• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Midnight Second Edition

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Whoa! I didn't realize the SRP was $50!

Other than the WLD, is this the first d20 book published to be priced over $45?

(I believe that Paizo's Shackled City will be $60, but that's not out yet.)

Crothian

First Post
HellHound said:
I'm looking forward to reading this one, and unlike most people in this thread, I've never read the original. And I'm impressed to hear that FFG isn't dropping their d20 lines completely.

You'll get a copy at Origins. Well, Denise will but I'm sure if you are really nice she'll let you read hers. :cool:

Crothian

First Post
DaveMage said:
Whoa! I didn't realize the SRP was $50!

Other than the WLD, is this the first d20 book published to be priced over $45?

(I believe that Paizo's Shackled City will be $60, but that's not out yet.)

Stargate main book was up there and Arcana Evolved was up there; I don't recall their exact prices.

Crimson_Manticore

First Post
Yair said:
The thing is, there would be a large discontinuity gap unless you use Midnight rules anyways. Magic works differently, that is the major change.
Since I don't think the Midnight rules are that great anyways, and they definitely don't represent a D&D world that has fallen, I'm thinking of using another system altogether.

I ran a brief (6-7 session) Midnight campaign a few months ago, but I simply used the standard D&D rules for the most part. It’s not that I dislike the Midnight classes & spellcasting rules, but I didn’t find them interesting or different enough to go through the trouble of converting all my players over. I did make use of the modified Midnight races, because of the setting specific flavor they provided, but I stuck with the standard D&D classes and magic system. I simply disallowed Clerics, Paladins, and any other deity dependant classes. At first, I restricted other full-fledged spell casters (druids and wizards) to no more than half your total character level, so you could be a druid 3/ fighter 3, but not a druid 6. After the first couple of sessions, however, I decided to lift that restriction and simply use the threat of overwhelming, unavoidable hunting forces to limit the amount of flashy magic that was used.

For a dash of extra flavor, I also allowed psionics at the request of a couple of my players. I treated it as a new discipline only discovered and developed in secret within the last generation. It was a power that the Dark Lord was not yet aware of, and could not detect or track. The plan was to have him eventually discover the existence of psionics, probably through the actions of the PCs, and to quickly mount a concentrated effort to root out and destroy all psychics, using hunting squads of red crystal psion-killers.

In any case, the campaign worked really well and the players seemed to have a lot of fun. We only ended it early because of increasing time demands outside of the game due to jobs and such.

Using the standard D&D rules also makes it much easier to do the “prequel” type approach, where one generation of heroes fails to stop the rise of the shadow, and then fast forward 100 years to start a new campaign under the oppression of the Dark Lord.

Banshee16

First Post
Yair said:
Oh, I got a replacement pretty fast. It's crumbling too. :(

Myself as well...the replacement took longer to crumble, but it is crumbling. Awesome book though.

I am getting the second edition....told my FLGS owner I want it when it comes in. Guess it just depends on when we get it in Canada.

There are several content changes in there, including changes to the channeler etc. that I think it might be worth picking up. Plus, I'm finally starting a Midnight campaign..

Banshee

Banshee16

First Post
glass said:
From what I saw, to get a replacement, you had to post the damaged one back to them. It would have been cheaper to throw it away and pay for a replacement.

glass.

I'm in Canada....it cost me $6 to send my copy back to them. And I *believe* they actually sent me a freebee to make up for it. It's been a while though, so I don't quite remember.

It wasn't much to send the book.

Banshee

Nifelhein

First Post
Got it from Amazon, am in Brazil and they sent me a new one without the need to give them my old one, have two of them now, older one was bindd again for 5 bucks, have two nice books, sold the older one to a friend. ;)

Will get it, sure, how ele can I hope to live if not with lots of Midnight goodness.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads