D&D General Mechanics you DO want to see return

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I do miss the following mechanics from the 3rd Edition rules.
  • Ability score penalties by race. Never understood why your choice of race could only make you better at something, and never worse.
  • Monster templates. This is my biggest wish for the next iteration of the game.
  • Favored Classes. It just feels weird to have multiclassing without it.
  • Exotic Weapons. I always appreciated some weapons having a learning curve, no matter what your class was.
  • Favored Weapons for clerics. I always liked the flavor they brought.

NotAYakk

Legend
How about some OD&D mechanics?

HD as monster difficulty.

Attributes that don't modify to-hit or spell success chances (presumed competence).

I'd like to see:

Different bl/pr/sl armour values come back. I'd like the choice of weapon to be more meaningful.

Weapon-sizes. A dagger for a human should be a shortsword for a gnome and impossible to use for a pixie.

oreofox

Explorer
--I would love AD&D ability scores. An 18 used to be amazing, and 20 was basically unheard of. Getting those Guantlets of Ogre Power and boosting your Str to 19 was something fighters looked forward to. Now, with a 19 being no different from 18, and most fighters having a 20 in Str by the time you'd get those gauntlets, they are rather useless unless you want to give it to a wizard or cleric so they can carry more.

Sadly, to get that to work within the framework of 5e, you'd have to change so much more. You'd need a "Spell To Hit Modifier" for Wisdom, Intelligence, and Charisma stats, damage bonus for Dexterity to allow finesse weapons to work (as well as bows), and quite a bit more that my brain doesn't quite want to remember this late at night. I had honestly attempted to implement such a thing, even going to adjust all the monsters to reflect the changes to ability score modifications, but doing all that seemed a bit too ambitious.

--Also, crit modifiers for weapons again. Greatsword used to crit on a 19-20, while a greataxe gave x3 damage. Now, the greatsword is the better of the weapons because you never deal 1 damage on a die roll.

Bring back a lot of stuff from 3rd edition (damage reduction types expanded for one), as well as a lot from 2e (the ability score thing, resurrection %, system shock %). Oh, and make something similar to Pathfinder 1e's animal companion thing. And divorce ASI and feats from each other as well as from class (similar to 3e).

Hussar

Legend
heh. You know I have to say it.

Warlords.

Heh.

I'd also love to see Morale make a come back.

Monster creation rules a la 4e - the ability to create monsters entirely on the fly and they mechanically work was FANTASTIC.

Binders

Coroc

Hero
  • Ability score penalties by race. Never understood why your choice of race could only make you better at something, and never worse.
  • Monster templates. This is my biggest wish for the next iteration of the game.
  • Favored Classes. It just feels weird to have multiclassing without it.
  • Exotic Weapons. I always appreciated some weapons having a learning curve, no matter what your class was.
  • Favored Weapons for clerics. I always liked the flavor they brought.

Well that ability score thing seems to be some sort of snowflake protection for me. In the end you can build your char like you want to (with point buy). I am annoyed that mountain dwarf can be stronger than human at the start of the game. I am fine with halforc getting +2, but why the heck should Bruenor best Conan strengthwise?

I houserule this with normally only allowing hill dwarf, I love it that dwarves can have more hitpoints, big constitution that is dwarf for me, and they are a strong race but to make them stronger than human the reason for that eludes me.

Remove ads