• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mike Mearls "Invented The Baked Potato" in Xanathar's Guide With The Cleric Forge Domain

Making a change from all those lovely pictures of Jeremy Crawford on EN World's front page, this time it's Mike Mearls who speaks to D&D Beyond about the Cleric Forge Domain in Xanathar's Guide, along with some interesting observations about baked potatoes.

Making a change from all those lovely pictures of Jeremy Crawford on EN World's front page, this time it's Mike Mearls who speaks to D&D Beyond about the Cleric Forge Domain in Xanathar's Guide, along with some interesting observations about baked potatoes.

[video=youtube;nZznOH4-njM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZznOH4-njM[/video]​

"... one of those ones where it's like "Why wasn't this in the Player's Handbook?", right like it's the dwarf clerics have become so iconic to the game and it's funny because they weren't technically really like 2nd Edition let you play a dwarf cleric, but I think that people just naturally always, I don't know what it is about dwarves? Dwarves and clerics just goes together and I think part of it is because you have the story of Moradin forging the dwarves, he literally makes them, right, and I think that's mythically very interesting, this idea that you have a craftsman who's a God who basically challenges himself -- "Can I make a folk, , the dwarves, my children. I'm gonna [something] amount of iron and metal and ingots whatever it is , and that to me is really interesting and I think that would have such profound implications of that society where like your God physically made you out of iron, out of metal and breathed life into you, and so then you have that association of dwarves, of crafting things. Of course creation would be hopefully sacred to dwarves because that's what their deity does, that's what their deity did to create them.

And again this is what I think is interesting in D&D when you have the divine, the divine is knowable. Like Moradin's day to day desires might be unknowable or cryptic but Morden is a person that is like what happened, like people know, there's there's not a question of faith, it's a question of which team do you pick? And so the idea of the dwarf cleric is essentially to my mind when we were working on it, what I was thinking 100% was the dwarf cleric who decides "I am going to emulate Moradin, I want to be a great Smith, that the deity who created me was a great smith and I will follow those footsteps because creation is sacred to our folk".

And then since it's a cleric you have to ask yourself how do you use creation to beat down orcs and goblins? And then it's just like - make magic weapons. That's it, you get to imbue a weapon and make it magical and that just felt very sensible, very obvious; and the great thing is in there our system it's not game breaking; it's powerful but it's not over-the-top.

This is one of the subclasses I think really encapsulates when we're doing things really right the initial playtest feedback was through the roof positive. I think we had to tweak a few things here and there but it hit that note I think of ... I was joking when I said this should have been the Players Handbook but really it should've been in the Players Handbook because it's so iconic. As soon as we showed it to people they were just like "Yes this makes sense. This fits, the mechanics make sense, the mechanics are easy, there's nothing in those mechanics that's tricky or strange or clever. It's just obvious. I make things magical, I make my armor better and make my weapons better. I make things, that's it."

But it just hits such a resonant tone and that's always what we're shooting for we do these new subclasses - we want to hit that resonant tone. You can go for the thing that's very experimental that people haven't seen before, and that's part of the approach, you need to do some of that. But when you're doing things where people just look out and go "Oh yeah that's D&D", yes do you feel really you feeling good about yourself as a designer because I fill the gap that everyone wanted to play but they couldn't play. Maybe they didn't know the gap was empty until you gave them this, and then suddenly everyones playing it.

And I think that's how we are really truly growing the game when we do that, when you could imagine "Oh if you could go back in time and give Xanathar's to the Players Handbook team, this is one of the domains, one of the options, they would just be "Oh, yes, of course let's put this right in the Players Handbook."

That always feels good as a designer when you do that. To me it's it's not the exotic new wacky thing it's the thing that's just like, "You've invented baked potatoes. Now that you've invented it everyone will have these with their steak forever", I just feel like, "Wow, that's kind of cool!"

Because it fits, and that's when we know as designers, as creators, we're connecting with the audience, we're hitting on things that people want, we're hitting on things that just make sense to people, and I love that feeling as a designer on a game like Dungeons & Dragons, that has a history, that has a big active user base, it means we as designers are in touch with players, that work on the same page. I love that feeling."

Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 20.33.34.png

hejtmane

Explorer
Then they should have done the work. Let's not act like this is ditch digging. Far more should have been at launch especially considering their insane idea of content releases. Years later and we are finally getting some more.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app
We could just back to the old days where we just had cleric fighter thief and wizard call it a day. Ha sub classes talk about luxury

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Defcon is making a claim,not on his behalf, but wizards. I dont deny that Im coming from my point of view. But defcon doesnt speak for wizards and you dont rep everybody either. On these forums, there is plenty of people calling for psionics. So far hussar is the only one that spoke out for forge clerics, which is fine because I asked the question. You on the other hand just attack my opinion, which I repeat I never denied is my opinion. The funny thing is if I went that route people always run to the mods claiming I was mean. Defcon is blindly defending wizards because guess what 5e is not perfect.

I'm not "defending" WotC... I'm merely saying what I suspect THEY would say if they were to address you directly. Do I know this for a fact? Of course not. But we're also not talking outrageous leaps of logic here either.

The original statement you said that I commented on was "Your right I dont have to purchase the new book and I probaably wont, but is losing my mony good for wizards?" To which I responded that yes, losing your money probably WAS good for them. Because what they have done currently for 5E has been amazingly successful and made them money. And as you have not desired to purchase ANY of it outside of the core three books, makes it easy to come to the conclusion that what you WOULD buy for 5E is quite possibly not in step with what most other players would. And as a result, if they catered to YOUR desires alone and produced product that YOU would find good... there's a chance that most other people wouldn't and they'd make less money.

Apparently what you want and what most of the player base want are quite different. Or at least, the timetable for thinking it should arrive is different. Because yes, you *will* be getting psionics like you want... it's just going to be four mechanic books in (following the new elemental spell and races free player pamphlet, the Sword Coast gazetteer with new subclasses and backgrounds, the second monster book with new races, and the new player option book with new subclasses, spells, and feats.) And as far as your desire for Planescape... that's a setting that I *think* was like #2 or #3 on most wanted when WotC and/or ENWorld ran polls on them, so even then it probably wouldn't be first on the docket.

It is what it is. I have made a reasoned observation based upon available evidence. Could I be wrong? Absolutely. But the one thing I'm not is "blind". :)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
And incidentally... who was asking for a Forge domain? Apparently mostly everybody who responded to WotC's survey. Mike says outright that response to the domain was "through-the-roof positive".

Wait... you mean the posters here on ENWorld do not represent the totality of the D&D player base? Get outta town!!!

Tony Vargas

Legend
And incidentally... who was asking for a Forge domain? Apparently mostly everybody who responded to WotC's survey. Mike says outright that response to the domain was "through-the-roof positive".
There's asking for something, and there's ranking something. WotC presented some domains and asked folks which one's they liked, one was going to come out on top. Even if nobody had wanted any of them going into it. Two very different sentiments.

Ice cream's been used as an analogy many times. If you run an ice cream shop and serve nothing but variations on vanilla and various flavors of sherbet, you may find you get a lot of people volunteering the opinion that you should maybe carry chocolate, or rocky road, or chocolate chip or something...

But, if you do an extensive 'help us pick our next flavor' taste-test featuring Madagascar Vanilla, Jujube Sherbet, Lychee Sherbet, Tripple-ripple-vanilla road-monkey, and Garlic Sherbet, yes, one of those is going to win, and it's going to another vanilla or another sherbet... and you can safely say that it's what your customers wanted.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
There's asking for something, and there's ranking something. WotC presented some domains and asked folks which one's they liked, one was going to come out on top. Even if nobody had wanted any of them going into it. Two very different sentiments.

Ice cream's been used as an analogy many times. If you run an ice cream shop and serve nothing but variations on vanilla and various flavors of sherbet, you may find you get a lot of people volunteering the opinion that you should maybe carry chocolate, or rocky road, or chocolate chip or something...

But, if you do an extensive 'help us pick our next flavor' taste-test featuring Madagascar Vanilla, Jujube Sherbet, Lychee Sherbet, Tripple-ripple-vanilla road-monkey, and Garlic Sherbet, yes, one of those is going to win, and it's going to another vanilla or another sherbet... and you can safely say that it's what your customers wanted.

While I understand your point and can accept it to a certain extent... there *is* a difference we can talk about here. Nobody HAD to fill out those surveys. And indeed even if they did, they didn't HAVE to respond with any domain selection. It wasn't as though they were forced to select one of the options (even if those were the only options they were given.)

People chose to fill out the cleric domain survey, and they chose to respond overwhelmingly positively towards the Forge cleric. Mike could have easily just have said "Well, we got some responses in the survey and of the cleric domains we had in the UA playtest, it was the most liked." And he could have gone on to say "There were some things people liked, but other parts that they felt needed something more." THAT would be much more of a wishy-washy response. It'd be more fair with that kind of response to suppose that perhaps the Forge domain wasn't overwhelmingly favored or favorable.

But the fact that he said that the Forge domain was overwhelmingly positive and that it pretty much did exactly what people thought and felt the domain should do... can make us believe that it wasn't a "best of the worst" situation, but indeed that a lot of people DID like it and want to see it added and included.

But I mean... if you'd rather take your own memory of people's responses here on ENWorld of how they felt about the Forge domain when the UA was released over the statements made by Mike about it in the video... go right ahead. No skin off my nose, and besides which it doesn't matter anyway. The Forge domain is appearing in the book regardless so it's not like any of our opinions/memories matter at this point.

Tony Vargas

Legend
While I understand your point and can accept it to a certain extent... there *is* a difference we can talk about here. Nobody HAD to fill out those surveys.
Sure, but it's not like we get full response data, we just get comments on it...

People chose to fill out the cleric domain survey, and they chose to respond overwhelmingly positively towards the Forge cleric.
What we can say for sure, from the comment, is that of the self-selected group who responded to the survey, those who didn't leave the domain section blank, overwhelminginly had a positive response to one of the domains. That might have been 99 out of 100, or 80k out of 100k.

Mike could have easily just have said ...
Yeah. What isn't said in comments on data we never could be taken to imply all sorts of things. ;)

I guess that was his point. No one was clamoring for a Forge cleric, but once they saw that it was like, "well, sure, that fits perfectly, why didn't we realize it was missing?"

Which is nice, but there's stuff we've been missing the whole time that still isn't there. FWIW.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I guess that was his point. No one was clamoring for a Forge cleric, but once they saw that it was like, "well, sure, that fits perfectly, why didn't we realize it was missing?"

Which is nice, but there's stuff we've been missing the whole time that still isn't there. FWIW.

No one's really been clamoring for any cleric domains because they already had seven of them in the book. The people who HAVE been clamoring for things have tended to be doing so for things that either hadn't been touched upon at all (for instance psionics, up until they finally released the UA on it)... or things that WotC had already said they weren't doing or were not doing right away and thus generated responses from those who didn't like that answer (the warlord for the former or various other campaign settings for the latter.)

I mean, no one's been clamoring for another wizard subclass either since they already have the most out of all the classes, but WotC's probably going to make one anyway. But when the point is attempted here by other people that "no one" wanted the Forge domain, that's when we can smirk and roll our eyes at it.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I mean, no one's been clamoring for another wizard subclass either since they already have the most out of all the classes, but WotC's probably going to make one anyway.
My feel for it is that there's been more clamor for a 'generalist wizard' than there was for a forge cleric. Less clamor than everything else I mentioned above, but some clamor, enough to use 'clamor' and not feel silly about it...
...in spite of clamoring about clamor so much in one thread.

But when the point is attempted here by other people that "no one" wanted the Forge domain...
Say "no one" on a forum, and you will immediately have people jump up, clamoring (since I seem to like the word so much) to be counter-examples.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Tony was the comments form section of your surveys not functioning or something? Because I used mine every time, and asked for the things I wanted regardless of what was in the survey I was filling out. And WOTC gathered that comment information (they've mentioned it before) along with interest expressed elsewhere. So if you wanted something, all you had to do was ask, along with others, and eventually it would filter up. If enough people want something with 5e, they get it.

Except for Warlord. Because they don't like Warlord lovers. You know what Mike Mearls and Jeremy Crawford look like when they encounter someone who really wants a Warlord in 5e? This*:

[video=youtube;yVKySA2-47c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVKySA2-47c[/video]

*I will let you decide which is Mearls and which is Crawford. But you Warlord lovers are definitely Luke in this scenario :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony Vargas

Legend
Tony was the comments form section of your surveys not functioning or something? Because I used mine every time, and asked for the things I wanted regardless of what was in the survey I was filling out.
Yep, I always do that, too. I doubt a lot of folks do, surveys evoke a fill-in-the-blanks response. I've never heard a peep about comments sections from WotC though. They could be filled with invective or people clamoring for a 5e BoEF, for all we know. Most likely some poor intern compiles and summarizes them into a document and saves it to /dev/null

Edit: had to work in 'clamoring...'

Edit:
*I will let you decide which is Mearls and which is Crawford. But you Warlord lovers are definitely Luke in this scenario :)
What I want to know is: where is Obi-wan when you need him?

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads