[meta] fishing

Vanor

First Post
it's not a matter of trusting you or not. There's other ways of messing with a IRC log, then editing the text file on your PC.

reiella

Explorer
Would be curious as to how then.

The current logfile is not a straight irc log (would be a bit much anyway).

The current format just dumps the timestamp, hostmask of person who triggered the ybmove or ybhand command, and the move itself, currently somewhat deliminated by #s. No logs of the actual trigger message (so no imbedded control characters to give an illusion of a generated move), just the hostmask, and movetype (and number if it is a hand-gen).

27/02/2002 11:10:44 GMT # Private-Hand 5: # LordSoth!cnondorf@=PN56-934-396-810.fdl.wi.charter.com -> # The sword devours the canyon; shields against the beauty of the cat!

Currently, it's called on the privmsg and public message hooks that trigger the generator at all. Currently migrating it over to the generator function itself so I can split out the portions for the excel worksheet as I said.

If you can point out means that it can be falsified, please do, I do want to keep the logging as trustworthy as possible :).

[ Also ]
The different generators is a slight problem yes, but hopefully not too much greater than the past of having two generators split between seven heavens/paradise, nine hells/steppes that we used to have. I did send an updated x-move.js to Lady Diamond however. Easy enough to just suggest people use the same generator (if necessary, my test-gen is still up with the changes).

Last edited:

KDLadage

Explorer
I just read up on what the meowthbot is -- any way that can be used by those of us while we are behind firewalls that will not allow us into the chat area?

reiella

Explorer
Possibly, would have to majorly change out the generator works though.

And I'd have to remember my cgi-bin programming or learn perl to move the generation of moves server side (which is why meowthbot is able to log them).

In the mean trying to find a way to get past the firewalls for the chat server (mostly as it's been a few too many years since I've done cgi-bin heh).

It is something I want to migrate over, but it is troublesome, that and for me to do it at least, I'd probably need shell access... Which may or may not be a problem (the current webserv for the cd generator is unix so I should be able to adapt my stuff from web tech, but would still need to be able to interact with the source and gdb).

Vanor

First Post
reiella said:
Would be curious as to how then.

The current logfile is not a straight irc log (would be a bit much anyway).

The current format just dumps the timestamp, hostmask of person who triggered the ybmove or ybhand command, and the move itself, currently somewhat deliminated by #s.

Simple, spoof the hostmask/ip addy and sign on as someone else.

IRC is rather easy to fool, so anything taken from IRC is not going to be much use as evidance. This doesn't mean the log can't be usefull, but I personaly wouldn't count it as trustworthy in any way shape or form.

Lady Diamond

First Post
Reiella, would you mind filling me in on why we're attempting to schedule a meeting about the generator updates when you're just going on making changes any way you see fit?

reiella

Explorer
Two words

NickServ
Timestamping

This also assumes that they get past reverse dns lookups. If the other person's isp doesn't request that their dns server be the only one authenicated for their hostmask, that isp needs to get shot :). Broader problem with people who use the same isp, but again, mostly can tell by nick, long as people use nickserv.

For people to use it invalidate other people's moves in terms of the log, they'd have to be on the server at the same general time, and also not be noticed as having the same hostmask. If it's a slow night and no one else on, I can see there being a problem, especially if the behavior has shifted off my logfiles with someone outside the channel intentionally sending ybhand or ybmove requests to meowthbot in the same timeframe as the board posts of the moves.

As a sidenote, you do realize that the same 'risk' of spoofed hostmasks would exist for the logging done on a web-gen, and quite possibly be more vulnerable to such spoofing, same as the webboard's IP tracking feature.

[ Also of note... ]
If it is discovered that people are impersonating other fighters... That is a banable offense...

Last edited:

Vanor

First Post
reiella said:
Two words

NickServ
Timestamping

As a sidenote, you do realize that the same 'risk' of spoofed hostmasks would exist for the logging done on a web-gen, and quite possibly be more vulnerable to such spoofing, same as the webboard's IP tracking feature.

I agree with that, which is too bad, it would be nice to come up with a way to stop fishing for sure. But that's not going to happen.

And NickServ is easy to crack if you know what your doing. That only leaves timestamping. But timestamps don't mean much really.

As I said... Nothing done on IRC or most of the web is fool proof, and as such there is no way I'd accept anything as proof of anything.

I'd much rather look over someone's last 5 to 8 fights and see if anything is fishy, that is better proof IMO.

reiella

Explorer
Bleh lost my reply oh well.

Board lag bad :p.

Anyway, yes. In order to hack in you would have to hack thorugh the irc server to bypass nickserv, bypass reverse dns lookup, as well as do it at the same general time (while no one is about to notice).

Just as easy for some person to hack into the webboard and post a fake post with an obviously constructed move under their username... All for someone to ruin someone's day (it would also result in being a different nick which is also tracked).

That said though, I did not mean to mention using meowthbot's logging proactively to determine fishers. If someone suspects, they can ask me, and give the timeframe, and I can say if the move was actually generated by meowthbot.

Anyway, if you want to continue it, irc or email please, the board lag getting to me :).

Remove ads