• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Meet the DANCER, a unique arcane controller.

Rachel

First Post
DANCER

Class Traits
---------------
Role: Controller. You weave in and out of the battlefield, an epitome of grace that beguiles and entrances your foes even as you sting them with pulsing waves of deadly magic and inflict debilitating statuses upon them. Your enemies can scarcely look away and are powerless to throw you from your rythmn. You lean towards striker as a secondary role.

Power Source: Arcane. You have an innate ability to cast magic through the undeniable power of your passionate movements.
Key Abilities: Charisma, Dexterity
Armor Proficiencies: Cloth
Weapon Proficiencies: Dagger, sickle, katar, sling, shuriken.
Implements: Daggers, musical instruments (hand held percussion).
Bonus to Defense: +1 Ref, +1 Will
Hit Points at lst Level: 12
Hit Points gained per Level: 5
Healing Surges per day: 6
Trained Skills: Acrobatics. From the class skills list below, choose four more trained skills at 1st level.
Class Skills: Athletics (Str), Arcana (Int), Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), History (Int), Insight (Int), Perception (Wis), Stealth (Dex), Thievery (Dex)
Class Features: Dancer State, Pyrotechnics

Dancer Class Features
-------------------------
Dancers have the following class features.

Dancer State
You may enter and leave the Rythmn of the Dance state at any time as a Free Action.

[Rythmn of the Dance]
While in this state, you dance about gracefully, turning, whirling and shifting to the melody in your mind and the passion in your soul. As you do so, you move at -2 your normal rate of speed but gain a +2 power bonus to both AC and Reflex defenses while wearing no or light armor. If you enter this state in a social setting as part of a performance,you gain a +2 power bonus to any Bluff and Diplomacy checks you make during or immediately after the performance.
Any Dancer power you possess may be used while in the Rythmn of the Dance state (unless otherwise noted).

Pyrotechnics
As an entertainer, you have mastered the ability to enhance your shows with magical prestidigations that can also harm those who would threaten you and your allies.

[Starduster]
Pausing in your dance, you strike a graceful but stern pose and unleash a spiraling display of shimmering stars at your foe.

At-Will- Arcane, Implement, Psychic
Standard Ranged 10
Target: One creature
Attack: Charisma vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d6 + Charisma modifier damage
This damage increases to 2d6 + Charisma modifier at level 21.
Special: Counts as a basic ranged attack.

[Showstopper]
Spinning about like a top, bursts of shining stars are flung about you striking down all who mean you harm.

Standard Close burst 2
Target: All enemies in burst
Hit: 1d4 + Charisma modifier damage
This damage increases to 2d4 + Cha mod at level 21.
Special: Can only be used while in the Rythmn of the Dance state.

Implements:
Dancers wield daggers to channel their arcane power. When you wield a magic dagger you can add it's enhancement bonus to the attack rolls and the damage rolls of dancer powers and dancer paragon path powers that have the implement keyword. Without an implement, you can still use these powers.
Some magical instruments, particularly hand percussion (tamborine, maraccas, triangle) may also be used as implements by the dancer.

Creating a Dancer
--------------------
Charisma and Dexterity are the most important ability scores for a dancer. Intelligence or Wisdom is a good third choice.
You may choose any powers you like, but many dancers choose feats, skills, and powers to complement their build choice.

Affliction Dancer
Your love of dance and natural affinity for rythmic movement manifests itself in mesmerizing undulations that confuse and distract.

Suggested Class Feature: Dancer State, Pyrotechnics
Suggested Feat: Alertness, Escape Artist, or Perpetual Motion (new)
Suggested Skills: Arcana, Bluff, Diplomacy, Insight
Suggested At-Will Powers: Dance of Darkening Night, Shadow Sniping
Suggested Encounter Power: Dance of Serpent's Pleasure
Suggested Daily Power: Dance of the Lost

Whirlwind Dancer
Your love of dance and natural affinity for rythmic movement is merely a means to set-up your foes for swift and unexpected reprisals.

Suggested Class Feature: Dancer State, Pyrotechnics
Suggested Feat: Combat Reflexes, Defensive Mobility, Perpetual Motion
Suggested Skills: Arcana, Athletics, Perception, Stealth
Suggested At-Will Powers: Dance of Thundering Waterfall, Elite Blade
Suggested Encounter Power: Dance of Desert's Heat
Suggested Daily Power: Tempest Field

Level 1 At-Will Steps
---------------------------

[Dance of Darkening Night]
The light, swift steps of your dancing bewilder foes then explode in a torrent of arcane energy.

Standard Action Area burst 1 within 10 squares
Requirement: Must be in the Rythmn of the Dance state.
Target: Each enemy creature in burst
Attack: Charisma vs. Fortitude
Hit: Charisma modifier damage, and the target is slowed until the end of your next turn.
Level 21: 1d10 + Charisma modifier psychic damage.

[Dance of Thundering Waterfall]
The wide sweeping circular motions of this dance fling your enemies back with a wave of arcane energy.

At-Will- Arcane, Force, Implement
Standard Action Close blast 3
Target: Each enemy creature in blast
Hit: 1d6 + Charisma modifier force damage, and you push the target a number of squares equal to your Wisdom or Intelligence modifier (whichever is higher).
Increase damage to 2d6 + Charisma modifier at 21st level.

[Elite Blade]
You take a perfectly executed step while assaulting your foe with a lightning-fast blade strike that forces it to move, too.

At-Will- Martial, Implement, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Attack: Charisma vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage. You shift 1 square and slide the target 1 square into the space you occupied.
Increase damage to 2[W] + Dexterity modifier at 21st level.

[Shadow Sniping]
You stand back and pick off targets disoriented by your dancing and your allies harried attacks.

At-Will- Implement, Weapon
Standard Action Ranged Weapon
Attack: Charisma +2 vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] damage
Increase damage to 2[W] damage at 21st level.

Level 1 Encounter Steps
------------------------------

[Cryonic Allusion]
Suddenly, your foe is overwhelmed by the sensation of biting cold and cannot bring themself to move.

Encounter- Arcane, Cold, Implement, Psychic
Standard Action Ranged 10
Hit: 1d10 + Charisma modifier cold damage, and the target is immobilized until the end of your next turn.

[Dance of Serpent's Pleasure]
You catch the eye of one particular foe and fully draw it's attention with sensuous, snake-like movements. Despite their pain, they cannot look away.

Encounter- Arcane, Charm, Implement, Psychic
Hit: 2d8 + Charisma modifier psychic damage and the target is dazed until the end of your next turn.
Increase damage to 4d8 + Charisma modifier at 21st level.

[Dance of Desert's Heat]
As you dance about, hands held high, the skin of your foes burns with arcanic fire that makes fighting diffcult.

Encounter- Arcane, Charm, Fire, Implement
Standard Action Area burst 1 within 10 squares
Hit: 2d6 + Charisma modifier fire damage and the target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.

[Strike Choreography]
With dancer's grace unmatched, you smoothly engage a foe with a deft strike from your weapon as you reposition yourself.

Encounter- Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee or Ranged weapon
Special: You can shift a number of squares equal to 1 + your Dexterity modifier either before or after the attack.
Attack: Charisma vs. AC (melee) or Dexterity vs. AC (ranged)
Hit: 2[W] + Charisma modifier damage (melee) or 2[W] + Dexterity modifier damage (ranged).

Level 1 Daily Steps
------------------------

[Circle of Life]
As you lash out at your foe with a brilliant white-hot beam, you take their life even as yours renews, following the grand circle of life.

Daily- Arcane, Healing, Implement, Radiant
Hit: 2d10 + Charisma modifier radiant damage.
Miss: Half damage.
Effect: You can spend a healing surge.

[Dance of the Dead]
The haunting pattern of your steps and the sweeping motions of your arms cause your foes to grow tired and weary.

Daily- Arcane, Implement, Necrotic
Standard Action Area burst 2 within 20 squares
Hit: 1d10 + Charisma modifier necrotic damage and the target is weakened until the end of your next turn.

[Dance of the Lost]
Distracted by the swift tempo of your steps and gyrations, your enemies lose speed and focus, making them easy targets.

Daily- Arcane, Implement, Radiant
Standard Action Area burst 1 within 20 squares
Target: Each creature in burst
Attack: Charisma vs. Will
Hit: The target is slowed and grants combat advantage (save ends both).
Aftereffect: 3d6 + Charisma modifier radiant damage, and the target grants combat advantage until the end of your next turn.
Miss: 1d6 + Charisma modifier radiant damage, and the target grants combat advantage until the end of your next turn.

[Tempest Field]
Gale force winds radiate from your furiously twirling form, lending you strength and punishing foolish foes with mighty blasts of air.

Daily- Arcane, Cold
Standard Action Personal
Effect: You gain temporary hit points to 10 + your Intelligence or Wisdom modifier (whichever is higher). Until the end of your next turn, any enemy that attacks you is knocked prone.

Level 2 Utility Steps
----------------------------
forthcoming....

PARAGON PATHS
----------------------------
Idol
This dancer's immense popularity as a master of the entertainment arts has grown throughout the civilized world and may soon reach even beyond, perhaps even to other planes of existence.

Mimic
Mimics are true masters of motion, able to performing astonishing feats of mimicry wherein they can study then near perfectly emulate the actions of their allies and even, their enemies.

Shadowdancer
The shadowdancer is so swift and so elusive that they become like shadows in the twilight, always in motion, a blur to the eye and glimpsed so briefly they seem only a figment of one's imagination.

DANCER FEATS
-------------------
[Perpetual Motion]
Prerequisite: Must be of the dancer class.
Whenever a foe misses you with a melee attack, you may shift one square as an immediate reaction.

more forthcoming....

Last edited:

eriktheguy

First Post
Hehe, steps, love it.
I would suggest making 'rhythm of the dance' an untyped bonus to REF and AC, similar to other classes that gain AC bonuses. This will help when you make utility powers, as any power bonuses to AC they provide will be diminished.
You might want to make the +2 bonus that 'rhythm of the dance' provides another power entirely. Many classes have an encounter power that gives a boost to a skill and is meant for skill challenges (glib limerick). I suggest this because -2 to movement isn't usually important outside of combat and because these encounter powers often offer as much as a +5 bonus to a skill check.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but 'showstopper' (encounter) is strictly worse than 'thundering waterfall' (at-will).
Also 'starduster' is a very average attack that you allow to be used as a ranged basic, but is an encounter. Do you see any problem with making it an at-will?
I think stances might be an interesting idea for some powers too.
I like the idea for the controller and the flavor of the powers.

Amaroq

Community Supporter
Hmm .. I was expecting a little bit more shiftiness, having just made a dance-themed villain. :D

For the villain, I gave her a Minor "shift 1 square" to represent the fluidity of motion; I also gave her a "charge" equivalent which involved shifting the distance rather than moving the distance, flavored as a handspring/somersault move. Maybe you've got those upcoming at higher levels. ;) I'd certainly expect a Utility-2 shift-as-Move power among others.

(Later edit: Oh! Strike Choreography, I just saw that. Still, more more more! :D)

Other utilities might include a "use my Acrobatics as a base for Jump" power, At-Will or Encounter .. I'd probably push "Tempest Field" to a L2 Utility (it feels reminiscent of a fighter L2 Utility) and give the dancer a Close Burst 1 or Close Burst 2 L1 Daily attack.

I think it would be an interesting idea to build up some additional Minor powers, but require a Minor to activate or maintain the Rhythm of the Dance.

Incidentally, maybe Rhythm of the Dance should be a Stance keyword, rather than a "state", to prevent multiclass-fighters, etc, from stacking stances on top of it. I'd fully expect the dancer to get an equivalent to the fighter's iconic Rain of Steel at Level 5; phrasing that as a "Dance of Blades" stance that competes with Rhythm of the Dance (trading offense for defense) would start giving the character very interesting choices to make. Hmm, especially if Rhythm of the Dance we an Encounter power rather than an At-Will/Free ... Though at that point, making Rhythm of the Dance a Requirement for powers makes those powers a lot less appealing .. still, I think its worth considering a bit before you decide one way or the other.

(I guess this came up for me because I wasn't understanding why a dancer would ever not want to be be in her Rhythm of the Dance state - she can always de-activate it for her Move action, Move her speed, then re-activate it, so it does no harm to be in-State all the time.)

Balance-wise, it looks a little weak to me (pleasant change from everybody else's classes!); the powers are fine, but the actual class elements feel a little low at first glance. The only thing that stands out is that you've given the Dancer a large list of class skills, you might trim that a little bit, maybe knocking off History, Perception, Heal, Thievery, and/or Arcana as trainable-by-default skills. Characters can always access one of those via a Background if they really want it.

If we're expecting the Dancer to do a bit more dancing in and amongst her enemies, I think I'd give her Leather proficiency from the get-go. You might also want to consider a third build option more along the Martial vein, same base class but with more melee and close burst powers, and class features that support spinning kicks, handspring assaults, etc.

What about, is it Alertness?, as a class feat, +2 initiative and some other incidental bonus, might represent the "fast and dextrous" build well .. while also minimizing the expediency of picking up Improved Initiative.

eriktheguy

First Post
I generally approve of what Amaroq is saying. His stance idea is usable, making 'rhythm' a stance, then the dancer could 'change rhythm' during a dance and use stance powers.

On the other hand there is no particular benefit to wording any of the powers as stances. I would say its more of an artistic choice than anything. Do as you will with that one.

I also agree that the class is a little weak, so don't be afraid to boost of few of these things a bit. For example, the static +1 bonus to AC while in cloth is a little low. Your character is probably going to spend some serious time in melee, and likely won't last long with her low HP value and CON not being a good skill for her. Monks get +2 in cloth. If you are worried about abuse with armor proficiencies you could knock it down to +1 for light armor other than cloth.

Starfox

Hero
I love the premise of what you've done here. As you can see from the half-finished class in my sig, building a class is a lot of work; you need LOADS of powers and an outside eye to help balance it all and make the text readable. Seems like you're getting a lot of power balancing advice already. I'll try to focus on the language and concept parts.

I made a dancer build for the bard; the Graceful bard. This is a leader leaning towards defender, and thus is in many ways different, but might still give you some ideas.

[Rythmn of the Dance]
While in this state, you dance about gracefully, turning, whirling and shifting to the melody in your mind and the passion in your soul. As you do so, you move at -2 your normal rate of speed but gain a +1 power bonus to both AC and Reflex defenses while wearing no or light armor. If you enter this state in a social setting as part of a performance,you gain a +2 power bonus to any Bluff and Diplomacy checks you make during or immediately after the performance.
Any Dancer power you possess may be used while in the Rythmn of the Dance state (unless otherwise noted).

The bolded explanation only muddles things IMO; since this would be the case if you didn't say anything about it, mentioning it just creates confusion.

Pyrotechnics
As an entertainer, you have mastered the ability to enhance your shows with magical prestidigations that can also harm those who would threaten you and your allies. A dancer can use both Pyrotechnic powers once per encounter.

Same thing again; the bolded text should go, and the "two pyrotechnics powers" should just become two different class abilities, each usable 1/encounter. Less confusing that way.

[Starduster]
Pausing in your dance, you strike a graceful but stern pose and unleash a spiraling display of shimmering stars at your foe.

Encounter- Arcane, Implement, Psychic
Standard Ranged 10
Hit: 1d6 + Charisma modifier damage
This damage increases to 2d6 + Charisma modifier at level 21.
Special: Counts as a basic ranged attack and can be used outside of the Rythmn of the Dance state.

Again, this is so much information/specification as to be confusing. You are merely saying that default rules apply, possibly confusing the reader.

[Showstopper]
Spinning about like a top, bursts of shining stars are flung about you striking down all who mean you harm.

Encounter- Arcane, Implement, Psychic
Standard Close burst 2
Target: All enemies in burst
Hit: 1d4 + Charisma modifier damage
This damage increases to 2d4 + Cha mod at level 21.
Special: Can only be used while in the Rythmn of the Dance state.

Here you are actually introducing a limitation that is not a part of the default rules. The bolded section here should stay, and does not need to be changed even if you do change all the other instances I mention above.

Implements:
Dancers wield daggers to channel their arcane power. When you wield a magic dagger you can add it's enhancement bonus to the attack rolls and the damage rolls of dancer powers and dancer paragon path powers that have the implement keyword. Without an implement, you can still use these powers.
Some magical instruments, particularly hand percussion (tamborine, maraccas, triangle) may also be used as implements by the dancer.

I'd allow more implements; wands come to mind, but staves, rods or even weapons could work, making the class and style more versatile. Since you'd not use the weapon statistics anyway, letting the class use any weapon as an implement has no real balance issues. (Or maybe it does - did traits like high crit and versatile work when using a weapon as an implement again?)

Creating a Dancer
--------------------
Charisma and Dexterity are the most important ability scores for a dancer. Intelligence or Wisdom is a good third choice.

The class screams Dexterity to me, at least as a secondary attribute. Still, I'd open up the attribute options a bit more - Cha + Dex or Wis makes sense. Or you could even (shudder) make it a V class - Dexterity or Charisma + Wisdom.

Level 1 At-Will Steps
---------------------------

Not that it matters, but arcane powers are spells; the name of powers is origin specific. I'd conform to the standard here, but mainly because I'm pretty Lawful in this way; I don't really think I'll convince you. Then again, I could see this being a psychic or even primal class, perhaps even leaving the origin open and having different builds use different origins - whereupon having a separate term for the powers makes sense. [Now I'm rambling]

On Powers

The powers seem to be lacking in control for a controller class.

I'd give the dancer powers that allow positioning (long shifts, perhaps teleports), then make positioning matter to their powers (close bursts, close blasts). Of course, they need some ability to survive such close contact with the enemy, which is a tricky proposition.

Power like the rogue's Bloody Path, where you make a move and affect everyone adjacent to the path you moved, seem very appropriate too.

Powers that control positioning of both allies and enemies also make sense.

Again, you might want to check out my Graceful bard for inspiration.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I have a character concept... she is the Aurelian Councilor of Dance... draconically empowered but rather a-typical. . I had been thinking of her as non-combatant but since most Dragon touched are at least trained.... you have me second guessing that thought.

A reference to this character from another more typical of the sensitives.

"Battle is raw and sweaty and bleading messy like sex and most things worth doing. Its relationship to dance is superficial, with everyone trying to break the tempo rather than keep it.... If she danced she is certain she would use the dragon like that councilor Perinaliahn. Nakradan really isn't afraid of the rage. It is this which set's her a part from most who bear the Dragon's Mark."

Meatboy

First Post
Cool concept. I'll restate what has been said before and suggest that the pyrotechnic powers are definitely on the weak side and maybe up the power of Rhythm of the Dance or cut out the -2 to movement. on a side note with the Dance of Serpent's Pleasure why does the power decrease to 2d6 at 21st level? I am guessing that is probably a typo. Thanks for sharing your class!

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The "Perinaliahn" character is definitely about pyrotechics and extreme unexpected and humanly impossible moves.

Impliments : staves and ribbons... these are used to entangle and strangle enemies.. weighty baubles are attached ...staves are used to do long jumps or to stand on or spin around after jabbing them in the ground.

Perinalian might use a dagger to eat with ;-)

Rachel

First Post
I generally approve of what Amaroq is saying. His stance idea is usable, making 'rhythm' a stance, then the dancer could 'change rhythm' during a dance and use stance powers.

On the other hand there is no particular benefit to wording any of the powers as stances. I would say its more of an artistic choice than anything. Do as you will with that one.

I also agree that the class is a little weak, so don't be afraid to boost of few of these things a bit. For example, the static +1 bonus to AC while in cloth is a little low. Your character is probably going to spend some serious time in melee, and likely won't last long with her low HP value and CON not being a good skill for her. Monks get +2 in cloth. If you are worried about abuse with armor proficiencies you could knock it down to +1 for light armor other than cloth.

Great comments everybody!

1) I will have to look at stance vs. state a little more closely. Thnx. I am
aware that there might not be any reason to ever not be in Rythmn of the Dance and Im looking into it. The move penalty is intended to signify focus, and the fact that while your dancing it's difficult to move your full speed.
2) Yah, I agree it's a bit weak but I would rather err on that side than the other. The class feature encounter powers were initially at-wills so returning them to that might help. Also I could improve their damage a bit.
3) I did actually want to go with a higher +AC bonus while in no or light armor from Rythmn of the Dance, esp. because this class *is* expected to be in melee here and there. Wanted to go +2, but again got scared it might be OP. But now, based on feedback, I think +2 AC would be fine.

Rachel

First Post
Cool concept. I'll restate what has been said before and suggest that the pyrotechnic powers are definitely on the weak side and maybe up the power of Rhythm of the Dance or cut out the -2 to movement. on a side note with the Dance of Serpent's Pleasure why does the power decrease to 2d6 at 21st level? I am guessing that is probably a typo. Thanks for sharing your class!

Nice catch on the damage typo. :)

Okay, I made changes based on everyone's feedback. I increased starting hp from 10 to 12, upped the AC bonus to +2, returned the class feature powers to At-Wills, fixed Dance of Serpent's Pleasure scaling damage, and cut out a few extraneous sentences. :)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads