D&D 5E [Merged] D&D Next/5E Release Schedule Threads

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Great news. Now, when will wotc actually tell us about it?
It's right there, on the bottom of fjw's list:

Starter Set 7/15
Players Handbook 8/19
Hoard of the Dragon Queen Adventure 8/19
Monster Manual 9/30
The Rise of Tiamat Adventure 10/21
Dungeon Master's Guide 11/19
Deluxe DM Screen 1/20/15
WotC Announces 5E 2/14/15

--Just in time for Valentine's Day! :p

delericho

Legend
Well, if you order through Amazon it's actually 40$ per book or 120$ for the bunch.

True. But:

1) It's not as if Amazon's discounts are a new thing. In fact, IIRC they were running at closer to 30% for most of 3e and 4e, so they're actually not as good this time out. Perhaps more importantly though...

2) This is going to really suck for the FLGS. They can't match Amazon's discounts. Now, some number of their customers might have accepted the hit, but loyalty to the store only goes so far, and if this price increase drives lots of them online, then the FLGS is going to hurt. Which is a real shame, because a new set of core rulebooks should be a real boon to FLGS owners.

The truth is, I'm not too bothered about the price - I can afford to buy those books, even at full price, if I really want them. And as I said, if I use them as much as the 3.5e core rulebooks then they're a steal. But it is quite a jump, and I'd therefore expected something to sweeten the deal, so I am a bit surprised.

coz

Explorer
Only 6 dice in the box set is an interesting choice, they're leaving out the tens d10, does 5e make even less use of d% than previous editions? Sure, d% is mostly a roll that DMs make and you can do it with just a single d10, just seems odd to exclude it. I hope Kobold Press isn't done making Pathfinder stuff now that they're doing 5e adventures.

herrozerro

First Post
I don't fully understand the rational behind spreading out the three core books across 3 months. Why? I mean 4e was core three on the same day! we were able to jump fully into the game without having to wait a quarter.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Well, this confirms a lot, including the Gen Con release date for the PHB, and the $50 price tag for each of the Core Rulebooks.

delericho

Legend
I don't fully understand the rational behind spreading out the three core books across 3 months. Why? I mean 4e was core three on the same day! we were able to jump fully into the game without having to wait a quarter.

It's easier to produce one book to hit a specific date than to produce three.

Hopefully, WotC will provide us with some sort of survival kit so we have some monsters & magic items to use until the MM and DMG are available.

Probably hoping more people will break and buy the Starter Set (and/or adventures) because they don't have the tools to make their own stuff (previously I had thought "The PHB will have everything you need to play", but at 320 pages, no way).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads