D&D 5E Monster Manual Expanded II Second Edition News and Updates

Just got my updated MME1 & 2 today! As gorgeous and info-packed as expected. As before, I definitely recommend them for anyone wanting lots of extra 5e monsters...
20230614_152800.jpeg

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
@Nixlord, I know you just went through this after Monsters of the Multiverse, but if the new Monster Manual does indeed use revised stat blocks, as the 2024 PHB makes it look like it will, do you intend at this time to revise the books again?

(I am not trying to drive Nix to drink, for the record. Just curious.)

Last edited:

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
@Nixlord, I know you just went through this after Monsters of the Multiverse, but if the new Monster Manual does indeed use revised stat blocks, as the 2024 PHB makes it look like it will, do you intend at this time to revise the books again?

(I am not trying to drive Nix to drink, for the record. Just curious.)

I've seen some samples of the new stat blocks. The biggest difference is the structure itself. Namely, the additional info of:
  • Initiative (placed to the right side of AC)
  • Abilities (Mod and Saves)
  • Traits (title bar for features that aren't Action types)
  • CR (Proficiency Bonus now squeezed after XP)
A restructuring like this requires a lot of tedious layout work that will eat into my time developing other projects. And, I will likely get the same pushback when I revised the MME books to 2nd edition when I matched the MotM structure. And since the new stat blocks do not render the old ones obsolete, I most probably won't do any revisions. I'm not saying I will NEVER do it, I'm just saying that I likely would not.

dave2008

Legend
I've seen some samples of the new stat blocks. The biggest difference is the structure itself. Namely, the additional info of:
  • Initiative (placed to the right side of AC)
  • Abilities (Mod and Saves)
  • Traits (title bar for features that aren't Action types)
  • CR (Proficiency Bonus now squeezed after XP)
A restructuring like this requires a lot of tedious layout work that will eat into my time developing other projects. And, I will likely get the same pushback when I revised the MME books to 2nd edition when I matched the MotM structure. And since the new stat blocks do not render the old ones obsolete, I most probably won't do any revisions. I'm not saying I will NEVER do it, I'm just saying that I likely would not.
There are things I like about the new layout, but they are not perfect. I don't think it makes much sense to change your current stock. As you noted, they work just fine as they are. You might consider the new format moving forward, but I don't think you have to even do that. In fact, it might be best to make your own format. I think that is what I am doing moving forward. Here is my current hybrid approach:

1721358136096.png

Nixlord

DM's Guild Author
Publisher
There are things I like about the new layout, but they are not perfect. I don't think it makes much sense to change your current stock. As you noted, they work just fine as they are. You might consider the new format moving forward, but I don't think you have to even do that. In fact, it might be best to make your own format. I think that is what I am doing moving forward. Here is my current hybrid approach:

View attachment 373306

Yes, I will definitely use the new format for DM's Guild titles moving forward.

I am unsure yet if I can use the new stat block format for OGL titles until we've seen the updated 2025 OGL rules.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads