• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mike Mearls on D&D Psionics: Should Psionic Flavor Be Altered?

WotC's Mike Mearls has been asking for opinions on how psionics should be treated in D&D 5th Edition. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that he'd hinted that he might be working on something, and this pretty much seals the deal. He asked yesterday "Agree/Disagree: The flavor around psionics needs to be altered to allow it to blend more smoothly into a traditional fantasy setting", and then followed up with some more comments today.

WotC's Mike Mearls has been asking for opinions on how psionics should be treated in D&D 5th Edition. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that he'd hinted that he might be working on something, and this pretty much seals the deal. He asked yesterday "Agree/Disagree: The flavor around psionics needs to be altered to allow it to blend more smoothly into a traditional fantasy setting", and then followed up with some more comments today.

"Thanks for all the replies! Theoretically, were I working on psionics, I'd try to set some high bars for the execution. Such as - no psionic power duplicates a spell, and vice versa. Psionics uses a distinct mechanic, so no spell slots. One thing that might be controversial - I really don't like the scientific terminology, like psychokinesis, etc. But I think a psionicist should be exotic and weird, and drawing on/tied to something unsettling on a cosmic scale.... [but]... I think the source of psi would be pretty far from the realm of making pacts. IMO, old one = vestige from 3e's Tome of Magic.

One final note - Dark Sun is, IMO, a pretty good example of what happens to a D&D setting when psionic energy reaches its peak. Not that the rules would require it, but I think it's an interesting idea to illustrate psi's relationship to magic on a cosmic level."

GobiWon

Explorer
Erudites could mesh Psi and Magic.

There's a core Wizard spell which gives you power points and Powers, so the exchange already went one way.

You're ignoring a bunch of D&D history

One alternative class and a single spell does not a bunch make in my mind. If the slots mesh then the Psion is just another caster and we should just publish a bunch of psionic spells ... create the sorcerer sub-class and call it a day.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
One alternative class and a single spell does not a bunch make in my mind.
You're free to do your own research. All I was doing was contradicting your assertion, and one counter-example is all that's necessary in order to do so.

You're either moving the goalposts from "prove me wrong" (which I did), or you've got a different idea about what we're discussing than I do.

If it's the latter, could you let me know what you're looking for?

If the slots mesh then the Psion is just another caster and we should just publish a bunch of psionic spells ... create the sorcerer sub-class and call it a day.
Bards, Sorcerers, Wizards, Clerics and Druids all use the same spell slot scheme.

Are you trying to assert that Bards, Wizards, Clerics and Druids are superfluous? That they should all just go away?

I think that's a terrible idea.

I want a full class for the Psion, and I want magic and psionics to multi-class as well as nearly everything else does in 5e. That doesn't have to mean that Psions use spell-slots, but doing so is one way which would work.

Remove ads

Remove ads