Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
O is for ... Otyugh!

ot1.jpg
oy2.jpg

Faolyn

(she/her)
I love otyughs. Glad to see how they've been updated! I like the tentacle slam--creatures with grapples should be able to do something like this with grappled targets.

Question: how long does the ur-otyugh remain sluggish after it uses its Legendary Resistance? Also, you say it has the following trait, singular, but you list four traits, plural.

duneguy

Explorer
Good ones Faolyn! I updated Traits. Also I removed the While Bloodied constraint on Mental Fuzz, since it loses it as soon as it uses legendary resistance.

Legendary Resistance effects, like becoming sluggish, remain in effect until the creature takes a long rest (I've got a general rule in the Introduction to that effect).

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Legendary Resistance effects, like becoming sluggish, remain in effect until the creature takes a long rest (I've got a general rule in the Introduction to that effect).
May I suggest you make it a Short or Long Rest like the Mythic trait? It seems to me that for most encounters the distinction is irrelevant, but I just feel like a Short Rest recharge is better.

Also, how does this change to Legendary Resistance change the numbers? In the DMG, LR is worth a certain number of hit points per use, per tier. However, since your version includes a drawback (which I like), it would imagine the CR cost is different. Do you care to enlighten us?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
mmm chocolate cake lol,

so the Ur-Otyugh establishes that all Otyugh are domesticated summoned creatures with some gone feral?

Staffan

Legend
Just a heads-up on a problem with the otyugh, that the O5e version also had when first published: once it manages to stun you with a tentacle slam, it's over unless someone else can break you free. Stunned, at least in O5e, means you automatically fail Strength saves, and since you're stunned until the end of the Otyugh's next turn, you will automatically fail, and then be stunned again. The fix in O5e was to make the save Constitution-based instead.

Now, I don't know if Stunned works the same in Level Up which might make this a non-issue, but I just wanted to raise a warning flag.

May I suggest you make it a Short or Long Rest like the Mythic trait? It seems to me that for most encounters the distinction is irrelevant, but I just feel like a Short Rest recharge is better.
Depends on if you want to allow the player group to escape from an encounter, take a break, and try again. If the creature recovers on a short rest, there's no gain from doing so. If it's limited to a long rest, the players have a chance to wear the creature down (even if HP is reset to full).

Remove ads