• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Modern d20 is coming... have you been to the new site?

tsadkiel

Legend
Henry said:

*Henry raises hand gingerly*

I hate to ask, but I have to know:

Do you mean "Toto, we have to follow the Yellow Brick Road to find our way home" Oz, or

do you mean the HBO prison series, Oz?

Either one would give me unsettling chills to play in - and for totally different reasons.

Oz as in "Follow the Yellow Brick Road." Though I suppose you could use d20 Modern for a prison game as well.

Jim DelRosso

First Post
So, does anyone know if they're using the VP/WP as in Shadowchasers, or switching back to HP? I was a little thrown by seeing HP in the Charismatic Hero write-up, but then the mentioned that the Tough Hero has "increased vitality"...

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
As for VP/WP or HP, I get the impression they are going to give both as options. That way you can use which is better for you. Granted I could be totally off.

VorpalBunny

Explorer
I remember reading a post from Rich Redman over on the Wizards boards that said they'll be using one or the other (hp vs. VP/WP), but for the time being they are not allowed to say which.

Based on what we've seen so far, my money's on the vitality/wound mechanic...

nsruf

First Post
Yuan-Ti said:
It sounds like they have a cool idea...

It would be easier to believe that it is cool if they didn't keep repeating how cool it was all the time;)

About this Department-7 thing, though... Lordy, I hope they don't overdo that in the main rulebook.

Exactly. I am hoping for generic modern rules, so please - not too much setting!

...so what we really need is a core "this is how modern reality works" ruleset.

What are other people's thoughts?

I think Cthulhu minus the supernatural stuff could serve as a pretty generic, gritty, modern system. You could even keep the sanity mechanic for campaigns focusing on war, disaster, etc. Too bad the core rules are not OGC, though.

I hope "Modern" will not be too cinematic (like Spycraft seems to be) or at least includes options for various levels of realism.

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
bolen said:
Is this not GURPS D20 ?

No, it's D20 Modern, haven't you been listening? Must be all the TV, rots kids brains...

I could do without the Department-7 stuff. They said it themselves; since it's modern there is literally campaign fodder everywhere. So why waste space giving us a setting that we've all seen before? Unless you've been in a cave for the past century, you should have the secret organization thing down pat.

Still, I'm really looking forward to it and I think the art looks great. I hope they cover a lot of firearms too.
If they do this right, you could run campaigns based on anything from Buffy, X-Files and Kolchak, to Street Fighter, Final Fantasy or Grand Theft Auto 3. :)

Last edited:

Black Omega

First Post
I do believe d20 Modern will be better than Spycraft. Though that would not be too tough.:) Even so, I'm not getting good feelings about it. If you want to go classes, do it, don't give bland classes. A class system works for genre's with strong archtypes. This is perfect for fantasy, not so good for generic. Barring the book being much better than what I've seen so far, my Modern Horror game will still be Hero System.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
DUDE!

You *can* do d20 Final Fantasy!

Okay, okay, the site's not done yet, but at least you can check out High Powered FF-Tactics Stuff at Creamsteak's place. ^_^

(Oh, and if there's anything you want, e-mail me and I'll hook youse up. :))

About d20 Modern, I'm pretty excited....just for the chance to corrupt it and turn it into a Modern-Day D&D where orcs ride motorcycles through the slums and doppelgangers take over big businesses. ^_^

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads