[meta] fishing

graydoom

First Post
Lady Diamond said:
Reiella, would you mind filling me in on why we're attempting to schedule a meeting about the generator updates when you're just going on making changes any way you see fit?
All Rei has done so far is fix problems in the generator to bring the reality of it in line with the current concepts behind it. Stuff like fixing duplicated entries. The purpose of the generator chat, if it ever gets done, would be to determine if we want to make substantial changes to the generator (more than just fixes) or change the concepts behind what the generator should be.

As far as I know, Rei has gotten approval for all the fixes that have been made so far, and even held a poll for the biggest fix made (which was eliminating the possibility of there being two locations in a move).

reiella

Explorer
Lady Diamond, you mean the spelling fixes and other changes that Wicht ok'd in another thread? And that was polled on?

Well, mostly as there were a few other things that may be problems conceptually as opposed to confusing in rules terms.

Last edited:

Jin Chi

First Post
M-Bot is not fool-proof. Neither is Judge Gen if you want to get right down to it. The judge could just as easily fish as anyone else if they want to bias a fight.

This isn't just about finding a fool-proof method of preventing fishing -- although it would keep things more balanced. If you really wanted to get technical, you could try something similar to the Irony Games Secure Dice Server (if that still exists....) which will e-mail the moves to the judge....

YB is a game of trust. And blatant fishing is a violation of that trust. So is less than blatant fishing, but that's harder to catch.

I guess there is no point in naming names....we've all obviously recognized the same pattern of cheating going on.

When in doubt, review past fights. And don't accept every challenge that comes your way.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
What's a "good" or a "bad" move, anyway? Judges' interpretations are highly subjective and you can't always tell which move will win a given round.
So the only moves "worth" fishing for are those that include some element that favors you - or else to negate a move that your opponent is immune to. The former is pretty easy to spot after 5-10 matches, methinks.

And yen moves might be "worth" it, too, but since your opponent might gain the yen, this is not very useful for a cheater.

In summary, there's little to be gained from fishing unless you don't mind being blatant about it. So I believe that few people do it. But I'm an optimist, of course. :)

reiella

Explorer
Well to some extent, it's a matter of reading the judge too.
Or number of specials.

And ya you hit a very good point, it still comes down to judge interpretation (which is why when I judge occasionally I try to shift my style around a little bit :).

[ Unrelated Sidenote ]
Also, can you make the dojo/gang registration sticky too? It fell down to page 5 :).

Berandor

lunatic
Jin Chi said:
I guess there is no point in naming names....we've all obviously recognized the same pattern of cheating going on.

Hm... I don't.

Well, perhaps because I don't read every fight... so might I suggest a course of action?

1. Be sure of your suspicion.
2. Write an e-mail to the suspect.
3. If that doesn't help, call him out.

Otherwise, people that DON'T follow all fights will end up fighting the "fisher", if there is one, because nobody else would fight them.

Thank you,
Berandor

Wicht

Hero
And if I may add, though it has been said, be sure of your suspicions before you make an accusation. I myself have seen moves generated (that I generated myself) with similar styles and locations one after another. The random elements of the game do sometimes throw out a few weird coincidences. A single bizarre match does not mean someone is cheating. A person who, however, gets a signature move every other round and always gets 'hard' moves is probably suspicious. If you are really suspicious of someone, log their moves. While coincidences happen, what you really want to look for is a pattern that develops over the course of many games. When this happens do as Berandor suggested and e-mail the person privately. If nothing changes then make the log public and let people see for themselves.

Lady Diamond

First Post
No, Actually I meant this (received in email):

This was voted on: Changes are the spelling and grammar fixes, Named Locations,

This was not: and primitive anticluster (not
style/location/etc based yet sadly).

What is this? No explanation was given in the email about what this is for?

Remove ads