• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monks & Psionics question

Egres

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
So, how far away from / close to someone do I have to be in order to hit them with an Unarmed Strike?
Patryn, you are mixing up a melee attack made with an Unarmed Strike with a melee weapon.

Kindly read the PHB Glossary and you'll agree with me.

I'm not challenging you: just try.

RigaMortus

Explorer
Egres said:
Patryn, you are mixing up a melee attack made with an Unarmed Strike with a melee weapon.

Kindly read the PHB Glossary and you'll agree with me.

I'm not challenging you: just try.

Are you proposing that Unarmed Strikes are not melee weapons, but you can still make melee attacks with them. As strange as it sounds, I think you're right. That would mean though, you could not use an Unarmed Strike when a melee weapon is required (as it may apply to spells, feats, or class abilities). Although I can not seem to find any instance where this applies (I am sure they are out there). For example, if Smite Evil required a melee weapon, you could not use Unarmed Strike. As it stands, it requires a melee attack, so it is a non-issue.

Unarmed Strikes are simple weapons.
Unarmed Strikes are unarmed attacks.
Unarmed Strikes are Light Weapons.
Unarmed Strikes are melee attacks.
Unarmed Strikes are NOT melee weapons.

So, they're simple weapons that can only be used as a melee attack, but are not actually melee weapons?

OK ...

Reading through the lit., I'll buy that for a nickel. It's a fine distinction, but it's a game of fine distinctions, eh?

So what does it get us?

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Is there any other place in any of the books that mention 'manufactured weapons'? If a spell only affects 'melee weapons', it wouldn't work with a Monk's attack because it only counts as a manufactured weapon and a melee weapon? So the fact that a Monk's unarmed strike is a manufactured weapon is worthless?

I don't think I buy that.

Lasher Dragon

First Post
<~~~ Not buying it. As far as I am concerned, an unarmed strike is a melee weapon.

melee = a. Confused, hand-to-hand fighting in a pitched battle.

b. A violent free-for-all.

weapon = a. An instrument of attack or defense in combat, as a gun, missile, or sword.

b. (Zoology) A part or organ, such as a claw or stinger, used by an animal in attack or defense.

c. A means used to defend against or defeat another

Egres

First Post
Lasher Dragon said:
<~~~ Not buying it. As far as I am concerned, an unarmed strike is a melee weapon.

melee = a. Confused, hand-to-hand fighting in a pitched battle.

b. A violent free-for-all.

weapon = a. An instrument of attack or defense in combat, as a gun, missile, or sword.

b. (Zoology) A part or organ, such as a claw or stinger, used by an animal in attack or defense.

c. A means used to defend against or defeat another
You are mixing up real life definitions with D&D defintions.

This isn't the first time you'll find big differencies between them.

Lasher Dragon

First Post
I realize that these are real-world definitions. I have exhausted all RAW quotes I can find, and they all (as far as I am concerned) point to an unarmed strike being a melee weapon. I hoped perhaps real world etiology might shed some more light on exactly what is a melee weapon. It matters not to me, I say unarmed strikes are melee weapons, you say they aren't and you are sticking to your guns. Good for you.

RigaMortus

Explorer
Jdvn1 said:
Is there any other place in any of the books that mention 'manufactured weapons'?

I am sure there is, but I can't seem to find any atm.

Jdvn1 said:
If a spell only affects 'melee weapons', it wouldn't work with a Monk's attack because it only counts as a manufactured weapon and a melee weapon?

A melee weapon can be "manufactured" or "natural". A Monk's unarmed strike (or anyone's unarmed strike for that matter) would be considered a natural weapon. So if a spell affected "melee weapons" I think it would affect both.

Jdvn1 said:
So the fact that a Monk's unarmed strike is a manufactured weapon is worthless?

A Monk's unarmed strike is NOT a manufactured weapon. It is a natural weapon. I am not sure why you are suggesting it is worthless though. Care to explain?

Jdvn1 said:
I don't think I buy that.

That is why there is a Rule 0.

Remove ads