• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monks & Psionics question

Egres

First Post
But you can see just like me that Unarmed Strikes aren't listed as melee weapons.

Don't you wonder why?

They aren't handheld weapons.

They aren't listed as melee weapons.

They aren't melee weapons.

Lasher Dragon

First Post
Egres said:
But you can see just like me that Unarmed Strikes aren't listed as melee weapons.

Don't you wonder why?

They aren't handheld weapons.

They aren't listed as melee weapons.

They aren't melee weapons.

No, they aren't handheld weapons
Yes, they are listed as melee weapons -
Light, One-Handed, and Two-Handed Melee Weapons: This designation is a measure of how much effort it takes to wield a weapon in combat. It indicates whether a melee weapon, when wielded by a character of the weapon’s size category, is considered a light weapon, a one-handed weapon, or a two-handed weapon.
Light: A light weapon is easier to use in one’s off hand than a one-handed weapon is, and it can be used while grappling. A light weapon is used in one hand. Add the wielder’s Strength bonus (if any) to damage rolls for melee attacks with a light weapon if it’s used in the primary hand, or one-half the wielder’s Strength bonus if it’s used in the off hand. Using two hands to wield a light weapon gives no advantage on damage; the Strength bonus applies as though the weapon were held in the wielder’s primary hand only.
An unarmed strike is always considered a light weapon.

Egres

First Post
Lasher Dragon said:
No, they aren't handheld weapons
Yes, they are listed as melee weapons -
1) Nowhere you did quote a part where the PHB states that they are melee weapons.

They are considered light weapons, but not light melee weapons.

Read the table again.

2) If they aren't handheld weapons they can't be melee weapons.

RigaMortus

Explorer
So if a Monk had Greater Psionic Fist and Greater Psionic Weapon, he could do some impressive damage...

Drop his focus for GPF, Psionic Meditation to get his focus back as a Move-Equiv, drop it again for GPW. +8d6 to his damage... wow...

Of course what level would he have to be to pull this off?

If he went into Fist of Zuoken he could get the Hustle power and pull this off every round, or do it every other round but get his full attack progression.

Lasher Dragon

First Post
That entire paragraph is a list of MELEE weapons.

I can't make it any clearer. A weapon is either manufactured or natural. A weapon is either melee AND/OR ranged. A weapon can be simple, martial, or exotic. The only oddballs in there somewhere are grenadelike weapons (which would be a sub-category of ranged I believe) and improvised weapons (which I assume could be manufactured - a chair - or natural - a rock).

Egres

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Egres, you're wrong. Face it.

An unarmed strike is a weapon. It even appears in the table of weapons, here:

http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/v35/Equipment.rtf

It's on table "Weapons," under "Simple Weapons," under "Unarmed Attacks."

It is on the same table as a sword or an axe.

An unarmed strike *is* a weapon, and a melee weapon at that.
Patryn ,I'm not wrong, face that.
An Unarmed Strike is listed as a simple weapon, but not a melee one.

Lasher Dragon

First Post
A monk with all the above listed enhancements to his unarmed strike, using it as a ranged weapon - wow, now that would be cool hehehe

Fluury of blows with a range increment of even 20 feet LOL I can see the DM cringing now

Remove ads