Mercedes Lackey Ejected From Nebula Conference For Using Racial Slur

MGibster

Legend
Also, this was a public forum so its not up to one person to say if this is offensive or not. Nebula Conference has every right to say this isn't allowed at their functions.
As is often pointed out in these kinds of discussions, of course the Nebula Conference has every right to say what is and isn't allowed at their functions. That doesn't mean they're free from criticism of course. And the same applies to Lacky of course.

In my opinion, this was not handled appropriately. Mercedes Lackey used a poor choice of words- something I am sure she would have explained (and, most likely, apologized for). But the action of the organizers of the Nebular Conference was over-the-top and uncalled for. Both because they publicized her removal and tarred her with using a "racial slur" (thus leaving it to many people to assume the worst) and also because they tarnished what should have been the culmination of a lifetime of experience.
Based on the Nebula Conferenes statement, I had assumed Lacky must have either dropped the nuclear bomb of words in her speech or used a fairly seriously derogatory word. Like I said earlier, I'm never going to refer to someone using the word Lackey chose, but my first reaction to it isn't to take offense but to think, "Man, that's really archaic!" Though I suppose that could change based on the context.

We see this regularly as usages change and get misunderstood or discarded. For example, whether it is more proper to refer to someone as a Native American or Indian (which is a divisive issue for some within the community). Or in the instant case, the evolution of the term from one word (as in the College Fund) to colored (NAACP) to black to African-American to black to the broader "POC" (which is both overly broad and unwieldy at times).
Part of diversity is recognizing that we all have different experiences and that includes language used and even exposure to ideas. And I want to nip this in the bud: No, I'm not arguing that we should tolerate deliberate use of language that's designed to denigrate other people out of some misguided attempt at respecting diversity. But maybe, just maybe, when someone isn't using the currently preferred words or expressions, and doesn't appear to mean any harm, we can cut them a little slack. Correcting them is fine, but maybe we don't have to go nuclear and punish them. (I felt the same way about Whoopie Goldberg's recent gaff on The View. I didn't agree with Goldberg, but maybe an African American woman has a different perspective on race than I do.)

I’m not an expert on incusionary language but should we be repeating the offending word every other response like it’s going out of style?
There are plenty of contexts were the word is perfectly acceptable to use. In front of children even.

IFor example, whether it is more proper to refer to someone as a Native American or Indian (which is a divisive issue for some within the community).

Just to add a little firsthand commentary on this: My father and I both go by Indian (Ojibwe if you want to be specific, but most Americans have no idea what that means, and yeah I know my handle is not an Ojibwe name, but he was a hero of mine). My grandfather was illegitimate and grew up in a German town in Iowas. He was called “that Indian bastard” until he was 40. We go by Indian in honor of what he experienced.

Retreater

Legend
To often folks are allowed to use outdated language under the guise of "they are old" and I don't find it to be an acceptable excuse.
I'm 43, and I am not consistently perfect in my speech - though I'm continuing to try to do better. When it's terminology you're not used to using, when you haven't practiced the correct contemporary use of language (probably because you don't often engage in political discourse), I can see it being an easy mistake to make. On top of it, it seems the context was one of admiration and respect for the writer of color being referenced.
When we're 80, we'll see how well we do on that. I have a feeling that we'll be embarrassed of the harsh judgment we're putting on our elders - people who are essentially the age of many of our grandparents.

Sorry, I can't find a definition for that even on urban dictionary. Can you help me understand?
As everyone seems to just make words up left right and centre I did the same:

Befended is to be offended on another's behalf ( even if they are clearly not offended).

&

Fentitled is to be offended by, and entitled to, everything!

There are plenty of contexts were the word is perfectly acceptable to use. In front of children even.
That sounds like opinion not fact but I’m not going to debate that with you.

The context here though is “this word is considered a racial slur” and a fair amount of the responses are “______ is a racial slur but I use it all the time it can’t be.” “Yeah the word _____ is fine.” I’m not saying that’s every response but I am asking: is this the wisest move on our part?

I mean I feel like if this was an acceptable context, you would have said it, not “the word”, is perfectly acceptable to use.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

"I colored in the book."

"Great! Did you use the purple crayon?"

The context here though is “this word is considered a racial slur” and a fair amount of the responses are “______ is a racial slur but I use it all the time it can’t be.” “Yeah the word _____ is fine.” I’m not saying that’s every response but I am asking: is this the wisest move on our part?

I think most people are trying to differentiate between words that are slurs (as in words that meant to be offensive and demeaning) as opposed to terms that are outdated and/or archaic.*

I mean I feel like if this was an acceptable context, you would have said it, not “the word”, is perfectly acceptable to use.

Well, take it up with Samuel Delaney. Words and context are tricky, and there isn't universal agreement on some of them.

Again, I would be sad if we lost the amazing legacy of the NAACP and luminaries like Thurgood Marshall because someone took offense at their acronym.

*ETA- and even that can be tricky, because the same word that is a slur when used by one group to demean another can be empowering when used by the group that slur originally targeted.

Mallus

Legend
For god's sake that word's part of the NAACP's name. It's in the title of Ntozake Shange's most famous play.

It's anachronistic and no longer a preferred term, but unless it was used in the context of more racist speech, this seems like the kind of mishandled overreaction that can do real harm to the cause of social justice (the rightwing media loves stuff like this),

"I colored in the book."

"Great! Did you use the purple crayon?"

I think most people are trying to differentiate between words that are slurs (as in words that meant to be offensive and demeaning) as opposed to terms that are outdated and/or archaic.

Well, take it up with Samuel Delaney. Words and context are tricky, and there isn't universal agreement on some of them.

Again, I would be sad if we lost the amazing legacy of the NAACP and luminaries like Thurgood Marshall because someone took offense at their acronym.
Different word. Homonyms may be spelled the same but are different words. Whatever. I voiced my concern.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)

I get where you're coming from but in this case, POC vs CP, isn't like dropping the N bomb. I've seen people slip up and use some variation of CP instead of POC when they've intended but bobbled the latter. And I think if people hadn't been explicit with the issue, given the severity of the response, we'd have been tempted to expect a more severe infraction.
That said, now that someone has been explicit with the infraction, I think it's easy enough to step back from constantly using it...

Remove ads