• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Minions above 1st level

HP Dreadnought

First Post
O.K. . . . so kobold minions die in one hit. Fine.

What about higher level monsters? Is it possible for higher level mosters to be minions?

If so, do they also die in one hit?

If so, are there any rules about what will kill them in one hit? For example, if a 3rd level pc manages to hit an 8th level ogre minion, does the ogre die in one shot?

Just trying to wrap my brain around the minion concept.

Kordeth

First Post
There are minion monsters at all levels--we've seen at least stats for a 10th-level vampire minion, and wasn't one of the devils in Monday's preview a 20+ level minion?

As far as minion hp, that's not entirely clear. The vampire spawn minion had 10 hp as a 10th-level minion, but it was from a DDM stat card, which sometimes don't 100% reflect the RPG rules. Also, some of the other minions we've seen simply say "minions die when they suffer an attack that inflicts hit point damage," which implies that it might be a global trait of minions (one presumes if it was a unique property of the monster, it would say "Kobold minions...")

Cirex

First Post
Minions, for what we have seen, got three important things:
-Very low HP. Kobolds got ~1, vampirespawn minions got 10 (very low for its level).
-Fixed damage. 2 for Kobolds, can't remember how much for Vampirespawn.
-Their strength comes in the tactical movement. Kobolds get that shifting ability and vampirespawns increase their attack bonus when they got adjacent allies.

So we can assume that most minions will follow these rules.

Saitou

First Post
Vampire Spawn, a level nine or ten minion, has 10 HP.

Sorry, no link.

The idea being, of course, that while they DO have HP, they should still die when hit by a PC of similar level.

DandD

First Post
Vampire Minions have 10 hitpoints. But they probably still die in one hit by the weapon damage that higher-level heroes do.

I doubt that you're supposed to fight an 8th level ogre minion if you're only level 3. Anyway, the 8th level ogre minion will probably also have hitpoints, and won't be counted as a minion for the 3rd level heroes.

Vymair

First Post
I'd speculate the defense will be level appropriate, but the hit points will be low enough to be a one shot kill by an similarly leveled character.

I'm really looking forward to minions, wading through minions makes you feel heroic....

Spatula

Explorer
Kordeth said:
As far as minion hp, that's not entirely clear. The vampire spawn minion had 10 hp as a 10th-level minion, but it was from a DDM stat card, which sometimes don't 100% reflect the RPG rules.
It was from the RPG stats on a DDM stat card, which as far as I have seen so far 100% reflect the RPG rules.

Kordeth said:
Also, some of the other minions we've seen simply say "minions die when they suffer an attack that inflicts hit point damage," which implies that it might be a global trait of minions (one presumes if it was a unique property of the monster, it would say "Kobold minions...")
The only creature that's had that text is the 1st level kobold minion.

But then, the kobold and vampire are the only minions we've seen stats for.

Kordeth

First Post
Spatula said:
It was from the RPG stats on a DDM stat card, which as far as I have seen so far 100% reflect the RPG rules.

The only creature that's had that text is the 1st level kobold minion.

But then, the kobold and vampire are the only minions we've seen stats for.

Huh, you're right--I thought we had seen more for some reason. Still, it seems weird that they'd call it out that way on the kobold minion rather than just saying it has 1 hp.

Stalker0

Legend
My favorite thing about minions is while their defense is low in terms of hitpoints, their offense is pretty good. A kobold minion has a +5 to hit, and does 2 damage. At first level that's not bad when they are in groups, especially when they are teamed up with other creatures that gain bonuses when their allies are around.

DandD

First Post
Perhaps it was just statted so on the kobold minion stats for fun... You know, kobold weaklings and such, they simply die if one only looks into their direction...

Remove ads