• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MM III question-death giants

Baramay

First Post
Why is the death giant considered to be size huge? It is listed as 15' tall and 2000 lbs. Frost giants are large and 15' tall and 2800 lbs. For 3 more feet the death giant could be considered huge as the cloud giant is 18 ft tall.

Also a MM III question why were the yugoloths neutered? The most powerful, the ultroloth is a CR 13. While balors and pit fiends come in at CR 20. Also the mental ability comparison is very different. Balor int 24 wis 24 cha 26, pit fiend int 26 wis 26 cha 26, ultroloth int 16 wis 15 cha 19. Please, please Eric Mona and James Jacobs fix this horrible error in the Fiendish Codex! If you do, you will have a Dragon/Dungeon suscriber for life!

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
you know what... i have no idea. ;)

either those numbers were a mistake, or making them Huge instead of Large was the mistake.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
ask WotC? seriously, bring it up on their Monster boards or something - you may not get a designer's reply, but maybe someone could point you to some errata or a clue as to why it was done that way.

to me it just looks like a mistake, so i really can't tell you any more than that. ;)

Ashardalon

First Post
It's possibly for the same reason that a minotaur is Large, not Medium.

Weight figures are extremely buggy in the monster entries. Compare the frost giant weight to the fire giant weight! Odds are, the death giant was supposed to weigh alot more, and was pushed to the next higher size category for being extremely massive.
It may, of course, also be a side effect of their special ability.

As for the yugoloths... who knows?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Oh, don't get me started on the MMIII... :uhoh:

The yugoloth "nerfing" has been a sore spot for many fans of past editions. The ultroloth is simply sad in its current state.

As for the death giant...I dunno. It bugs me that they keep making Large size giants...there aren't enough truly gigantic giants. :(

Baramay

First Post
Thanks everyone. I prefer to try to get ideas from this board rather than try wizards. I only go on their Greyhawk messageboards. I am just going to make them 18' tall, unless someone comes forward with an errata.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads