• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

memory of a thousand lifetimes

ryryguy

First Post
The deva power says you can choose to add the +1d6 when after you make a roll and "dislike the result".

Does that mean you get to hear whether the check succeeded or failed, or just that you don't like the number showing on the die, before the DM tells you the outcome?

It seems ambiguous, unless there's some general rule I've forgotten about.

Flipguarder

First Post
I think its fairly clear that its meant to be when you dislike the number on the d20. I guess you could try to interpret it as you get to see the result, but that seems much too powerful for a racial power.

Bumbles

First Post
Well, it says the result, and then says add 1d6 to the roll, so I'm inclined to say they used different words, you get to respond to the result, not to the roll.

But I can see it going the other way. It does seem powerful.

It really depends on how you handle the skill check. If you let the difficulty be known in advance, then it makes no difference. If you don't, then it might matter. Anybody know of how any similar powers are worded?

Last edited:

Nail

First Post
Also consider that this is an encounter power, useful outside of combat. IOW, you might use it on many, many, many skill checks outside of combat.

fba827

Adventurer
I personally read it as: roll d20, add up your mods, see that total result and decide whether or not you want to add your +1d6 bonus. then the dm tells you the outcome. I prefer it that way because I see this as, frankly, being a very powerful effect otherwise.

From a flavor standpoint, I see it as trying to climb/recall lore/attack/etc and you're remembering some old memory on how to do it better (while you're trying to do it). In contrast, you wouldn't be doing something, see it's not working, and then suddenly have some insight from a past life that lets you retroactively make it better.

Having said that, I can see how the word "result" is not specific enough to be read the other way. So, frankly, I see it as DM call until other ruling is made.

ryryguy

First Post
I tend to agree, treating "result" to mean "roll" is probably wiser from a balance point of view.

But it is a bit ambiguous. Has this never come up before? I'd be a bit surprised. Maybe everyone (except my player ;)) has just assumed it means "roll" without really thinking about it?

Kordeth

First Post
Personally, I've never been fond of making players guess whether using their limited-use ability is going to be a complete waste of time; whenever I've had characters with some sort of "after you make Y check, add +X bonus" ability, in any system, I tell the player whether they failed by a small enough margin that the power could help. Never had a balance problem with it.

LuckyAdrastus

First Post
Personally, I've never been fond of making players guess whether using their limited-use ability is going to be a complete waste of time; whenever I've had characters with some sort of "after you make Y check, add +X bonus" ability, in any system, I tell the player whether they failed by a small enough margin that the power could help. Never had a balance problem with it.

Ditto.

Thundershield

First Post
This "timing" is often debated, and in both directions. Both for attacks and for defenses.

Say a monster attacks one of the PCs. When you, as a DM, have rolled the attack roll, do you tell them what defense you attacked and how high you rolled and let them confirm if you hit or not, or do you have their defenses jutted down and then simply tell them if you hit or missed? Both are popular ways of handling it.

However, this slight deviation makes for a world of difference when it comes to powers like Shield, Dragonflame Mantle, No Opening, Ward of Brilliance, etc.

Will the player know if using a given power will prevent a hit? Should the player know that? It could make powers such as Dragonflame Mantle, which provide a minimal bonus, nigh-useless in that regard if the player doesn't know (but then again, maybe the damage is the main deal of that power), but on the other hand, a power like Ward of Brilliance, which has an effect in case the attack hits despite the bonus to defenses, seem silly as the bonus will likely be used to ward off the attack entirely.

Lately, I've started simply informing a player if they're hit or missed, but let's get a little feedback now that the discussion's on anyway.

WalterKovacs

First Post
I've seen it played a few ways. Since the power does work for attack rolls, it is somewhat like elven accuracy (except you can push a 'barely missed' over the top, as opposed to getting a second try on a failed roll). I'm still waiting for the opportunity to use memory on a death save to push it up to/over 20 and "remember" to not die again (since that is one thing the Devas apparently keep on doing) ;)

Remove ads