• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Modern d20 is coming... have you been to the new site?

Yuan-Ti

First Post
Just a couple of comments after reading what WotC has posted at their new Modern d20 site...

It sounds like they have a cool idea for how to approach the class system, which will be possibly even more flexible than the CoC d20 system (is that possible?). Anyway, I like the approach, and I am confident that the game is in the good hands of Slavicsek (co-creator of Alternity).

About this Department-7 thing, though... Lordy, I hope they don't overdo that in the main rulebook. In my opinion, one of the mistakes of Spycraft was the whole department angle (in place of races) which actually acts to limit the imagination of the GM. Probably a lot of people jettisoned it for their own campaigns. Anyway, D-7 does not seem to be the same thing, but still, I don't want the game overly-focused on some preconceived campaign setting.

And the slap-happy "this system will do ANYTHING you want it to!" really got on my nerves by the end. Especially because the few details we get seem to suggest they have one thing in mind, not providing a comprehensive set of rules to do ANYTHING. Personally, I would prefer a core rulebook for realistic modern-type campaigns and then a series of splatbooks (kind of like Alternity): occult powers, sci-fi, cyberpunk, WW2, etc.

As my emphasis indicates, I am especially worried about realism and the current WotC definition of that... we already have DragonStar, Fading Suns, CoC, Spycraft (fun but not hyper-realistic), upcoming western d20 from Citizen Games, etc., so what we really need is a core "this is how modern reality works" ruleset.

What are other people's thoughts?

Psion

Adventurer
Yes I have been there, and it confirms what I feared: Shadowchasers is a good representation of it.

I really DO NOT like the "[ability-score]-hero" classes. Very bland, defeats the purpose of a classed system.

tsadkiel

Legend
Psion said:

I really DO NOT like the "[ability-score]-hero" classes. Very bland, defeats the purpose of a classed system.

When I first read the Shadowchasers stuff, I agreed. but the classes have really grown on me recently - they're very adaptable to a variety of settings. I'm using d20 Modern stuff as the basis for my Oz campaign now, for instance.

Thanks to my kewl playtesting powerz, I've seen much of the d20 Modern stuff, and they've fixed all the problems I had with Shadowchasers. I'm looking forward to the book.

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Yuan-Ti said:

What are other people's thoughts?

Salutations,

I am still not sure, but I am less excited after reading this over.

The sniplets in Dungeon have not been putting modern d20 in a good light, and I really don't see why I want to pay for GURPS d20.

A game that tries to be everything for everyone is bound to fail (for me, anyway).

The art is turning me off as well- especially the cover.. I am getting Shadowrun flashbacks.

FD

Henry

Autoexreginated
tsadkiel said:
When I first read the Shadowchasers stuff, I agreed. but the classes have really grown on me recently - they're very adaptable to a variety of settings. I'm using d20 Modern stuff as the basis for my Oz campaign now, for instance.

*Henry raises hand gingerly*

I hate to ask, but I have to know:

Do you mean "Toto, we have to follow the Yellow Brick Road to find our way home" Oz, or

do you mean the HBO prison series, Oz?

Either one would give me unsettling chills to play in - and for totally different reasons.

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Seems to me they are doing a "class-classless" system. A "class" typically denotes a group of people (such as wizards in D&D), however the "classes" in D20 Modern are pretty generic, pretty much a classless approach and feats are used to differentiate between characters of the same class make up....

jaults

First Post
    Based on the preview, I am looking froward to it... I like the stuff I've seen thus far. Spycraft is a beautiful thing, but d20M looks like it can be used for anything...

Jason

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads