D&D General Mithral v Silver

I think I remember True Silver coming up in D&D back in the 70's or early 80's. But no idea the source, canon, 3rd party, or Tolkien! Anyone know?

As for me, I hate material specific immunities and resistances. I find them cumbersome and annoying as a player. Lets see; my sword is silver, my mace is adamantine, my hammer is holy and then I have pair of daggers, one lawful and one anarchic! Now which weapon do I use when fighting an adamantine flaming skeletal Archer?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I think I remember True Silver coming up in D&D back in the 70's or early 80's. But no idea the source, canon, 3rd party, or Tolkien! Anyone know?

As for me, I hate material specific immunities and resistances. I find them cumbersome and annoying as a player. Lets see; my sword is silver, my mace is adamantine, my hammer is holy and then I have pair of daggers, one lawful and one anarchic! Now which weapon do I use when fighting an adamantine flaming skeletal Archer?
I like them, as long as there aren’t too many. Silver for lycanthropes. Magic weapons for incorporeal creatures. Non-magic weapons for fae (as opposed to “cold iron” being a special material). And, since Adamantine weapons in XGtE auto-crit objects, I like giving constructs vulnerability to them (or ignore resistance if they resist BP&S).

Shiroiken

Legend
I've houseruled that Mithril weapons gain the finesse property. Weapons that already have the finesse property gain the light property. Weapons that already have both gain the Off Hand* property. If a weapon has all three, it doesn't gain any other benefits.

The off hand property is a homebrew property I added to most 1d4 light weapons. You can use it for TWF, even if your other weapon is not a light weapon. This allows for sword and dagger style without spending/wasting a feat. Mathematically, it helps TWF keep up at higher levels if you don't use feats (Great Weapon FIghting and Sharpshooter blow Two Weapon Mastery out of the water).

Greenfield

Adventurer
I can’t read your players minds of course, but at a guess, sliver would be a terrible material for making weapons out of, and “silvered” steel weapons is kind of vague - are they silver plated or something? Wouldn’t that wear off quickly? A magical metal that has the DR-bypassing properties of silver but the structural qualities of steel is a bit more appealing. Plus, mithril armor exists, so it makes sense players might want mithril weapons too.
"Alchemical Silver" is the alloy referenced in 3.*. And yes, it's a terrible metal, hence the -1 damage from silver weapons.

There's also a mix called Silversheen that can be applied. I makes the weapon "silver" temporarily. It does wear off.

In AD&D )Edition 1, 2), you needed "silver or better" to hit, say, a werewolf. Silver itself was quickly rendered obsolete, since magic weapons were considered "better".

It wasn't until 3x that Silver began to mean something. Maybe that's why I want to keep it that way.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but here's what I did.

I house-ruled that mithral weapons have a +1 non-magical bonus to hit and damage rolls. They aren't magical, they don't detect as magical, and they don't bypass damage reduction like magical weapons do...but they are +1 weapons, and continue to function like +1 weapons even when they're in an anti-magic field. Similarly, adamantine weapons have a +2 non-magical bonus, and titanite weapons have a +3 non-magical bonus.
Hmm I seem to recall that special metal weapons are automatically "Master Worked" in 3.X, so they would get +1 to hot (doesn't stack with magic). No bonus to damage, at least in 3.X

Wolf72

Explorer
Pretty sure you are correct on that MW component of getting +1 (or -1 ACP) that doesn't stack with anything but is there.

the Jester

Legend
In my game, mithral is not silver, and while it has its own properties, it doesn't substitute for silver.

Mithral is extraordinarily rare and valuable. A mithral piece, a very rare coin indeed, is worth 10,000 gp. So you won't see mithral weapons casually laying around. In fact, I can't recall ever having one in my game- though I could see it.

Remove ads