D&D General Modrons should be terrifying

der_kluge

Adventurer
My current campaign is centered around the Rod of Seven Parts, but I don't use the stupid "rod is just a bunch of air powers" aspect that the boxed set had. Instead, it is actually a Rod of Pure Law - and once the wielder acquires 4 pieces, they have the ability to summon a modron - which, based on the other powers of the rod (and drawbacks that it incurs) the wielder will consider that to be an absolutely, phenomenal idea!

And that's where the fun really begins.

My current campaign is centered around the Rod of Seven Parts, but I don't use the stupid "rod is just a bunch of air powers" aspect that the boxed set had. Instead, it is actually a Rod of Pure Law - and once the wielder acquires 4 pieces, they have the ability to summon a modron - which, based on the other powers of the rod (and drawbacks that it incurs) the wielder will consider that to be an absolutely, phenomenal idea!

And that's where the fun really begins.
Sounds interesting.
Could the possible formation or near formation of the Rod of Seven Parts be the catalyst for the Modron March...?
Is that what you were thinking?

There really should be a life slaad to go with the death slaad.
I did this in my Spelljammer Campaign. The Life Slaad was more dangerous than the Death Slaad. I gave it the ability to implant Slaad eggs, a spore ability like Vrock, and several innate spells like Entangle, Goodberries, Grasping Vine, Shillelagh, Thornwhip, and Flame Blade. I also gave it a very dangerous ability called "Chaotic Transformation", where if you were killed by a Life Slaad your body transforms into a chaotic mass of random flora. The character cannot be raised or revived. Only True Ressurection or Wish will bring the character back to life and restore them to their original form. The character can be Reincarnated.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Somewhere in Moorcock’s body of work, he puts forth a horrific vision of the ultimate triumph of Law: a place for everything and everything in its place…forever; eternal stasis.

Automaton creatures like Modrons might view that vision as perfection.

I skimmed through the thread, and I am surprised that no one seems to have mentioned Babylon 5.

WARNING- SPOILERS. If you haven't watched B5 yet, what are you waiting for?

In the beginning of the show, we are treated to the idea that the Shadows are evil, and the Vorlons are good.

Of course, we later learn that it's slightly more complicated than that. It was more that both the Shadows and Vorlons were ... the villains, with the Shadows representing chaos and the Vorlons representing law/order.

The Vorlons appeared superficially good at first (and, well, Kosh ... poor Kosh) but they weren't. A similar dynamic could be used with Modrons. They aren't interested in helping people; they want ORDER.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I skimmed through the thread, and I am surprised that no one seems to have mentioned Babylon 5.

In the beginning of the show, we are treated to the idea that the Shadows are evil, and the Vorlons are good.

Of course, we later learn that it's slightly more complicated than that. It was more that both the Shadows and Vorlons were ... the villains, with the Shadows representing chaos and the Vorlons representing law/order.

The Vorlons appeared superficially good at first (and, well, Kosh ... poor Kosh) but they weren't. A similar dynamic could be used with Modrons. They aren't interested in helping people; they want ORDER.
ah kosh the LG of that show.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast

I have such fond memories of B5. My first real example of a working law vs. Chaos argument. Also serial storytelling for TV of course.

Remove ads