• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Meditations on BECMI/Classic

Dausuul

Legend
Last night, in memory of Gary Gygax, some friends and I got together and played an impromptu game of Classic D&D (or BECMI, if you prefer; the red box/blue box/cyan box/black box game where only the thief knows how to walk quietly and "elf" and "dwarf" are classes).

And I have to say that I was amazed.

A bit of background: I cut my gaming teeth on BECMI back when dinosaurs ruled the earth--okay, twenty years ago--but fairly soon made the jump to AD&D and 2nd Edition. As far as I know, I was the only member of the group who had ever played it. Of the others, I believe two had learned on 2E and three on 3E. I myself was very rusty on the mechanics, so there was a definite learning curve for everybody. ("Wait... so which is good in this edition, high numbers or low numbers?" "Depends on what you're rolling!")

Nevertheless, they all rolled up characters in the 8th- to 9th-level range (I handed out 200K experience, modified by prime requisite), and I ran them through a hastily thrown-together dungeon. And it was a blast. The energy was incredible throughout, the action was fast and furious, and everybody was clearly having a great time. By the end of the game, the entire party had been wiped out except for the magic-user, who used magic jar to take over the body of a fire giant and eked out a victory in the final boss fight by the skin of his teeth... but I didn't hear anyone complaining.

Afterward, I took a while to think about what had made the game so exciting. While there was certainly some nostalgia value for me, the same was not true for anybody else. Yet everyone seemed to be as much into it as I was; indeed, one of the players who had come to D&D by way of 3.5E said he liked Classic better.

Here are some of the things that struck me about playing Classic:

#1: Virtually no arithmetic. The only addition involved was in damage rolls, and not a lot even there. Everything else was just "roll the die and compare to a number." Saving throws, attack rolls (consulting a chart), the thief's special abilities--all just number comparison. You wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference, but it does. Even the most basic math requires pulling your attention off the game for a second or two, and those seconds add up to a substantial energy drain.

#2: Ruleset limited in scope, but within that scope, very decisive. There's no waffling in Classic. Either the rules say what happens in a given situation, or they don't. If they do, they're up-front about it, without a lot of obscure corner cases tucked away in weird places. If they don't, the DM wings it; and since the system makes no bones about requiring the DM to wing it, there's no flipping through the book trying to figure out if the rules cover this or not. Just make a decision on the fly and keep right on going.

#3: Related to #2, character actions less restricted by rules. This is more a psychological issue than a mechanical one, but... in 3.5E, the rules try to cover every eventuality. As a result, people get used to operating within the framework of what the rules allow, and they tend to think about their actions in mechanical terms rather than in game-world terms. In Classic, that's not the case--there's so much stuff the rules just don't cover that you have to go beyond them, and that gets players thinking more about what's actually going on.

#4: Lack of finicky restrictions. This was particularly noticeable with the magic-user, whose spells were mind-blowingly free of limitations by 3.5E standards. Obviously, this had its down side--the M-U totally dominated the session, racking up a spectacular kill count against a horde of troglodytes, then winning the final fight thanks to his possessed body's innate fire immunity. But I was struck by the... well, for lack of a better word, the "gung-ho-ness" of the spell list. The designers were obviously looking to make the spells do Cool Stuff, to be exciting and fun to use. By comparison, 3.5E spells feel like they were written by accountants and tax lawyers.

#5: No maps, no minis, no battlemat. Our group has gotten into the habit of using minis and battlemats for 3.5E, but we played Classic without, and it really punched up the energy level. There wasn't any mapping either.

#6: No iterative attacks. 'Nuff said.

#7: Overall speed. Thanks to all of the above, we blew through an astonishing number of combats at a very rapid clip. The dungeon involved the following:

Three ogre sentries at the entrance, with a bell to summon reinforcements if they didn't get taken out fast.
A collapsing ledge and a souped-up crab spider that ambushed the fighter immediately afterward.
Half a dozen troglodytes.
Fifty regular troglodytes, a trog priest, a trog war-leader, and their bone golem god.
Another ogre sentry.
A barracks with a dozen sleeping ogres in it.
A fire giant.
A red dragon.

And we played out every one of those battles in the span of about three hours. (Admittedly, the fire giant fight ended very quickly when the M-U cast magic jar and the giant failed his save.) A similar 3.5E adventure would have taken twice as long.

So, how does all this relate to 4E? Well, obviously 4E gets rid of iterative attacks, and combat is by all accounts quicker. It also looks like there's a shift toward removing finicky restrictions from spells and special powers--albeit balancing them better--and if arithmetic isn't being removed, it is at least being stripped down and simplified. And it seems the scope of the ruleset is being reduced somewhat. So in a lot of ways, we appear to be moving back toward Classic.

On the other hand, 4E does not appear to be moving away from the use of minis, rather the reverse. I'm hoping the system will allow for some flexibility in this area. There's a wargamey fun to battlemat combat, but last night convinced me that it's a mistake to break out the minis for every fight. I'd like to be able to play out the lesser battles in "story-space" and only switch to minis for the big boss fights.

I'm also thinking about the Digital Initiative. There seems to be a built-in dice roller. If the interface is clean and quick enough, it might be worth sacrificing the feel of physical dice, in order to let the digital roller handle the number-crunching. Even stripped-down number-crunching is still number-crunching, after all; it still forces the player to take his/her mind off the game and do math, simple as that math may be.

For everyone who has or can get hold of a copy of the Classic rules, I really encourage you to give them a whirl, if only for old time's sake. It offers a different perspective on the game, one that's easy to lose in the minutiae of 3.5E and the anticipation of 4E. Classic has its flaws, to be sure--a lot of them--but it has its strong points too.

Last edited:

Dragonblade

Adventurer
I have a cherished copy of the Rules Cyclopedia. I pull it out and read through it every now and again. Haven't played using those rules in ages though.

I'm really interested in Mouseferatu's claim that 4e reminds him of BECMI/Rules Cyclopedia. That would be fantastic in my opinion.

Callikah

First Post
ive never played the 1st edition of d&d but from what i just read im itching to try it out, i wonder if my nearest flgs will be running a game as tribute...time to find that number and give em a call methinks :)

as for the mini's thing i couldnt agree with u more, i can get more roleplaying mileage from describing a displacer beast or a simple party of orcs hunting the pc's than i ever could by using mini's, last time i used mini's the players lost interest in the descriptions i gave and the game degenerated into little more than a board game with the pc's only bothering to give me instructions based off of what they precieved there mini's could do based on the set up they could see.

i will use mini's for extra visual aids when it comes to stuff like scale but i really dont want to use em for everything.

Wormwood

Adventurer
I was burned out after 7 years of 3e. The rules, the design, the philosophy---it was just too much work for too little reward. The final nail in the coffin was teaching the game to my wife and nephews. Perhaps they would have responded more positively with a better DM, but in the end they just felt stifled and overwhelmed by the rules.

So I scrapped the campaign. Someone here suggested I try Basic Fantasy, and while I was very impressed with that game, I opted instead to dust off my old Moldvay Basic Set and run Keep on the Borderlands (for the first time in 20 years).

Long story short: it ran like a dream, they loved the game, and when my nephews moved to Texas two months ago, they took my Basic & Expert sets and modules with them.

They're still playing, last I heard.

Last edited:

shawnsse

First Post
I've played both D&D Basic & Expert and AD&D 1st edition. I would say it is the era thingy.

The style of writing Gary Gygax and others present in the rulebooks gave a very different feel from the cuurent one.

And also the way we think in that era were vastly different from this era. Computer games was not the norm. Internet was a dream. MMORPG was unheard of. Boardgames were "kings". Card games like "Magic the Gathering" has not existed.

It was the old school of thought.

4E mechanics will not bring back the original feel but it can build a similiar feel and yet distinctly different flavor.

Some of the feel will always be a memory. For me the best years of D&D basic and AD&D was in the 80s.

Today, I awaits a new experience with 4E : )

Shawn

Clavis

First Post
IMHO "Classic" D&D, which culminated in the Rules Cyclopedia, remains the best (meaning the most fun) version of D&D. It's a shame that WOTC doesn't sell the classic game in a hardcopy edition again (as opposed to just PDFs). They really should take advantage of the new print-to-order technology to make the classic game available. They wouldn't even have to promote it (and therefore have it compete against 4th Edition); just make hard-copy prints available. It goes without saying that WOTC shouldn't try to "improve" the game, just present the rules as they were. Rather than have the grognards be a force working against the company, WOTC could then turn them into customers again.

Last edited:

EATherrian

First Post
Wormwood said:
I was burned out after 7 years of 3e. The rules, the design, the philosophy---it was just too much work for too little reward. The final nail in the coffin was teaching the game to my wife and nephews. Perhaps they would have responded more positively with a better DM, but in the end they just felt stifled and overwhelmed by the rules.

So I scrapped the campaign. Someone here suggested I try Basic Fantasy, and while I was very impressed with that game, I opted instead to dust off my old Moldvay Basic Set and run Keep on the Borderlands (for the first time in 20 years).

Long story short: it ran like a dream, they loved the game, and when my nephews moved to Texas two months ago, they took my Basic & Expert sets and modules with them.

They're still playing, last I heard.

That's a great story, Wormwood, and I agree with you. I've found that if you want to introduce people to RPGs in general or D&D in particular not much beats the old classic BECMI. I might give this a try with my own nephew, you've inspired me!

~Johnny~

First Post
Thanks for the fun write-up. I apparently played a couple games of Classic with my dad and older brother when I was in gradeschool, but I have no conscious memory of it. I didn't play again until AD&D, which I read more than played.

Reading this makes me want to give OD&D a try again sometime.

I don´t know much of 1st edition. I started playing with second edition. I was impressed with 3rd editions approach, but: it failed somehow...

as already said: imagination was killed by rules. In ADnD it was clear, that the mage was superior. Therefore he advances more slowly and has to be heavily protected in melee. Spells had flavour. (They were somehow written to be exploited...)

I had my best experiences with 3rd edition was always when i played with completely new players, who don´t know the (non-basic) rules yet, and just tell me what they want to do and let me take care of the mechanics...

4e will rise and fall with the implementation of rituals and the ease of applying ad hoc rules.

Puggins

Explorer
I don´t know much of 1st edition. I started playing with second edition. I was impressed with 3rd editions approach, but: it failed somehow...

1st edition and what Dausuul is talking about are two different beasts. 1st edition AD&D, or what most people refer to as 1e, is at least (depending on who you talk to) the 3rd edition. 4e will be at least the 6th edition.

(1) Original D&D, or OD&D, was played by very few people. It's the first true edition of D&D and includes some bizarre nomenclature- Fighters are Fighting Men, for example. I've never seen it, to be honest.

(2) Basic/Expert/Companion/Masters/Immortal Set D&D, or BECMI, wil be the edition mentioned by most grognards (including yours truly) as their first form of D&D. They were boxed sets. Basic covered 1st through 3rd edition, Expert covered 4th through 14th, etc., all teh way to 36th level and beyond (as fledgling Gods in the Immortal Set) This is the edition that Darsuul is talking about, and I think I agree with him in that it's really the best form of D&D for pure fun.

(3) 1st edition AD&D is what you're talking about. It began the long, exorable slide into rules glut that is modern D&D.

Remove ads