• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monks & Psionics question

Egres

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
Another thought that has occurred to me along the same lines - how does this definition of monk unarmed combat interact with the following psionic feats:

psionic weapon
greater psionic weapon
deep impact

psionic fist
greater psionic fist
unavoidable touch

The last three obviously refer to unarmed combat and natural weapons, but what about the first three? e.g. psionic weapon says

and deep impact is similar

It seems to me that the latter three feats are still useful for
a) creatures with natural weapons
b) creatures that just attacking unarmed
c) creatures that are attacking with improved unarmed combat

but that for Monks, because of their unique ability to benefit from spells or effects that are normally targetted on manufactured weapons or natural weapons the first three feats can benefit both their unarmed attacks and weapons which they choose to wield.

Is my reasoning sound here, or have I allowed a faulty assumption to creep in?

Regards,

Unarmed Strikes aren't melee weapons.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Egres said:
Unarmed Strikes aren't melee weapons.

Ah, but that is the very point of the quote from the PHB in the first post - they are treated as a manufactured weapon as well as a natural weapon for the purpose of... etc.

Egres

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
Ah, but that is the very point of the quote from the PHB in the first post - they are treated as a manufactured weapon as well as a natural weapon for the purpose of... etc.
Manufactured and/or Natural, but not melee weapons.

From the PHB Glossary:

melee weapon

A handheld weapon designed for close combat.

Lasher Dragon

First Post
Are there not really only 2 kinds of weapons? They are either natural, or they have been manufactured - a melee weapon would be one or the other. Oh I suppose there's improvised weapons, but that's not in the discussion.

Egres

First Post
Lasher Dragon said:
Are there not really only 2 kinds of weapons? They are either natural, or they have been manufactured - a melee weapon would be one or the other. Oh I suppose there's improvised weapons, but that's not in the discussion.
No.

Actually, Unarmed Strikes are listed as simple weapons, but if you look at the table carefully you'll find that they aren't melee weapons.

Lasher Dragon

First Post
I think you are reading too much into the "melee weapon" thing. There are melee weapons, ranged weapons, and grenade-like weapons. An unarmed strike is a melee weapon - ie you use them in melee combat.

Egres

First Post
Lasher Dragon said:
I think you are reading too much into the "melee weapon" thing. There are melee weapons, ranged weapons, and grenade-like weapons. An unarmed strike is a melee weapon - ie you use them in melee combat.
Read once again the PHB Glossary.

Read once again the Weapon table.

Try then to quote RAW that can support your point of view and I'll be glad to agree with you.

Lasher Dragon

First Post
WEAPON CATEGORIES
Weapons are grouped into several interlocking sets of categories.
These categories pertain to what training is needed to become proficient in a weapon’s use (simple, martial, or exotic), the weapon’s usefulness either in close combat (melee) or at a distance (ranged, which includes both thrown and projectile weapons), its relative encumbrance (light, one-handed, or two-handed), and its size (Small, Medium, or Large).

See, within weapons there are multiple categories - interlocking as it says - and melee is just a category other than ranged. So, common sense says, if it is not a ranged weapon, it is a melee weapon.

Remove ads