Level Up (A5E) Monster preview thread!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
N s for.... Naga!

(the white splodge just covers up some placeholder art)

Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 10.31.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 10.31.38 PM.png

Very cool, looking forward to using this one when I get the chance. Also, there is a typo in the Guardian Naga Combat section section. Missed the 't' in bites.

Faolyn

(she/her)
These guys would make for good celestials instead of monstrosities. Especially with the idea of spirit naga as fallen guardians. Speaking of, you have a line about non-allied fiends and undead taking radiant damage. Since you're removing alignment (and naga don't have any alignment tags), you may wish to say that non-allied celestials take necrotic damage. After all, it's entirely possible that a naga was created to guard an unholy area or object. And also, why Abyssal and not Infernal?

Also, you made a redundancy. You gave it Immortal Nature (doesn't need to breathe) and Amphibious (can breathe both air and water).

Edit: I really like the art for it. It makes the naga look very supernatural.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Naga are one of my favourite ancestor spirits and thus In my head all Naga are a single strand of the multiheaded Naga-raja, a true celestial worshiped as a god. The Naga-rajah appoints one of his infinite faces to guard a site - your undying bond and immortal rejuvination certainly fit the model :)

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
I don't think I noticed this before, but I like that the COMBAT section gives details on when it would cast the spells that are detailed in the ACTIONS section. Very nice.

However, I did notice that the Mummy Lord stat block bleeds onto the Naga page. I much prefer a stat block to be contained all on one page or two pages that are open at the same time. Having to flip the page during play is never a good idea.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I don't think I noticed this before, but I like that the COMBAT section gives details on when it would cast the spells that are detailed in the ACTIONS section. Very nice.

However, I did notice that the Mummy Lord stat block bleeds onto the Naga page. I much prefer a stat block to be contained all on one page or two pages that are open at the same time. Having to flip the page during play is never a good idea.
Absolutely agreed. The bigger the stat-block, the more we need it to fit on a page, as annoying as that is for designers.

Stalker0

Legend
I really want to see the rest of that Mummy Lord! The ML is THE most disappointing monster in O5e....I have used it twice to hilariously inept results. So really hoping you gave this one some juice worthy of its CR.

Remove ads