Level Up (A5E) Monster preview thread!

dave2008

Legend
Depends on if you want to allow the player group to escape from an encounter, take a break, and try again. If the creature recovers on a short rest, there's no gain from doing so. If it's limited to a long rest, the players have a chance to wear the creature down (even if HP is reset to full).
Sure, but that is the type of thing I generally don't want. Thus, my suggestion to make it a Short Rest.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
P is for ... Purple Worm!

Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 10.34.13 PM.png

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Kind of odd that it has so many saving throw proficiencies.
Yeah, especially Int and Cha saves, which are a bit incongruous for a mindless worm (Wis I can accept due to tremorsense*)

its a bit boring, though having them encountered with Grimlocks wranglers could be fun

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I'd love some kind of body slam attack where it moves the front of its body back and forth and hits everyone in an X ft. radius or something.....
Yes, bodyslam would be cool, also since their mouths are 5’ wide when they burst up from the ground I’d also apply the knock prone (sand cascade) ability to purple worms too. A variant acid/poison spray would also be nice…

dave2008

Legend
Yeah, especially Int and Cha saves, which are a bit incongruous for a mindless worm (Wis I can accept due to tremorsense*)

its a bit boring, though having them encountered with Grimlocks wranglers could be fun
Well, the DMG does recommend putting saving throws in areas to shore up a monster's weaknesses

Last edited:

Remove ads