D&D 5E Monster Manual Expanded II Second Edition News and Updates

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I see the classic version of the Monster Manual Expanded II, but it seems like only the Fantasy Grounds version of Monster Manual Expanded I seems to be available and the non-Fantasy Ground version of the MME1 classic isn't anywhere to be seen on the DMguilds/Drivethru rpg.
Did you try the first link in Nixlord's signature? Or are you looking for a separate entry for the classic version?

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
Monster Manual Expanded II 2nd Edition Art Preview #2. The grungs finally get some representation! These are the hunter, sovereign, and shaman.

Grungs.png

dave2008

Legend
@Nixlord I just download the latest version of the MME which I believe you said was the final version. I held buying this previously primarily because of the lack of new art. Now that I have it I am really enjoying and love what you have down with most of the monsters.

However, I also rediscovered the other reason I didn't purchase earlier: Dragons. While almost all other monsters got interesting upgrade versions, the dragons in this book just have 2 extra age categories and they follow the same rather boring, uninspired, and oddly repetitive format as the MM. This is in stark contrast to what you did with giants. Each giant get to new and upgraded stat blocks that are much more interesting than the ones in the MM. Any thought or chance of taking another pass at dragons?

In truth I don't really need it myself as I have already made my own versions of the chromatics (though there a bit to complex I am loath to simply them, but I really should) but I always like to see someone else's take on my favorite fantastic beasts.

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
@Nixlord I just download the latest version of the MME which I believe you said was the final version. I held buying this previously primarily because of the lack of new art. Now that I have it I am really enjoying and love what you have down with most of the monsters.

However, I also rediscovered the other reason I didn't purchase earlier: Dragons. While almost all other monsters got interesting upgrade versions, the dragons in this book just have 2 extra age categories and they follow the same rather boring, uninspired, and oddly repetitive format as the MM. This is in stark contrast to what you did with giants. Each giant get to new and upgraded stat blocks that are much more interesting than the ones in the MM. Any thought or chance of taking another pass at dragons?

In truth I don't really need it myself as I have already made my own versions of the chromatics (though there a bit to complex I am loath to simply them, but I really should) but I always like to see someone else's take on my favorite fantastic beasts.

[/spoiler]

For the giants (or any of the humanoids, etc.), I could easily make new features because I was creating new archetypes/subclasses.

I was very limited with what I can do with the dragons because I wasn't really making new archetypes or versions. I was just inserting/creating different age groups. My goal here was to just have DM more options regarding choosing the difficulty/CR of that type of dragon. Of course, I had to keep in line with what existed in the other ages. I couldn't introduce new features if those features don't exist in the dragon's more advanced ages. It wouldn't make sense unless I was making entirely new dragons.

Hope you understand. :)

dave2008

Legend
Hope you understand. :)
I do understand; however,...
For the giants (or any of the humanoids, etc.), I could easily make new features because I was creating new archetypes/subclasses.
You could have done this for dragons too. Instead making young adult and old red dragons you could have made:
  • Adult Red Dragon Tyrant
  • Ancient Red Dragon Pyromancer
or something similar. To me that would be much, much more interesting and useful. I'm not trying to beat you down, but instead inspire you. You've done great work here, but you didn't improve one of the pillars of the game and they really need it. I think you could really improve the dragons if you release yourself from the shackles of the MM design.
My goal here was to just have DM more options regarding choosing the difficulty/CR of that type of dragon. Of course,
The problem is that anyone can do that. There is already a dragon for every CR from 2-24. The only difference the color makes is the elemental damage. If we want to keep the boring WotC design anyone can simple change the damage type and done!
I had to keep in line with what existed in the other ages. I couldn't introduce new features if those features don't exist in the dragon's more advanced ages. It wouldn't make sense unless I was making entirely new dragons.
I agree and that is why I suggested making variants of the existing age categories. I mean evening just using the spellcasting variant and making an actual stat block with spells would be an improvement IMO. But I think you could do better.

Remove ads