D&D 5E Meet Hercules, The Mightiest Demigod!

The mighty Hercules (or Heracles) is an iconic Greek hero, and a true mythological figure. Mythological Figures & Maleficent Monsters, coming soon to Kickstarter, compiles Mike Myler's fantastic column here on EN World, with brand new art in a gorgeous full-colour book.

The mighty Hercules (or Heracles) is an iconic Greek hero, and a true mythological figure. Mythological Figures & Maleficent Monsters, coming soon to Kickstarter, compiles Mike Myler's fantastic column here on EN World, with brand new art in a gorgeous full-colour book.

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 6.39.29 PM.png

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I am not the only one to identify Heracles approach to many labors as greek emphasizing of intelligence (sometimes seemingly lost in translation - under the strong dumb jock of modern interpretations).
Quoting from the above paper.
"In Greek and Roman mythology, Heracles is a heroic figure with clearly defined form and attributes. In order to become an immortal god, he relied on the superhuman strength and intelligence of a demigod. He helped mankind in times of disaster and performed the famous “Twelve Labors.” In Greek and Roman art he has a well-defined and characteristic form."

I am not the only one to identify Heracles approach to many labors as greek emphasizing of intelligence (sometimes seemingly lost in translation - under the strong dumb jock of modern interpretations).
Quoting from the above paper.
"In Greek and Roman mythology, Heracles is a heroic figure with clearly defined form and attributes. In order to become an immortal god, he relied on the superhuman strength and intelligence of a demigod. He helped mankind in times of disaster and performed the famous “Twelve Labors.” In Greek and Roman art he has a well-defined and characteristic form."
Agreed. Letting the river do his dirty work with those stables for instance.

Also, remember. The original greek spelling for of the name for cerberos possibly was pronounced "care-bear-roose" (also possibly not) and many agree it likely translated to something along the lines "spotted". Meaning his owner pretty much named his doggo "spot". Adorable.

(I dunno. Heracles kidnapped "spotted" and i find this amusing, albeit tangential)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Meaning his owner pretty much named his doggo "spot". Adorable.
Ummm yeah that is a fun but likely incorrect translation there is another which is more description of a hellhound.

Something I hadnt read though
"Based on commonalities in the legends of Heracles and Odysseus, author Steven Sora suggested that they were both based on the same historical person, who made his mark prior to recorded history.[7]
"

Known for Ultimately strong and Ultimately Smart... in divergent takes on the same character?

Very worth the read. Also important to point out that although Heracles starts out as a Demigod, when he dies, and his mortal half is burned, he becomes a full God, and ascends to Dwell with the Gods.
Yeah. I always found that particular transfiguration event to be a thematically particularly beautiful one. Its one of my favorite among the long list of similar mythological events.

Ummm yeah that is a fun but likely incorrect translation there is another which is more description of a hellhound.

"Based on commonalities in the legends of Heracles and Odysseus, author Steven Sora suggested that they were both based on the same historical person, who made his mark prior to recorded history.[7]
"

Known for Ultimately strong and Ultimately Smart... in divergent takes on the same character?
Thanks for the correction. Appreciated.

gyor

Legend
Agreed. Letting the river do his dirty work with those stables for instance.

Also, remember. The original greek spelling for of the name for cerberos possibly was pronounced "care-bear-roose" (also possibly not) and many agree it likely translated to something along the lines "spotted". Meaning his owner pretty much named his doggo "spot". Adorable.

(I dunno. Heracles kidnapped "spotted" and i find this amusing, albeit tangential)

I'll add has his "13th labour" likely required serious logistical and organization as well!

"

I could really easily see this being the case. They also supposedly are at the same locations some of the time. Heroception.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads