Level Up (A5E) Monster preview thread!

Kozos

Explorer
@Morrus hey can you confirm that the death knight is indeed not supposed to get multiattack and can attack only once per round (+1 as a bonus action) thanks.

duneguy

Explorer
Yes, the dread knight should get a 2-attack multiattack (+1 as a bonus action)! Nice catch. It may not matter much because the dread knight will probably spend its first 3 turns using a special 1/day move and attacking with its sword as a bonus action, but if the fight drags out to round 4, it is much better off with a third attack.

The current, updated version of Dread Knight has multiattack and also has some other minor changes: for instance, instead of Queen Cir, the variant is named Dread Knight Champion, with Queen Cir and her bio listed as an example, prototypical champion. That's to emphasize that the DM/Narrator is quite likely to have their own campaign world ideas. We'd like to give you a menu and not tell you what to order.

As for Dread Pirate: I of course have one statted up, but it didn't quite make it into the overstuffed NPC section (90 NPC stat block and variants). If Morrus lets me do a MoMe 2, it's in.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
E is for Ettin!

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 11.33.22 AM.png

Faolyn

(she/her)
I feel sorry for the head on the right. It's probably always getting hair in its mouth.

(I think that axe whirl should be 1/rest or 1 (recharge 6).)

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
I love the more neutral takes on monsters in A5e. This version could be a fun NPC with no moral qualms about what it might do when the PCs walk away if the heads were relatively good-natured, or it could be a serious threat if one or both heads were malicious.

Remove ads