Mike Schley's MASSIVE Forgotten Realms Map From SCAG!

Cartographer Mike Schley has posted the enormous map of Northwest Faerûn from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. It's poster sized (10,200 x 6,600 pixels, or a 34-page PDF) or you can get the Artists Print version shipped to you in the form of a poster map. "This new absolutely massive map of D&D's Sword Coast and Northwestern Faerûn was commissioned by Wizards of the Coast to accompany their 5th Edition D&D game supplement Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. lead your adventures through his exhaustive map of The Forgotten Realms' most Iconic lands and make sure to let it inspire some truly fantastic storytelling."

Cartographer Mike Schley has posted the enormous map of Northwest Faerûn from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. It's poster sized (10,200 x 6,600 pixels, or a 34-page PDF) or you can get the Artists Print version shipped to you in the form of a poster map. "This new absolutely massive map of D&D's Sword Coast and Northwestern Faerûn was commissioned by Wizards of the Coast to accompany their 5th Edition D&D game supplement Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. lead your adventures through his exhaustive map of The Forgotten Realms' most Iconic lands and make sure to let it inspire some truly fantastic storytelling."
The print version ($10-$54, depending on size) is here, and the digital version ($10) is here.

schley_fr.jpg

Silthen

First Post
Calm the hell down, please, and stop insulting people.
My response was no less insulting than his. There have been more than a few posts about "being a smart shopper", etc., that have implied that I'm ignorant or something for having faith in WoTC and buying SCAG without first doing research.

pukunui

Legend
Seeing's how this is the ONLY sourcebook to contain setting material for the Realms thus far (other than what can be found in the various adventures that have already been released), why would they NOT invlude a decent map?!
For the reasons I've already stated above.

... throw the DM a bone and give him something to work with.
Which is exactly what they have done by allowing the cartographer to sell a digital version of the map, which does have a scale on it. And if WotC manages to get to $100k on their Extra Life donations, they'll even release that map for free!

The DM can also go to dndclassics.com and buy 30 years' worth of FR setting material in digital format. If, as you say, the 3e era map you found should not be considered out of date, why should any of the setting material contained in the 1e, 2e, and 3e books be considered so?

Silthen

First Post
No... it's actually just that some of us actually pay attention to what we're buying before handing over our money, so we know exactly what we're paying for. And we don't assume that what we're buying now is the same as something we bought 7 years ago, and rather we double-check first like the intelligent shoppers that we are. And if the product they present us is worth the money the company is asking of us, we give them our money gladly. If it isn't... then we don't. Or at the very least we don't go to a place that won't return it on the off-chance we did feel ripped off after the fact.

I find this post incredibly insulting, Morrus, but no one said anything about it. His attitude is extremely condescending.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Lol, ok, dude, thanks for the input.

I think the DMG provides travel times for certain distances, if I recall correctly; I don't have my books handy at the moment, so I could be thinking of some other resource.

But either way, applying a scale is pretty easy. Take two points...let's use your example of Waterdeep and Baldur's Gate...decide how much time you'd like for it to take travelers in your game to get from one location to the other and then record how much distance it would take for people to travel that length of time. Take a piece of paper, mark the distance between the two cities on the edge, and then use that to create a scale.

Yes that may require a little more time on your part...but it is an alternative to buying a map, which is what you asked for. And what Campaign or Player's Guide didn't require a little work on our part?

I'm not saying this to try to upset you, just to let you know that a poster map isn't as absolutely necessary as you seem to view it.

Silthen

First Post
For the reasons I've already stated above.

Which is exactly what they have done by allowing the cartographer to sell a digital version of the map, which does have a scale on it. And if WotC manages to get to $100k on their Extra Life donations, they'll even release that map for free!

The DM can also go to dndclassics.com and buy 30 years' worth of FR setting material in digital format. If, as you say, the 3e era map you found should not be considered out of date, why should any of the setting material contained in the 1e, 2e, and 3e books be considered so?

Why would I buy old FR material from dndclassics.com when I can get the map for FREE from wizards.com. That's my point.

JeffB

Legend
I find this post incredibly insulting, Morrus, but no one said anything about it. His attitude is extremely condescending.

First rule of enworld, dont call out moderation in thread. Send a pm

That said, there are a handful of folks around here who think wizards blows sunshine and rainbows out their buttholes and everyone who has a disagreement with their new completely different business model vs. the past 40 years, is a moron and should just suck it up.

Everything is wonderful. Move along.

Silthen

First Post
I think the DMG provides travel times for certain distances, if I recall correctly; I don't have my books handy at the moment, so I could be thinking of some other resource.

But either way, applying a scale is pretty easy. Take two points...let's use your example of Waterdeep and Baldur's Gate...decide how much time you'd like for it to take travelers in your game to get from one location to the other and then record how much distance it would take for people to travel that length of time. Take a piece of paper, mark the distance between the two cities on the edge, and then use that to create a scale.

Yes that may require a little more time on your part...but it is an alternative to buying a map, which is what you asked for. And what Campaign or Player's Guide didn't require a little work on our part?

I'm not saying this to try to upset you, just to let you know that a poster map isn't as absolutely necessary as you seem to view it.

Or they could've just put a scale on the map and we wouldn't be having this conversation right now and a lot less people would be upset.

Silthen

First Post
Why is it that when someone has an opposing viewpoint that many (not all) of the people that frequent these forums have to belittle those that feel different? I've seen it all over the place here. We're gamers. I fancy ourselves an intellectual lot. We SHOULD be working together rather than arguing amongst ourselves. If my attitude has diminished, it's only because of post after post of people essential slamming me.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Or they could've just put a scale on the map and we wouldn't be having this conversation right now and a lot less people would be upset.

Sure. I understand that and I acknowledge that it's a valid complaint.

But, without brin g able to travel back in time and remind them not to edit the scale off of the in-book map, I'll take my solution of creating my own scale as a viable solution to having to buy a map.

Just offerings you an alternative to buying the map.

Silthen

First Post
First rule of enworld, dont call out moderation in thread. Send a pm

That said, there are a handful of folks around here who think wizards blows sunshine and rainbows out their buttholes and everyone who has a disagreement with their new completely different business model vs. the past 40 years, is a moron and should just suck it up.

Everything is wonderful. Move along.

1. Wasn't aware of the "first rule".

2. I'd say it's more than a "handful".

Remove ads

Remove ads