D&D 5E Misty Step in manacles?

S'mon

Legend
I would probably allow a player to misty step out of manacles (or their clothes) if they specifically stated that they wanted to leave them behind.

If it's not in the rules (neither allowed nor forbidden) I generally require an Arcana check to succeed, defaulting to DC 15 (average) or 10 + spell level. Misty Stepping out of clothes or manacles seems like a good time for an Arcana check. If the PC did it repeatedly I'd eventually let them use their Passive score for the check.

Sadras

Legend
Like in all editions: bind, gag, blindfold

But, I have a house rule that bracelets of cold iron disrupt somatic components, and cold iron choker disrupts verbal components.

Exactly. A decent city watch keeps a set of sterilised BDSM kits for your deviant casters. Larger cities offer a greater variety of mechanical restraints and sensory deprivation equipment.

Last edited:

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Note, Perkins' response is to the OP's second question, not the first one.

I would allow misty step to escape a grapple, manacled to a wall, etc. as those are things you can't misty step with. (You can't take another creature, and the wall manacles are not things that you are holding, like a weapon or staff.) However, if you are manacled, ala handcuffs, then I would have the manacles go with the character, just like his clothes, equipment, etc. do.

Other folks may read the spell differently, but that would be my ruling.

So, if you jailers are aware of this possibility, but don't have the ability to set up magic defenses, they should put manacles and leg irons and a chain from one to the other, and a ball and chain to the leg irons, to prevent all but slow, shuffling movement. Then have a chain/rope around the waist tied to a ring on a wall. So, if the character misty steps, they escape the rope tied to the wall but they are still limited by the manacles, leg irons, and ball. Similarly, a character hogtied to a pole, being carried through the jungle to the cannibal village can misty step but that will just move the character and pole, still hogtied, to a location a little bit of distance from those that were carrying the character.

Yeah, I like this. Works for me.

Remove ads