[meta] fishing

reiella

Explorer
Doh, that's not good :x turtle.

It blocks even the java client?

hmm... Do you happen to know what ports your firewall is blocking? I know psi.net has a wide port range.

reiella

Explorer
In any event, going to try to get some info on how to connect to the server through a firewall, hopefully can come up with something that accomadates you :).

I want all the people can get in the chat room quite honestly :).

Lady Diamond

First Post
The best thing to do about suspected "fisherfolk" is to watch the matches and draw your own conclusions, it's always been a "play at your own risk" environment here with no guarantees.

I'd consider Meowthbot a good solution except there is no accountability involved whatsoever and unfortunately log files aren't always accurate.

So, keep eyes and ears open. That's your best defense.

Last edited:

hmmm... perhaps you are right.

Personally, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. Even so I play with judge-generated moves if I am able to. That way I don't even have to consider the risk that my opponent may be fishing.

And that said, it IS allowed to be lucky in this game. Sometimes you do draw moves like turtle's (well, not exactly but still good moves).

Vanor

First Post
About fishing...

Don't take one match or even a couple matches as 'proof' It's very possable to develop a streak of good moves, with out fishing.

It would take IMO something like 5 to 8 games in a row with a common element before I'd really consider someone fishing. Like say someone who wins 6 games in a row with the same sig style...

I've seen some really weird things happen in YB, so to call someone a cheater without at least 5 games of constant good moves, is too soon.

If you see someone who pulls a really good move like this...

"The panther angrily shatters the hells where it destructively rains upon the eyes; silences the terror of the lightbeam and skillfully reduces the chi of the fell dagger!"

3 or 4 times a match, and always seems to get a move like that when they need it. Then I'd say you have a reason to wonder. But just getting a few good moves, or having a good record is not any reason to assume someone is cheating.

I've seen people pull 3 or 4 sig styles in one match, and this was someone I knew didn't cheat... It's always possable. And the other day I saw Phoenix do a Fists of Fury attack, that for me would of been like a 5 point round. For him however it wasn't... So anything is possable.

As far as Meowthbot, and IRC... I'm quite against the idea of expecting people to pop on IRC to play this game. It's not needed, and just adds a extra bit of work for what is ment to be a simple game to play in our spare time. Also IRC logs are far from secure proof of anything... I've been a IRC Admin for like 4 years now, I know how easy they are to spoof or edit. The same goes for IRC Bots...

And speaking of which, if the Meowthbot doesn't have the same exact tables and such as the java one... It shouldn't be used in any match.

reiella

Explorer
Logs are client side mind you.

They are easy for me to edit.

Or I suppose anyone who can hack into my computer and decide to look for it.

Vanor

First Post
There's tons of ways to spoof a log. In short, I'll never trust a IRC log as proof of anything, they're just to easy to fake/edit/alter/whatever.

reiella

Explorer
As I said though, I'm the only one who has access to the logs in the first place :).

Fair enough if you don't trust me though.

The coming change to the logging will also be converted to an excel worksheet form, so easier to just look at each portion.

Remove ads