Mearls On D&D's Design Premises/Goals

First of all, thanks Morrus for collecting this. I generally avoid Twitter because, frankly, it's full of a$$holes. That aside: this is an interesting way of looking at it, and underscores the difference in design philosophies between the WotC team and the Paizo team. There is a lot of room for both philosophies of design, and I don't think there is any reason for fans of one to be hostile to...

First of all, thanks [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] for collecting this. I generally avoid Twitter because, frankly, it's full of a$$holes.

That aside: this is an interesting way of looking at it, and underscores the difference in design philosophies between the WotC team and the Paizo team. There is a lot of room for both philosophies of design, and I don't think there is any reason for fans of one to be hostile to fans of the other, but those differences do matter. There are ways in which I like the prescriptive elements of 3.x era games (I like set skill difficulty lists, for example) but I tend to run by the seat of my pants and the effects of my beer, so a fast and loose and forgiving version like 5E really enables me running a game the way I like to.

pemerton

Legend
if there are modifiers to that roll, then that helps, because some situations are harder than others - without modifiers then I would feel it is a bad rule.
In the game that that rule comes from - Dungeon World - the way we find out whether or not one situation was harder than another is by seeing how the dice come out. (A bit like how, in Moldvay Basic, we learn if these goblins are friendlier than those goblins by finding out how the reaction roll pans out - it's "fortune in the middle" with the fiction being read, in part, off the result of the roll. Gygax uses the same approach for hit points and saving throws in his DMG - we learn if the poison got into the wound or not by seeing how the save comes out; we don't first decide how badly poisoned the PC was and use that to affect the saving throw.)

There is one modifier, though: INT. So choosing to play a high-INT PC is choosing to play a PC who is more likely, more of the time, to be able to oblige the GM to tell one interesting and perhaps useful stuff. That's a who decision - I'm playing the person who knows stuff - that manifests itself as a what/how - I do well when I engage the game by trying to learn stuff about the situation and put it to use.

I think that 5e could be drifted in that direction, at least in respect of its ability/skill check mechanics (combat not so much); but that is not how it is presented in the published rules, at least as I understand them and as I see them talked about on these forums.

hawkeyefan

Legend
You can list attire, or not, just as you can list weapons and armour, or not.

D&D lists weapons and armour. I don't believe it even mentions attire in this context.

It does, although any impact on play is left up to the players and DM.

Seems to me to be a case of placing focus on what's important to the game. In D&D, weapons and armor are more central than the finery of one's clothes. It's more important that the fighter is wearing plate armor than that the wizard is wearing a robe, or a scholar's outfit.

Prince Valiant doen't list weapons at all (or rather, it indicates that a decent weapon grants a 1-die bonus to the pool) and it lists armour only as light, medium and heavy. It also mentions that attire and other signs of status or prestige can give a bonus when trying to influence others based on that status or prestige.

Groovy.

Would you say that the Prince Valiant game is striving for the same thing that D&D is? I'm not familiar with the game beyond seeing it mentioned from time to time.

Burning Wheel has very detailed rules for weapons and armour (comparable to RuneQuest or Rolemaster in compelxity). It has sparser rules for attire, having "costs" (which in BW take the form of "points" in PC creation and difficulties for Resource checks in play) for normal gear and (what it calls) "finery", plus general rules for advantages and disadvantages on checks, and mentions that what one is wearing might confer an advantage or disadvantage on a check.

That's cool. For me, the sparser rules for clothing don't seem important enough to be set in stone ahead of play rather than deciding during play the impact if it ever came up. I'm also not against a simpler weapon system if D&D had adopted such. Something like what Dungeon World does would have been fine with me. But I don't mind that they instead went with a list of weapons that each has their own properties and advantages or drawbacks.

Marvel Heroic RP doesn't (as best I recall) mention attire, but it has a generic rule for creating resources. I once had a PC use this rule to equip Nightcrawler with an image inducer to get a bonus die when meeting people at a nightclub. Attire might be established via the same mechanic.

Sounds like lazy design to me.

I'm increasingly unfond of static bonuses on roll-to-beat-difficulty checks, because they muck up the maths. So of your possibilities I would favour advantage over a +2. This is closer to introducing another die into the pool in the other systems I've mentioned.

Sure, I was just giving examples. An additional dice to a pool would be another example. And I agree about static bonuses versus a simpler mechanic.

But, my point was that the mechanics are determined ahead of time, so is the issue you have with my comment about the GM not having much influence here more about where the influence is applied? Do you not like the idea that the GM may have to decide a mechanic to apply when a player comes up with an idea?

Do you prefer the mechanics always exist prior, so the the GM's job is more clearly defined in that he sets the DC (or at the very least consults the book to determine the DC)?

If it's not GM input that you do not like, then what's the issue with the GM deciding what mechanic to apply based on the situation?

I don't think that suggestions (for either players or GMs) about ways in which advantage might be gained, and suggestions about how this might correlate to money spent, are limiting. That's certainly not been my experience in systems that have them. I especially think that guidelines that help GMs manage the maths of what are rather intricate systems are helpful. To pick just two examples: Rolemaster is pretty hopeless at this; 4e is pretty strong at this. And when the GM is supported by robust guidelines over the top of robust maths, I think it's easier to run with player ideas without worrying about them breaking the system.

(Which presumably is one worry, maybe a major worry, for those in this thread who have expressed concerns about powergaming.)

I don't know if I agree. I mean, I like the idea of a GM being supported by guidelines...I think that's largely what 5E does. Large portions of the DMG are about exactly that. I think that works well, and it's pretty much exactly why I like 5E. So it seems odd to me that we each view this as desirable, but seem to have opposing views?

However, when rules are heavily codified, I think it does limit the players. There are plenty of anecdotes where a new player wows everyone at the table by coming up with some totally unexpected idea. This happens because they don't know the rules. They don't know what they are allowed and not allowed to do. Creating a list of actions to add to an attempt at Influence/Diplomacy/Persuasion is limiting by its nature. It says "here's what you can do to improve your ability to influence". Which implies that things not on that list cannot affect influence.

For me, I prefer that such things be left up to me. Since they often rely on the GM using judgment anyway, I don't see the harm in allowing the GM to decide the effect of an action on the check, or on the outcome of the check.

As for powergaming and narrative approach, I think that Mearls meant that they focused more on narrative differences from character to character within the same class, rather than an overwhelming number of options in that class in order to differentiate. So instead of worrying about having a fighter subclass for each possible weapon type and so on, they said here are a few mechanical options, and here are others such as background, and bonds and flaws where you can make your fighter different from the other guys.

I don't think he's saying the sole way to differentiate is through these narrative means, nor is he describing D&D as a narrative game in the sense commonly used on these boards, but he's saying that the "options" that exist to create a unique character are more narrative based than they've been for D&D.

pemerton

Legend
If you have nothing to say regarding doing a comparison of levels between 1e and 5e, please stop. If you do, then address that. Thanks!
I didn't make any such comparison. You're the one who brought it into the conversation.

I compared levels in 5e to levels in 5e, based on a change in the turning mechanic of the sort that [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] speculated about.

In the game that that rule comes from - Dungeon World - the way we find out whether or not one situation was harder than another is by seeing how the dice come out. (A bit like how, in Moldvay Basic, we learn if these goblins are friendlier than those goblins by finding out how the reaction roll pans out - it's "fortune in the middle" with the fiction being read, in part, off the result of the roll. Gygax uses the same approach for hit points and saving throws in his DMG - we learn if the poison got into the wound or not by seeing how the save comes out; we don't first decide how badly poisoned the PC was and use that to affect the saving throw.)

Genesys works not unlike that - it uses FFG's Star Wars narrative dice system, which really loosens up play.

The reason I thought "Bad rule" - I don't know about Dungeon World (haven't played it), but D&D seems to be intended for a wide range of styles, and without specific X difficulty description = specific die rolls, you can have both of these at different tables both using the same system:

DM one wants a really freewheeling feel to combat and the game, swashbuckle and all. So a Player wants to swing from a chandelier to jump down to make an entrance, the DM might set the DC for the Chandelier at 5, because he wants to encourage that kind of behavior.
DM two wants a low fantasy thieves council full of sneak and intriuge and wants things down to earth - the same situation this GM might set the DC at 15 or 18, as it isn't something that works in his world.

Which is why I said it works for some games and not for others - if the game has a tight focus on the tone it is creating hardcoding the DCs works. If the game is intended to cover multiple styles and approaches on different tables (or is a universal game) then it would be less useful. Even Hero (a game I mentioned before) while roll under has very different approaches in different genres for adjusting modifiers depending on tone. But I tend towards system that are very broad in application or Universal games (two of the three games I play now - Genesys and HERO - are both universal).

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I did some quick counts over at DnDBeyond because I was curious. There are
37 races
12 classes
80 sub-classes
34 backgrounds
60 feats

So mathematically, there are thousands of options depending on how you calculate it.
So when I say I don’t care how many options I can spend my character building resources on, I care how many character building resources I have to spend, you go find out how many options I can spend each of the character building resources on? There could be 5000 each of races, classes, subclassss, backgrounds, and Feats, that wouldn’t change the number of decision points in character building, it would only change the number of permutations possible with the same set of decision points. I don’t care how many permutations there are, I care how many decision points there are. Making decisions is the most important part of the game to me.

I know ... you'll tell me that 99.9% of those are not "valid" options because it wouldn't make sense to run a <insert race> <insert class> and that <insert feat, background, whatever> wouldn't make sense. It's not that there aren't more options than you could play, it seems that most options are eliminated out of the gate or that playing a combination that isn't "optimal" isn't valid.
Really? You know that? Because I don’t give a hot turd about which options are optimal. Kindly do not assume my motivations.

I care about being able to make a champion fighter that plays mechanically differently than Tommy’s champion fighter. It’s fine if she’s worse, as long as she’s different. Character building for me is about self-expression, not power, and currently 5e does not give me the tools to express a character differently than other characters of the same class and subclass. At best, I’ll have slightly different modifiers to the same exact actions if I choose different Feats and ASIs, but those differences are minor and come several levels apart.

Even if there were more options, a lot of people would still gravitate to a handful of optimal options. It would be the same complaint or the complaint would be that there are so many options that build X is broken. Personally I'd be happy running my dwarven rogue or gnome barbarian because I don't care all that much about eaking out numerical supremacy, it's just not that important.

If they had more options, it would just lead to a game of grognard character building that they were trying to avoid. I also think it wouldn't really solve anything because there will always be a handful of builds that on a spreadsheet look best.
I thought the 5e philosophy was supposed to be about not designing around negative player behavior. Power gamers gonna powergame, just like bad DMs gonna DM badly. No sense hamstringing the game just to proved them less ammo.

As far as decisions being front-loaded, that is a good point. Not sure that it's really all that different though from previous editions. I always had a general idea of where my PC was going to go, and you had to have certain prerequisites to qualify for prestige classes so it was more of an illusion of choice than anything.
Yes, and this is one of the many reasons I hate 3.X. Because despite drowning players in mechanical options, the over-specific prerequisites make it impossible to build a character as you go. If you want to play a particular prestige class, you have to plan all your skill ranks ahead of time so you can meet the prerequisites, which means that in effect, all of the decisions there are front loaded too. All it achieves is making character creation a painfully long and fiddly process. Conversely, 4e figures out how to give players choices to make at every level, and didnt punish players who made those decisions as they went. Sure, there were some optimized builds, but you weren’t made to feel useless for choosing the cool, interesting options as you went, rather than building the perfect optimized machine before play even starts.

In 5E you have the option of multi-classing which you can do at any time, much more flexible than early editions.
Yeah, multiclassing is... an option, I guess. I’ve never really liked it. I want to make a rogue, who is a rogue, but plays a little differently than Shannon’s rogue, not a rogue who’s also a warlock and a sorcerer.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
The kind that give me acid!

That's not really my speed, but to each their own. I would highly recommend to always have a trip buddy, though. It's important to know when the dragon is a hallucination, and when the dragon is real, man.

Remove ads

Remove ads