D&D 5E Misty Step in manacles?

Dausuul

Legend
If a character casts Misty Step while in manacles (verbal only spell), what happens? Do they teleport with the manacles on? Or do they drop to the ground?

What if the character is chained to a wall?
If you can't move an object by normal means (pick it up and carry it), you shouldn't be able to bring it with you when teleporting. So if you're chained to a wall, you're in the clear: The chains don't go with you.

If you have manacles on, it's a more interesting question. Dimension door states that you "can bring objects with you," implying that it's an optional choice; you don't have to bring the objects. Thus you could leave the manacles behind. The question is, since misty step has no similar language, does it work the same way?

On the grounds that the PC is expending a moderately valuable resource (a 2nd-level spell slot), for no other benefit than removing the manacles, I would rule that it works and you can choose to leave the manacles behind.

As for DMs saying "You didn't say you brought your gear with you, so you leave it behind," that's not a rules issue. That's a "you need a better class of DM" issue.

Last edited:

CAFRedblade

Explorer
If the DM is nice, perhaps it allows a Sleight of Hand(int) check or an Arcana check when using Misty Step to extricate oneself during the misty step. The DC being equal to the normal pick lock check value?

jasper

Rotten DM
If the DM is nice, perhaps it allows a Sleight of Hand(int) check or an Arcana check when using Misty Step to extricate oneself during the misty step. The DC being equal to the normal pick lock check value?
Building on this. Since the pc is in a magic world. How about different dc depending on manacles?
Handcuffs/ Manacles. Manacles for this chart mean they are attached to something like wall, cannon ball, table. etc. Manacles raise the DC by +5
Drunk Handcuffs. DC 5 Sleight of hand, arcana, Athletics, acrobatics.
Sober Handcuffs DC 10.
Escape proof DC 15.
Prison escape proof. DC 20
Mage Proof DC 25.
Insert various language and lore to cover this.

As to the original poster. Being nice I would allow the person to leave the manacles behind.

Obeliske

First Post
I like this question because one of the answers is 'Depend on the DM'.
And that answer make people mad!

Ditto, any answer here written by players should be immediately discarded. Far to many players are trying to break this spell for their own uses instead of playing the game. This ones up to your gm completely and every one of them will treat it differently. I would pose the question however manacles are in the players equipment portion of the book but there are no full hand manacles. How does average Joe sheriff deal with murderous caster? If you can't lock the guy up do they just out and out murder every caster? How would that affect the populace when they learn your a caster. People seem to want to break the game without thinking about the consequences nor any further then their own happiness.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
How does average Joe sheriff deal with murderous caster?
I think most people would play that manacles prevent spells with S or M components. (Surely you don't have "free use" of your hands in manacles.) For verbal components in in misty step, a gag will serve.

Yeah. If I allowed the characters to Misty Step out of manacles it would not be very long at all before one of them decided to Misty Step out of their clothes.

Keep in mind that Misty Step only goes 30' to a space that is in sight. So the characters would see the wizard disappear and reappear 30' away and unable to cast anything but a cantrip.

Best to just gag him and ask yes or no questions.

30 feet and within sight can be behind that three in the shadows outside the light from the campfire. If done at night it could allow for an immediate Hide check with advantage. On the other hand if its in a room with the door closed and all the windows shuttered tight then it means you might move 5 feet to the left and wasted a spell. Situation really decides a lot here.

Either way I would have any restraints purely attached to the wizard go with him when he Misty Steps.

I would probably allow a player to misty step out of manacles (or their clothes) if they specifically stated that they wanted to leave them behind. If they said nothing I would assume anything worn or carried came with them.

If a spellcaster is captured, they are pretty much always gagged as well as manacled.

Spastik

First Post
I'd rule if it's not "attached" to anything that it would misty step with you. Now that could mean that someone else is holding the manacles, a fellow prisoner let's say, so they couldn't come with you. Or maybe wrap them around a solid object and pull on them and then misty step out. I'd make em work for it a little if they are just cuffs :D

Remove ads