible as stores. And then because it competes with stores. And now you’re saying the problem is that it’s quality is low.
Pick a story.

WotC turned to several DMsGuild adventure writers to flesh out Dragon Heist and Dungeon of the Mad Mage. So clearly they disagree...
Seriously, attacking every single document on the site is low. Yeah, there’s some terrible stuff there. But there’s also some stuff that’s better than the stuff WotC put out.
Again, check out the Adept releases and the bestsellers.
It’s. Not. Hard.

I remember the 3.5e days when WotC was responsible for all the content. They put out some stinkers of books. Being “official” doesn’t confer any magical design powers. There’s some great stuff on the Guild for those willing to take the chance.

Reynard

Legend
I've read this several times since 5th Edition was released but I don't get it. I started with 2E and I felt like 2E had an enormous amount of options and "rules bloat" attached to it.

Core 2E has none of that. There was certainly a huge amount of player facing supplements in 2E to go along with the settings and DM facing stuff, but the Core 3 was a beautiful, complete, amazing version of the game, surpassed on IMO by BECMI.

Remove ads

Remove ads