Mearls On D&D's Design Premises/Goals

First of all, thanks Morrus for collecting this. I generally avoid Twitter because, frankly, it's full of a$$holes. That aside: this is an interesting way of looking at it, and underscores the difference in design philosophies between the WotC team and the Paizo team. There is a lot of room for both philosophies of design, and I don't think there is any reason for fans of one to be hostile to...

First of all, thanks [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] for collecting this. I generally avoid Twitter because, frankly, it's full of a$$holes.

That aside: this is an interesting way of looking at it, and underscores the difference in design philosophies between the WotC team and the Paizo team. There is a lot of room for both philosophies of design, and I don't think there is any reason for fans of one to be hostile to fans of the other, but those differences do matter. There are ways in which I like the prescriptive elements of 3.x era games (I like set skill difficulty lists, for example) but I tend to run by the seat of my pants and the effects of my beer, so a fast and loose and forgiving version like 5E really enables me running a game the way I like to.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
I call this 'internal consistency'.

That works, too.

Agreed re 5e rest mechanics. Agreed to a point re attunement, as one can easily come up with an in-fiction rationale for it. Ditto concentration - it makes sense in a few instances but 5e went overboard with it as a balancing mechanic.

Yep, and then they have spells that violate their own principles, such as Mirror Image.

As for 1e: I don't mind some races flat-out not being able to be some classes ( [MENTION=7706]SkidAce[/MENTION] mentions Dwarven wizards as an excellent example, with which I fully agree) but I feel that if you can be a class at all there should be no arbitrary racial limits on how far you can advance. Stat-based limits, sure - you have to be smart enough to advance to this level of wizard, or wise enough to be allowed into the innermost mysteries of your temple, or nimble enough to master the most demanding aspects of thievery - and note this in a small way builds in racial limits as some races simply can't achieve high scores in some stats.

I don't mind limits if they're provided an in-game rationale. In my own campaign world it's a rare elf who's a divine caster. That's because gods are a human thing. (And now they've been banished from the world due to campaign events, and are thus very rare.) Becoming a divine caster for an elf means seriously following a god, which means abandoning the elven way. This comes with in game consequences. However, if a player wanted to provide a rationale, sure, I'd let them.

Lan-"half the characters in my game right now are probably at or beyond their RAW level limits by race - hasn't hurt the game any"-efan

:heh: Those draconian "balancer" mechanics are often not needed.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
I dislike attunement also. Okay with concentration though.

I don't mind either in principle, but the execution of both just throws me out of the fiction. It pushes me to look for spells that aren't concentration so I don't have to worry about it, for instance.

Attunement is also annoying because slot swapping is yet another reason for the ubiquitous short rest. Evidently it's a law of the universe that 3 is the number and the number is always 3.

(except there is no such thing as a dwarven wizard, never has been, all the dwarves will tell you so, unless they find you rude for bringing it up, cause its a taboo discussion, and the end of the world is at stake/could be caused)

Aldarc

Legend
I would say one of the most egregious problems of 5e, for me at least, is the odd balance between Short and Long Rest-dependent classes. It makes running encounters a bit trickier. Though sometimes the Per Short Rest folk come out ahead in days with lots of encounters, more often then not the Per Day folk come out on the better end of things because encounters in most games I have played tend to be rarer per day than assumed.

Ditto concentration - it makes sense in a few instances but 5e went overboard with it as a balancing mechanic.
Having played Pathfinder lately, concentration is a godsend for preventing buff stacking. I had many end game fights where, before rushing in to face a boss, the party would stop and cast buff spells for a solid minute.
And every NPC in Pathfinder tended to have variant statblocks of them without buffs as most had a half-dozen magical effects on them.

Plus, knowing that you can knock out someone's concentration and end a negative spell affecting an ally is great and allows for some amazing teamwork. Dropping the evil wizard's concentration has led to some great moments at my table.

Attunement is also annoying because slot swapping is yet another reason for the ubiquitous short rest. Evidently it's a law of the universe that 3 is the number and the number is always 3.
It needs to be a number, so why not three? Three has literary significance and religious significance.

Three is also just the baseline. If you need more because you're handing out more magic items and want a more monty haul game, then it becomes four or five. If you have a magic-lite setting with that kind of item being rare and special, then perhaps a single attunement slot works.

5ekyu

Hero
If it was limited to just that, of course not, but the hand of DC creep is in other areas of the game, too.

I wouldn't do this with everything, it's just an example. But what doing something like this would provide is a way to make a lot of the non-combat (exploration, social) aspects more interesting than you can do with just a binary success/fail system where the only boost to a character is by making their numbers higher.

4E had that with skill challenges, but the way the designers built it they tried to force all players to participate. Or at least that's how they were often interpreted. I found it led to absurdities such as the barbarian doing pushups to impress the king in a social encounter.

So basically I'm suggesting (a) keeping numbers lower to respect bounded accuracy and (b) make more use of things that function in a way similar to the good aspects of skill challenges (i.e., requiring X successes before Y failures) without the bad aspects.

Sure. As I've said before and this isn't something we need to rehash, I wasn't a giant fan of the "let's throw out the cosmology, abandon the alignment system as weird as the old one was, change most of the names, introduce all sorts of weird races, etc." that happened with 4E. 4E had a lot of good ideas that I think went too far and drifted into the uncanny valley/dungeon of game design. I'm not saying other people were wrong to like 4E but I think uncanniness combined with D&D generally being the only game in town go a long way to explaining why many people had the reaction they did.

But with regards to the heavy hand of the designer, IMO one of the worst aspects of the 5E design is precisely the rest system and the degree to which different characters are dependent on it, so I'm with you there.

The main thing is that I feel more free in 5E to move things around, switch out abilities or powers, and I generally have a much better intuitive feel for it than I ever did with 4E. It feels and runs much more like prior versions of D&D. A 4E class is pretty intricately constructed and a 4E monster, as you noted elsewhere, requires a good bit of pre-planning. A 5E class is generally a fairly well laid out chassis with some customization. In addition, 5E is much less level banded than 4E was due to bounded accuracy. You can still viably use much lower CR threats.
On a minor note, my first house rule in 5e was that extended tasks (takes more than a turn or two) are resolved using trio- checks where you work to get three successes before getting three failures and depending on the nature of the task different "skill" can provide different ways to get those successes. (Derived from their death saves.)

5ekyu

Hero
Yeah, I want them to succeed, too, but I don't want it to be trivial and even more I want to respect bounded accuracy. I mean, most people don't enjoy cakewalk combat after combat where the PCs just wipe the opposition without any challenge.

And to be 100% clear, I would NOT run every lock (or whatever) as a mini skill challenge. Most locks wouldn't be that. I'd only want to use it for something that's supposed to be difficult.
Worth noting that the default definition of not getting the needed DC for ability checks in the PHB can be makes some progress with setback, not just fails to make progress.

So technically from the day one definition, failure doesn't mean any lock remains unpicked if that's not a result th GM chooses.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Context my friend. Context. We've been discussing one side attacking the other. Context is your friend. "That" in the context of our discussion clearly meant your claim that one side has to be attacking the other before initiative is rolled. It doesn't.

Are you seriously taking issue with my use of the word combat for a situation in which at least one side is attacking the other? I don't know how you think combat could happen without creatures attacking each other.

Yep! Nothing says that has to happen before initiative or surprise is rolled. T[w]o groups sneaking around looking for people to attack can surprise each other before anyone ever attacks.

What are they surprised by if not surprise attacks? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I'm imagining what you're describing is two parties are sneaking along, each undetected by the other, until they come upon each other at an intersection. At that point in time, they both notice each other, so by the surprise rules, no one is surprised if combat breaks out. Am I missing something here?

See, in language, words mean things. I bolded the part that says I'm right. It specifies typical for a reason. And that reason as that there will be atypical combat encounters that don't fit that mold. All of your quotes and explanations are brought to ruin by the one word. In an atypical encounter, two sides can be surprised and roll initiative before anyone moves to attack.

I don’t think the word typical explains how participants “in a battle” “engage in combat” by standing around dumbfounded that they’ve managed to bump into someone else in a dungeon. Has it occurred to you that combat is typically a clash between two sides because sometimes it’s a clash between three or more sides? Or would you rather maintain your assertion that sometimes combat isn't a clash between any sides, at which point I think we've departed significantly from the meaning of the word combat?

Yes it is. By specifying "direct opposition", they automatically create "indirect opposition". You can't have one without the other.

Well, they give two examples of directly opposed efforts in the contest section, another two in the section on melee attacks in the form of grapple and shove attacks, and of course the most common example is in the hiding rules, but there aren't any examples or mention in the book of efforts that are considered indirectly opposed. I honestly don't think it's worth distinguishing them as a separate category.

Contests are also defined in the "Contests in Combat" sidebar as representing challenges that pit one participants prowess against that of another. In initiative, each participant's Dexterity, which represents prowess in reacting quickly among other things, is pitted against the Dexterity of his/her opponents.

Me:
If I'm trying to hit you with my sword before you cast a spell on me, I'd say my effort to do so is directly opposed to your effort to cast your spell before I hit [sic] run you through.​

You:
Cool beans. 1. Those are not ability checks, so they don't matter to a discussion on ability checks, and 2. they are not initiative.

Both of your statements are false. Initiative is how we find out whether I'm successful in swinging my sword before you cast your spell, so it most certainly is initiative, and initiative most certainly is an ability check.

This is a cop out. You don't get to assume motives for the game designer, especially when his answer doesn't even remotely indicate such a motive. Let me demonstrate.

I understand that Jeremy Crawford has said that the initiative roll is not a contest, but I also think Alf told him to say what he said, rather than just say it was a contest.

My answer quite literally has as much to back it up as yours does.

There's no indication from his tweet that his motive has anything to do with combat sometimes involving more than two participants or the degree of directness of the opposition represented by initiative.

pemerton

Legend
There have always been classes that require more / less rest or what have you.
I'm not sure what you mean by "always". In 4e all classes are on the same resource recovery schedule. It makes a huge difference to how 4e plays, because intraparty balance is not hostage to any notion of the "adventuring day".

Imaro

Legend
I'm not sure what you mean by "always". In 4e all classes are on the same resource recovery schedule. It makes a huge difference to how 4e plays, because intraparty balance is not hostage to any notion of the "adventuring day".

I believe there were exceptions like the classes in PHB 3 as well as some of the essentials classes.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I don't mind limits if they're provided an in-game rationale. In my own campaign world it's a rare elf who's a divine caster. That's because gods are a human thing. (And now they've been banished from the world due to campaign events, and are thus very rare.) Becoming a divine caster for an elf means seriously following a god, which means abandoning the elven way. This comes with in game consequences.
Sure, and this is a perfectly reasonable one-off for your particular table. We're talking about the game as a whole, though, and banning or neutering Elf Clerics in the greater game wouldn't serve much useful purpose.

Jester David said:
Having played Pathfinder lately, concentration is a godsend for preventing buff stacking. I had many end game fights where, before rushing in to face a boss, the party would stop and cast buff spells for a solid minute.
And every NPC in Pathfinder tended to have variant statblocks of them without buffs as most had a half-dozen magical effects on them.
The solution there is to get rid of most of the buff spells entirely. 3e went overboard with them; as PF is 3e's direct descendant the problem remains. In 5e the same solution applies - get rid of a lot of the buff spells and then ask if you still need concentration for anything other than a very few spells where it makes narrative (and maybe balance-ive) sense.

A side effect of ditching buffs, for those as care about such, would be to make encounter planning easier: you wouldn't have to take into account the buffed-or-not-buffed variable for either the PCs or the foes.

Lanefan

Remove ads

Remove ads