MM monster stats not making any sense

ki11erDM

Explorer
Yep. Correct. Guidelines.

Nice to see someone who designs cool monsters for a living poke there head in hear and talk about this. This has really been driving me nutz as I am making a few monsters for my upcoming campaign.
Can you answer a few questions for me?
Do you think ‘randomizing’ all the defenses by a few points would is a ‘good thing’? Basically if you follow the DMG the players will know within a point or so what EVERY monster they face has for stats. Do you think that is a problem?
Do you have your own list of ‘this type of effect attacks this defense, always’ or do you make that decision based on each creature?

Any incite is always useful : )

cdrcjsn

First Post
Do you think ‘randomizing’ all the defenses by a few points would is a ‘good thing’? Basically if you follow the DMG the players will know within a point or so what EVERY monster they face has for stats. Do you think that is a problem?

To what purpose? Even if they know that the monster's exact AC is 21, they can't really do anything about it.

Knowing that generally a monster's will is lower than it's fort is useful, but knowing the exact number won't really help much.

It might've been an issue in 3e, where knowing the foe's AC will allow you to calculate power attack for optimal damage, but you don't have to deal with that in 4e.

Basically, randomizing defenses for a random monster is too much effort for too little gain.

If the monster was unique and had a back story however...feel free.

Keenath

Explorer
I'm not the designer, obviously, but -- I think it's fine and yes, desirable, to modify the 'standard' stats to fit the monster's concept. A monster that's probably slow but tough-skinned gets a little more AC and a little less reflex. A fast, small monster boosts his reflex and drops his fortitude. That's all good. I wouldn't go much over 2 or 3 points, though, so as not to break the system.
Frankly, you could easily add a couple points without deducting any elsewhere, and nothing would break. It's not a big deal.
Any incite is always useful
Insight is a noun that means "ability to see into a situation" or "understanding of the nature". Incite is a verb that means "to spur to action". You have insight into a rule; you incite a riot.

The guidelines in the DMG are just that--guidelines, not absolute 100% concrete laws. If you look at the math I posted previously, you'll see both of your examples are within 2 points of the DMG values, and in both cases an increase in one score is balanced by a deficit somewhere else.

This is exactly it. The DMG guidelines are actually pretty weak in a lot of ways, and mindlessly following them will lead one into error. The idea is for the DMG to give a quick baseline and you fiddle from that.

Remove ads