• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mike Schley's MASSIVE Forgotten Realms Map From SCAG!

Cartographer Mike Schley has posted the enormous map of Northwest Faerûn from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. It's poster sized (10,200 x 6,600 pixels, or a 34-page PDF) or you can get the Artists Print version shipped to you in the form of a poster map. "This new absolutely massive map of D&D's Sword Coast and Northwestern Faerûn was commissioned by Wizards of the Coast to accompany their 5th Edition D&D game supplement Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. lead your adventures through his exhaustive map of The Forgotten Realms' most Iconic lands and make sure to let it inspire some truly fantastic storytelling."

Cartographer Mike Schley has posted the enormous map of Northwest Faerûn from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. It's poster sized (10,200 x 6,600 pixels, or a 34-page PDF) or you can get the Artists Print version shipped to you in the form of a poster map. "This new absolutely massive map of D&D's Sword Coast and Northwestern Faerûn was commissioned by Wizards of the Coast to accompany their 5th Edition D&D game supplement Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. lead your adventures through his exhaustive map of The Forgotten Realms' most Iconic lands and make sure to let it inspire some truly fantastic storytelling."
The print version ($10-$54, depending on size) is here, and the digital version ($10) is here.

schley_fr.jpg

Exactly! It's the 5e equivalent of 3e's Player's Guide to Faerûn and 4e's Forgotten Realms Player's Guide. Both of those books contain player options along with some setting info to give players a taste of the setting.

(EDIT: I'm not 100% sure about the 3e book, but I once owned the 4e FRPG, so I can state for a fact that not only did it not come with a pull-out map but it also did not even show as much of a map as the SCAG does. The 4e FPRG just had some little pieces of the map that came with the FRCG to go along with some of the regional backgrounds and such.)

I mean, come on, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide ... is that not enough of a clue? Not only is this not a Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting guide, it's not even a Sword Coast Campaign Setting guide. It's a *player's* guide to the Sword Coast.

It even says as much on the product page: "While the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide is a valuable resource for Dungeon Masters, it was crafted with players and their characters foremost in mind. There is a plethora of new character options to intrigue and inspire every member of the adventuring party."

I've actually been considering making a fairly long post on the subject of SCAG vs a potential FRCS, and what we may or may not see in the future based on what was covered, and what was not covered, in SCAG.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I would be interested in your speculations.

If they wanted to so a more DM centered campaign guide, I'd rather see a box set, with poster maps an adventure like Lost Mines, etc..

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I just printed a 24x36 poster of the Tyranny of dragons painting on card stock on vista print for about $20 bucks plus 7 for shipping - came in today and looks great. I'd recommend at least looking into that option if your looking to print a large poster.

Silthen

First Post
No... it's actually just that some of us actually pay attention to what we're buying before handing over our money, so we know exactly what we're paying for. And we don't assume that what we're buying now is the same as something we bought 7 years ago, and rather we double-check first like the intelligent shoppers that we are. And if the product they present us is worth the money the company is asking of us, we give them our money gladly. If it isn't... then we don't. Or at the very least we don't go to a place that won't return it on the off-chance we did feel ripped off after the fact.

Sounds like you're just too blind to see what a good value is and what isn't. Probably used to getting ripped off yourself and can't tell the difference anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silthen

First Post
Yes. You make it up. It's all made up.

What difference is it if a book says that the distance is 700 miles but you instead tell your players it's only 300? I decide things like that arbitrarily all the time, and I already have a poster map.

Lol, ok, dude, thanks for the input.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sounds like you're just too blind to see what a good value is and what isn't. Probably used to getting ripped off yourself and can't tell the difference anymore.

Calm the hell down, please, and stop insulting people.

Silthen

First Post
As I mentioned in post #148 above, I think the main mistake you're making here is to regard SCAG as a campaign setting book. It's not. It's a player's guide. And, while I could be wrong, I don't think any of the previous FR player's guides came with pull-out maps.

It is unfair to compare this book to the AD&D box sets, the 3e FRCS, or the 4e FRCG. It's more fair to compare it to the 3e Player's Guide to Faerûn or 4e's Forgotten Realms Player's Guide. (Not sure if there is a comparable AD&D product.)

Take a look at post #135, in which you state: "No, actually it DOES mean we are entitled to those maps!" Seems like a deliberate choice of the word "entitled" to me.

I've been playing D&D since the early 90s. I own the 1e FR grey box, the 2e FR gold box, and the 3e FRCS. I have also just happily placed an order for the 5e SCAG now that the Book Depository finally has it in stock. I do not expect it to be as comprehensive as any of those prior editions' books, nor do I expect it to be in the same vein as those books, since I know that - as I said above - it is more of a player's guide than a DM-oriented campaign setting guide. I was not expecting a pull-out map to come with it.

That is the 3e era map. It's fairly out of date now.

Regardless, I don't feel that God or the government should knock on my door and hand me a map. I admitted that my choice of words was erroneous already. As far as the map being out of date, various WoTC employees have stated that the Realms has returned to the state it was in, geographically, before the Sundering, so I fail to see how the old map is out of date.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silthen

First Post
Exactly! It's the 5e equivalent of 3e's Player's Guide to Faerûn and 4e's Forgotten Realms Player's Guide. Both of those books contain player options along with some setting info to give players a taste of the setting.

(EDIT: I'm not 100% sure about the 3e book, but I once owned the 4e FRPG, so I can state for a fact that not only did it not come with a pull-out map but it also did not even show as much of a map as the SCAG does. The 4e FPRG just had some little pieces of the map that came with the FRCG to go along with some of the regional backgrounds and such.)

I mean, come on, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide ... is that not enough of a clue? Not only is this not a Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting guide, it's not even a Sword Coast Campaign Setting guide. It's a *player's* guide to the Sword Coast.

It even says as much on the product page: "While the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide is a valuable resource for Dungeon Masters, it was crafted with players and their characters foremost in mind. There is a plethora of new character options to intrigue and inspire every member of the adventuring party."

Seeing's how this is the ONLY sourcebook to contain setting material for the Realms thus far (other than what can be found in the various adventures that have already been released), why would they NOT invlude a decent map?! You can't run an adventure without a DM, so even if this book was "crafted" for the players, throw the DM a bone and give him something to work with. A better idea would've been to release an official campaign setting first! Or, as I've said many times before, at least have the common sense to put a famn scale on the map so the DM can plot some travel times!

Remove ads

Remove ads