Level Up (A5E) Monster preview thread!

Faolyn

(she/her)
There are some monsters that have plurals here and others that are singular (ropers and remorhazes, right next to revenant). Are you indicating that there are multiple types of these, or is this a typo?

Only three gemstone dragons and three essence dragons? No more crystal, blight, celestial, chaos, sea, spirit, or underworld dragonborn?

Why do grimlocks get a Legends and Lore section in the ToC when no other creature has that? Is this a typo?

No wererats? <snif>

I'm guessing "malcubus" is the term for incubi/succubi. And I'm kind of surprised that scarecrows aren't a type of guardian.

Fomorians are a type of titan now? Interesting! Are they "fallen" titans? Or something else?

Can I hope that horde demons are a version of hordelings? I miss those guys.

I'm assuming that invisible stalkers are elementals in the vein of azer and xorn. So why no water weird?

Also... adamantacore? boooo.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There are some monsters that have plurals here and others that are singular (ropers and remorhazes, right next to revenant). Are you indicating that there are multiple types of these, or is this a typo?
Anything plural has sub-entries. Same way O5E denotes it.

Why do grimlocks get a Legends and Lore section in the ToC when no other creature has that? Is this a typo?

It is. All creatures have a L&L entry, but we're not putting that in the ToC!

dave2008

Legend
Yikes, I just looked at the page count and I am guessing this is going to be another 500+/- page book! That is a lot of monster goodness.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
R is for.... Rakshasa!

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 6.38.22 PM.png

Faolyn

(she/her)
Yay! You brought back rakshasa that aren't just tigers! I missed you, non-tiger rakshasa! (Anyone else remember the Dragon Mag article on them, which featured adventurers getting menaced by an orangutan rakshasa?)

Wait, it's got wererat minions? I guess those were just accidentally omitted from your ToC then. Good. I like wererats.

Is the curse (from its claws) automatic? Because there's no save attached. I would imagine that remove curse would end the curse, but it doesn't say.

Darkwynters

Explorer
Since Morris dropped the Table of Contents, I do not have to check the O5e Monster Manual… so there is a lot of “S” monsters. Scarecrow? Scorpion-folk? Never heard of them lol… Sea serpent

dave2008

Legend
Since Morris dropped the Table of Contents, I do not have to check the O5e Monster Manual… so there is a lot of “S” monsters. Scarecrow? Scorpion-folk? Never heard of them lol… Sea serpent
maybe a replacement for Thri-Kreen, which I am guessing are not OGL.

Remove ads