Metamagic rods and item creation

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Re: Re: Metamagic rods and item creation

But magic item X is still based on a level 5 spell. If you look at the guideline given in the DMG, they all refer to the spell level, not to the level of the spell slot it took to create the object.

Freaky. That's exactly the same argument Sir Hawkeye's making in the Sultans of Smack thread, leading to exactly the opposite conclusion :)

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
What do you mean?

Okay.

CSW is a 3rd level spell. A Maximized, Empowered CSW takes up an 8th level slot... but for purposes of Save DCs, penetrating Globes, etc, it's still a 3rd level spell. Hawkeye's argument is that it can therefore be placed into a Spell Storing weapon, which can take any spell of 3rd level or lower - it's still a 3rd level spell, in an 8th level slot.

You're saying that the Rodded CSW can't be placed into a potion, because it's an 8th level spell, in a 3rd level slot.

It specifically says for Metamagic in potions that the level limit applies to the metamagicked level - in the case of a Max Emp CSW, 8th, and therefore ineligible for being a potion.

But with the Rods, it becomes a 3rd level spell, metamagicked to an 8th level slot, cast from a 3rd level slot.

What level is it for purposes of item creation?

I don't know. I'm lost :)

-Hyp.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
What level is it for purposes of item creation?

I don't know. I'm lost :)

Well...

I'm a little confused too. So I'll just stick to my guns. That way nobody can steal them from me... huh I mean I'll always assume that metamagic raises the level of the spell for purpose of magic items creation until I'm proven wrong.

And when I'll be proven wrong I'll become obstinate.

Last edited:

Remove ads