Midway Mining Expedition (PbP)

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Taka waits for Coldtree to either release his arrow, or drop his bow, and then charges in to stab the thing with his sword!

Reaction base roll: 28. Meh.
Attack Roll (Sword) base roll: 99 + 99!!!! YESSSS!
I think we have a dead spider! :cool:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Arachnophobia?

Coldtree nocks an arrow...
Taka waits for Coldtree to... release... then charges...

Tehn moves forward of Coldtree but takes great care in not interfering with his aim and moves slightly downhill to his right. ~If the spider attacks me first, so be it. If not, maybe I can get a hold of it before it gets to Coldtree.~

Coldtree moves to within 4 paces of the spider who, though wary, seems content to sit, sunning itself. Perhaps it is momentarily sated on the flood of some recent foe. Medium bow range gives even odds of a good shot. Any closer may and the spider may attack, first.
Coldtree: 13(launch) + 14(accuracy) + 15(clarity) + 53(d100) = 95
Spider: 24(defensiveness) + 48(d100) = 72
damage: 95 - 72 = 23% * 10 = 2 - 6(deflect)
The arrow flies true but careens off the chitinous covering of the exoskeleton. The spider makes a disgusting, gurgling, clacking noise as it races toward the men, running directly at Coldtree.
Readiness + Speed + Clarity + d100
Spider: 16 + 24 + 0 + 48 = 88
Coldtree: 13 + 14 + 15 + 08 = 50
Taka: 14 + 12 + 15 + 28 = 69
Tehn: 14 + 15 + 14 + 23 = 66
Spider: 250(movement) - 88(reaction) = 162
Coldtree: 12(armor) - 12(strength) + 20(fist) - 50(reaction) = 0
Taka: 12(armor) - 14(strength) = 0 + 50(sword) - 69(reaction) = 0
Tehn: 12(armor) - 13(strength) = 0 + 100(way) - 66 = 34
Tehn: 18(bending) + 14(heat) + 13(d100) = 45
Spider: 16(conditioning) + 48(d100) = 64, resisted
Taka: 16(aggression) + 12(accuracy) + 14(fury) + 99(d100) + 99(luck) = 240
Spider: 16(readiness) + 24(defensiveness) + 48(d100) = 88
damage: 240 - 88 = 152% * 10 = 15 - 6(deflect) = 9
Body: 1 - 9 = -8, dead
Angered but unhurt by the arrow to the face, the spider charges at Coldtree. Tehn manages to rake hand across the spider as it goes by, but the creature is able to resist being unnaturally heat. Taka fares much better, bring down his short sword with a mighty powerful blow, he cracks open the chitinous covering like cracking a nut. The bisected spiders sprays vital fluid on the nearby brush as the parts fall at the feet of Coldtree, who stood with fist ready had it made it to him.
OOC: All characters receive 5 DP. Coldtree has lost 1 arrow.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Taka's brow furrows in thought for a moment, then he speaks: "The spider's shell totally deflected your arrow. I wonder if the carapace could be made into some sort of protective covering, like a shin guard or bracer?"

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Coldtree nods. "Nice strike. My bow seems pretty useless so far. Fortunately I will not need to carry it much longer." He examines the spider and claims the fangs. "These will make a nice trophy, and proof of kill. Let's examine the area to make sure there's no nest about." Coldtree will search the area for a spider nest or anything else interesting.
34, 72

MacConnell

That Was Easy

Ecology + Analysis + d100 =>20
Coldtree: 14 + 15 + 34 > 20
It is only a simple task to collect the shiny black fangs from the spider, without breaking them. Various indigenous peoples have been observed to wear the parts of animals that they have killed on a thong about their necks or hanging from a belt as a fetish.

Just inside the mouth of the mine are the remains of several small animals in various stages of decay, once having been food for the now dead spider. Fortunately, there does not seem to be any more live beasts within the shaft. Poking around in the debris, it appears that the spider was eating mostly conies and rodents, but birds, too, are among the fallen.

Tehn begins to clean the refuse from the mine entrance, knowing that the community will want to continue to draw upon its rich vein. As he does so, Taka notices a sticky pouch, about the size of a man's head attached to the floor at the crease of the rise. The three are not certain, but it appears to be an egg pouch from the spider. Without further ado, it is heated to the point of incineration. No more giant spiders from that female.
OOC: Each character receives 1 DP. Coldtree has collected 1 set of spider fangs.

Last edited:

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Coldtree will bind the spider fangs with a leather strap, and tie it tight to his wrist. If anyone wants proof of the spider's death he will show the fangs. Later, when he has time to meditate alone, he will focus his will on the fangs to see if they can grant him any insights.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Taka will examine the remains of the conies and rodents, knowing that the teeth, skulls, and feet are sometimes said to bring good luck. He also collects what feathers he can from the fowl corpses. He will concentrate upon these remains, focusing his will, attempting to ascertain any proclivities that might be present.

Base roll = 80

MacConnell

Coldtree will bind the spider fangs with a leather strap, and tie it tight to his wrist. If anyone wants proof of the spider's death he will show the fangs. Later, when he has time to meditate alone, he will focus his will on the fangs to see if they can grant him any insights.
Effectiveness: Ecology + Analysis + d100 => 80
Ecology: Mind + Collegiate + Knowledge
Analysis: Essence + Collegiate + Adhesion
Coldtree: 15(ecology) + 16(analysis) + 85(d100) > 80
Time: 10 days / 116(effectiveness) = 2 hours, 4 minutes
The time is not short, but Coldtree has the patience for it. After just over two hours of mulling over the fangs and rolling them around in his hands, he realizes that, when worn, they will enhance the relationship between the flow of blood within his body and the function of his body (Cohesion +1).

Taka will examine the remains of the conies and rodents, knowing that the teeth, skulls, and feet are sometimes said to bring good luck. He also collects what feathers he can from the fowl corpses. He will concentrate upon these remains, focusing his will, attempting to ascertain any proclivities that might be present.
Sure that he has seen various indigenous peoples with such trinkets, Taka is greatly disappointed to find that nothing of the remains triggers his curiosity. Perhaps being drained of blood and life in such the way as a spider consumes the insides of their prey, ruins any potential proclivity such remains might have had.

In the interim, Tehn occupies himself with scouting about the area, looking for potential game or potential threats. Once Coldtree is satisfied and ready, the three return to town. Tehn grabs part of the bisected spider and carries it with him. Triumphantly returning to town, Tehn jibes at a few of the Orngaddrin and throws the remains in the middle of the main path. The three are congratulated on their success. All the Orngaddrin spit at the remains and kick dirt on them.

Gebbrik gathers the attention of the three. "I know that, bolstered by this success, you will want to look into that mystery of the loss of Dreg, but I was hoping you might do something a bit more mundane first. It was a great idea shoring up the bottom of the smokehouse with rock as you did, but it looks like some foraging ants have burrowed into the building holding our grain stores. Perhaps you could follow the beaten path and find the nest?"

"A couple of the other miners thought it would be a simple matter, and one of them ended up dragging the other back. He is still in the medic hut with his leg swollen. Your choice, of course."

ALL CHARACTERS RECEIVE 2 DP.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Taka nods, "Sounds exciting, and in addition, it is necessary. Count me in, of course. I look forward to another excursion."

Taka intends to borrow an axe from one of the Orngaddrin, and cut down a small tree before heading out; knowing that sharp objects skip off of the armored carapace of giant insects, he wants to make a heavy club with which to smash them. If any of the Orngaddrin already have a suitable club, he will ask about either borrowing it, or perhaps trading for it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases