Mike Schley's MASSIVE Forgotten Realms Map From SCAG!

Cartographer Mike Schley has posted the enormous map of Northwest Faerûn from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. It's poster sized (10,200 x 6,600 pixels, or a 34-page PDF) or you can get the Artists Print version shipped to you in the form of a poster map. "This new absolutely massive map of D&D's Sword Coast and Northwestern Faerûn was commissioned by Wizards of the Coast to accompany their 5th Edition D&D game supplement Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. lead your adventures through his exhaustive map of The Forgotten Realms' most Iconic lands and make sure to let it inspire some truly fantastic storytelling."

Cartographer Mike Schley has posted the enormous map of Northwest Faerûn from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. It's poster sized (10,200 x 6,600 pixels, or a 34-page PDF) or you can get the Artists Print version shipped to you in the form of a poster map. "This new absolutely massive map of D&D's Sword Coast and Northwestern Faerûn was commissioned by Wizards of the Coast to accompany their 5th Edition D&D game supplement Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. lead your adventures through his exhaustive map of The Forgotten Realms' most Iconic lands and make sure to let it inspire some truly fantastic storytelling."
The print version ($10-$54, depending on size) is here, and the digital version ($10) is here.

schley_fr.jpg

pukunui

Legend
There are circles everywhere dude. In the hills, grasslands, etc... I agree that it would have been a nice touch to have things like Red Larch and Phandalin marked on the map too.
Ah. I see what you mean. Yes, there are a lot of circles.

Nice map. Looks like there are only a few differences from the 3e FRCS map (mostly roads), so it's pretty useful for me in my 1370 DR game.
Yeah, the roads have mostly gone back to looking like they did on the AD&D era maps. That is to say, 1e/2e and 5e maps only shows actual roads, whereas the 3e and 4e maps showed both roads and trails.

And distances are off. Compare the distance between Neverwinter and Waterdeep on the 3rd edition map and now on this one...but they do say in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide that "stories circulated of known destinations being farther away from one another, as if the world had quietly added miles of wilderness to the distance between them" (p. 18).

My Staples printed it for me actual size, and it is frickin' enormous. They gave it to me for free, too! I ordered a 24x36 engineering print, and when I came in they had this huge one, too. Guy said they often print actual size when people order something smaller because people are sometimes disappointed and want it larger. Go figure.

pukunui

Legend
And distances are off. Compare the distance between Neverwinter and Waterdeep on the 3rd edition map and now on this one...but they do say in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide that "stories circulated of known destinations being farther away from one another, as if the world had quietly added miles of wilderness to the distance between them" (p. 18).
LOL. That'll be a sly reference to Chris Perkins' "scale drift" comment from a while back.

My Staples printed it for me actual size, and it is frickin' enormous. They gave it to me for free, too! I ordered a 24x36 engineering print, and when I came in they had this huge one, too. Guy said they often print actual size when people order something smaller because people are sometimes disappointed and want it larger. Go figure.
Lucky! I don't think any of the NZ equivalent stores would do anything like that.

JohnLynch

Explorer
I'm glad they've gone back to the 1e/2e scale. The idea of "Faerun is too big" fed directly into "every nook and cranny has been detailed" which fed into "let's blow up half the Realms." People who want to gloss over travel times can easily do it without shrinking down the Realms.

Yeah, this is a really good scale. I didn't realized that the scale had drifted over the product line. From what I can tell, the scale was even bigger than this on the maps in the 2e The North boxed set, but that was probably a tad bit excessive. I do like this better than the 3e one. This scale makes Faerun pretty close in size to the Flanaess on Oerth, which for some reason makes me happy.

machineelf

Explorer
Yea, way cool. How much did that cost you? Where did you do it?

It cost a fair bit of change. I got it printed on a slightly nicer paper than the standard grade paper, and got it laminated, so all in all at that size it cost me about $65 I think. I figure that it's a map that now will last my lifetime and be useful for years of playing, and I don't mind spending money on D&D stuff because it's one of my main hobbies.

I got it printed at a local print shop in my city.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
That said, there are a handful of folks around here who think wizards blows sunshine and rainbows out their buttholes and everyone who has a disagreement with their new completely different business model vs. the past 40 years, is a moron and should just suck it up.

Everything is wonderful. Move along.

Well, the business model of the last decade and a half was marked by the cyclical layoffs. At least they don't do that anymore. Mostly because they have so few people working there and farm out their products but at least folks know where they'll be come the holidays. :)

moldyderp

Explorer
I uploaded the jpeg file, whatever size that was. You need to then select fit to size/shrink to fit or something like that, and then I adjusted the window so that I wouldn't print white space on the top and bottom.

I can't figure out how you adjusted the window so that you wouldn't print white space? My image is uploaded and shrunk to fit the 36x48 engineering print they offer, but I have white space on the top and bottom, and cannot figure out how to manipulate the canvas to prevent that.

Remove ads

Remove ads