• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [Merged] D&D Next/5E Release Schedule Threads

Lhorgrim

Explorer
The pics are too small for me to see. Can anybody tell if there is any "Forgotten Realms" trade dress on the adventures? They look like generic D&D adventures, but obviously they are specific to the Forgotten Realms setting.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
WotC Catalog said:
Ideal for a group of 4 – 6, the Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set includes a 64-page adventure book with everything the Dungeon Master needs to get started, a 32-page rulebook for playing characters level 1 – 5, 5 pre-generated characters, each with a character sheet and supporting reference material, and 6 dice.

"Rulebook for playing ..." and "5 pre-generated characters..." doesn't sound like character creation rules are included. No minis, poster maps, tiles or anything notable? Sounds like I'll pass.

thundershot

Adventurer
3E was all on the same day at $20 a pop. I remember leaving work at lunch and running to the book store in the mall and going nuts because I wanted to go home and immerse myself in them.

Plageman

Explorer
I find it interesting is that they will release the MM before the DMG. Does this mean that they feel that you won't need it to start playing ?... unless they expect early buyers to play only the two Tiamat adventures.

Mercurius

Legend
I find it interesting is that they will release the MM before the DMG. Does this mean that they feel that you won't need it to start playing ?... unless they expect early buyers to play only the two Tiamat adventures.

What I'm hoping it means is that the Player's Handbook is the rule book, the Monster Manual the bestiary, and the DMG a toolbox for DMs to create things. Thus the DMG isn't really necessary to start playing, especially for experienced DMs. For inexperienced DMs, evidently the starter set will be enough to get going and the DMG would just be overwhelming.

Blackbrrd

First Post
For the 5e PHB/DMG/MM from amazon you will now have to pay 3x40$ = 120$, while the 4e Core rulebook set for 4e PHB/DMG/MM cost 67$. That's quite a jump in price if you ask me. Earlier I haven't really been too worried about the 5e pricing, because it's the discounted price I will end up paying, but a 80% price hike between editions is a lot. It might be worth it if the quality is good.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
3E was all on the same day at $20 a pop. I remember leaving work at lunch and running to the book store in the mall and going nuts because I wanted to go home and immerse myself in them.

I'm afraid you're misremembering. 3e was definitely staggered - in fact, the third-party "Creature Collection" came out before the "Monster Manual" for that edition.

You might be thinking of 3.5e? Those three were released all at once, though they were priced at $30 each.

Iosue

Legend
Woohoo! nailed it!

Warder
Yup, nicely played! It does surprise me, though. It would seem their plan is provide a cheap starter set, and then you get the big hardcovers to expand the game to what you want. I do hope the starter set has chargen, though. I suspect it does, since levels go up 1-5; if you're putting in that much character advancement, it's nothing to include how to roll/assign ability scores, choose race, choose class, and buy equipment. No doubt each class will come with a pre-set background. Here's hoping it's more Mentzer Red Box than 4e Red Box.

I do like the art, as well. Is it me, or is that the classic dragonpersand?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Can anyone artistically inclined enlarge that new D&D logo and sharpen it up?

Last edited:

Remove ads