Mike Mearls on D&D Psionics: Should Psionic Flavor Be Altered?

WotC's Mike Mearls has been asking for opinions on how psionics should be treated in D&D 5th Edition. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that he'd hinted that he might be working on something, and this pretty much seals the deal. He asked yesterday "Agree/Disagree: The flavor around psionics needs to be altered to allow it to blend more smoothly into a traditional fantasy setting", and then followed up with some more comments today.

WotC's Mike Mearls has been asking for opinions on how psionics should be treated in D&D 5th Edition. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that he'd hinted that he might be working on something, and this pretty much seals the deal. He asked yesterday "Agree/Disagree: The flavor around psionics needs to be altered to allow it to blend more smoothly into a traditional fantasy setting", and then followed up with some more comments today.

"Thanks for all the replies! Theoretically, were I working on psionics, I'd try to set some high bars for the execution. Such as - no psionic power duplicates a spell, and vice versa. Psionics uses a distinct mechanic, so no spell slots. One thing that might be controversial - I really don't like the scientific terminology, like psychokinesis, etc. But I think a psionicist should be exotic and weird, and drawing on/tied to something unsettling on a cosmic scale.... [but]... I think the source of psi would be pretty far from the realm of making pacts. IMO, old one = vestige from 3e's Tome of Magic.

One final note - Dark Sun is, IMO, a pretty good example of what happens to a D&D setting when psionic energy reaches its peak. Not that the rules would require it, but I think it's an interesting idea to illustrate psi's relationship to magic on a cosmic level."

GobiWon

Explorer
Erudites could mesh Psi and Magic.

There's a core Wizard spell which gives you power points and Powers, so the exchange already went one way.

You're ignoring a bunch of D&D history

One alternative class and a single spell does not a bunch make in my mind. If the slots mesh then the Psion is just another caster and we should just publish a bunch of psionic spells ... create the sorcerer sub-class and call it a day.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
One alternative class and a single spell does not a bunch make in my mind.
You're free to do your own research. All I was doing was contradicting your assertion, and one counter-example is all that's necessary in order to do so.

You're either moving the goalposts from "prove me wrong" (which I did), or you've got a different idea about what we're discussing than I do.

If it's the latter, could you let me know what you're looking for?

If the slots mesh then the Psion is just another caster and we should just publish a bunch of psionic spells ... create the sorcerer sub-class and call it a day.
Bards, Sorcerers, Wizards, Clerics and Druids all use the same spell slot scheme.

Are you trying to assert that Bards, Wizards, Clerics and Druids are superfluous? That they should all just go away?

I think that's a terrible idea.

I want a full class for the Psion, and I want magic and psionics to multi-class as well as nearly everything else does in 5e. That doesn't have to mean that Psions use spell-slots, but doing so is one way which would work.

Remove ads

Remove ads