Monster Request Thread!!!

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Here is my winterwight revision.

My question is did I screw it up somehow? Or is this all correct according to the Krusty universe.

And can someone make it a template???

Winterwight
Medium Undead (Cold)
Hit Dice: 32d12 (224 hp)
Initiative: +12 (+8 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 60 ft.
Armor Class: 47 (+8 Dex, +29 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +16/+37
Attack: Claw +40 melee (1d8+21/19–20 (+1d6 on critical hit) plus blight-fire)
Full Attack: 2 claws +40 melee (1d8+21/19–20 (+1d6 on critical hit) plus blight-fire) melee, skull butt +32 melee (1d8+10 plus blightfire)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Blightfire, rend 2d8+31, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Cold aura, damage reduction 15/–, spell resistance 42, undead traits, virtual size categories 2
Skills: Jump +21, Intimidate +44, Knowledge (religion) +35, Listen +43, Spot +43
Feats: Cleave, Improved Critical (claw), Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (claw)
Epic Feats: Overwhelming Critical (claw), Blinding Speed, Epic Fortitude, Epic Weapon Focus (claw)
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +18, Will +24
Abilities: Str 52, Dex 27, Con —, Int 10, Wis 22, Cha 28
Climate/Terrain: Any
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: 23
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 33–64 HD (Medium), 65-96 HD (Large)

Winterwights speak Common and Infernal.

Combat

A winterwight’s natural weapons are treated as epic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Blightfire (Su): If the winterwight deals damage to a living opponent, a night-black flame begins to consume the opponent’s body. If the opponent fails a Fortitude save (DC 35), it takes 3 points of permanent Constitution drain. The opponent must continue to save every round for the next 4 rounds (5 rounds total) to avoid being permanently drained of an additional 3 points of Constitution per round. The creature regains 5 lost hit points whenever it drains 1 point of Constitution, gaining any excess hit points as temporary hit points. These temporary hit points last a maximum of 1 hour. If the opponent is slain by blightfire, only icy fragments of the victim remain. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Cold Aura (Su): The winterwight is surrounded by a 15-foot-radius spread cold aura. All creatures of the cold sub-type in the field (including the winterwight) are treated as if having turn resistance +6 (if undead) and fast healing 15. Creatures subject to cold Damage take 3d10 points of cold damage each round they remain within the cold aura.

Rend (Ex): If the winterwight hits with both of its claws, it latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an additional 2d8+31 points of Damage.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will—cone of cold, control weather, dimension door, spell immunity (fireball), sleet storm (a winterwight is immune to the effects of a sleet storm spell), wall of ice. Caster level 32nd. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Undead Traits: Immune to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, death, effects, necromantic effects, mind-affecting effects, and any effect requiring a Fortitude save unless it also works on objects. Not subject to critical hits, subdual Damage, ability Damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Negative energy heals. Not at risk of death from massive Damage, but destroyed at 0 hit points or less. Darkvision 60 ft. Cannot be raised; resurrection works only if creature is willing.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
I have an official request from one of my fellow gamers.

They need a template that turns a human into a True Dragon of a size category equal to their character level. Example....10th level character becomes size Huge, 17th becomes size Gargantuan.

The following types are needed: variable (air, earth, fire, or water).

The following breath weapon is needed: (chosen by the base humanoid upon the application of this template ...air (electricity), earth (acid), fire (fire), water (cold)).

The spell-like abilities need to be variable and dependent upon the base humanoid's character level. The humanoid needs to be able to choose them.

Integrated Class Features are completely unnecessary as the character will retain all their previous class levels.

Ability modifiers are a must. Equivalent to a true dragon whose age category would match the humanoid's character level (base hit dice of 8).

They need the Improved (or is it increased) damage ability that fang dragons have.

The ability to regenerate like a tarrasque.

And some sort of ability to fire off their blade-like scales like quills. With some sort of paralytic poison.

They also need the abilities typical to all true dragons.

And they need immunity to their own breath weapon.

Is anyone able to or willing to attempt this? Im at a loss.

Hi dante mate! :)

You know I am not sure the idea of a monster request thread is a tad cheeky or not.

dante58701 said:
I have an official request from one of my fellow gamers.

They need a template that turns a human into a True Dragon of a size category equal to their character level. Example....10th level character becomes size Huge, 17th becomes size Gargantuan.

How about Shapechange the spell.

Or just let the PC play a dragon! :p

The following types are needed: variable (air, earth, fire, or water).

The following breath weapon is needed: (chosen by the base humanoid upon the application of this template ...air (electricity), earth (acid), fire (fire), water (cold)).

The spell-like abilities need to be variable and dependent upon the base humanoid's character level. The humanoid needs to be able to choose them.

Integrated Class Features are completely unnecessary as the character will retain all their previous class levels.

Ability modifiers are a must. Equivalent to a true dragon whose age category would match the humanoid's character level (base hit dice of 8).

They need the Improved (or is it increased) damage ability that fang dragons have.

The ability to regenerate like a tarrasque.

And some sort of ability to fire off their blade-like scales like quills. With some sort of paralytic poison.

They also need the abilities typical to all true dragons.

And they need immunity to their own breath weapon.

Is anyone able to or willing to attempt this? Im at a loss.

I fail to see what bit is confusing you? You laid out all the powers you wanted above.

I think the main stumbling block is going to be the idea of balancing the PC level with the Dragon Hit Dice.

Basically that means you need a template for every level and every dragon type. Thats called a class.

In effect, what you need is Savage Species or the Dragon magazine articles that give Savage Species treatment to dragons.

Just swop the dragons innate arcane caster levels with the PCs original class progression then add improved natural attack (bite), poison quills and regen (equal to 1/2 HD rounded down to multiples of 5).

I have a question regarding the Swallow Whole special attack's design guidelines: how exactly is the damage required to hack yourself out, the bludgeoning damage, and the acid damage calculated? The gizzard AC's not that hard to figure out since it's already listed down as [10 + 1/2 Natural Armor Bonus].

For example, let's say I wanted to make three versions of a tyrannosaurus: a behemoth, a macrobe, and a double-macrobe. The regular tyrannosaurus' Swallow Whole attack does 2d8+8 bludgeoning damage and 8 acid damage, and requires 25 damage to the gizzard to get out of it. The dire tyrannosaurus' (from the Epic Bestiary Volume One) Swallow Whole attack does 2d6+7 bludgeoning damage and 2d6+3 bludgeoning damage, and requires 43 damage to the stomach to escape it. How was this new damage output and stomach hp calculated? I can see that the 2d6 comes from the damage table's entry for digesting damage, but I don't see where the +7, +3, and 43 hp comes from.

Also, what damage column should I use for a floating, self-propelling sphere that rams itself into its opponents in the air (not necessarily crushing them since it'll likely be the same size category as them, and it'll slam itself in a path parallel to the ground)? Crush, stomp, slam + 1 size category, slam + 2 size categories, slam + 3 size categories, or slam + 4 size categories?

Edit: I just realized that there's really no reason why th tyrannosaurus should have 18 HD, since it's only 6 tons heavy and 30 feet long from nose to tail using the MM dimensions. It even breaks the HD maximum by having 18 HD as a Huge-sized animal. Should it the HD be brought down, or should the dimensions be fixed to accomodate the 18 HD?

Last edited:

Hey there Adslahnit! :)

Adslahnit said:
I have a question regarding the Swallow Whole special attack's design guidelines: how exactly is the damage required to hack yourself out, the bludgeoning damage, and the acid damage calculated? The gizzard AC's not that hard to figure out since it's already listed down as [10 + 1/2 Natural Armor Bonus].

For example, let's say I wanted to make three versions of a tyrannosaurus: a behemoth, a macrobe, and a double-macrobe. The regular tyrannosaurus' Swallow Whole attack does 2d8+8 bludgeoning damage and 8 acid damage, and requires 25 damage to the gizzard to get out of it. The dire tyrannosaurus' (from the Epic Bestiary Volume One) Swallow Whole attack does 2d6+7 bludgeoning damage and 2d6+3 bludgeoning damage, and requires 43 damage to the stomach to escape it. How was this new damage output and stomach hp calculated? I can see that the 2d6 comes from the damage table's entry for digesting damage, but I don't see where the +7, +3, and 43 hp comes from.

It probably differs silightly for individual monsters but I think (IIRC) that I used the monsters slam damage plus constitution bonus for bludgeoning and slam damage plus 1/2 constitution bonus for acid damage.

To get the hit points to free yourself, its Hit Dice + Con bonus.

Also, what damage column should I use for a floating, self-propelling sphere that rams itself into its opponents in the air (not necessarily crushing them since it'll likely be the same size category as them, and it'll slam itself in a path parallel to the ground)? Crush, stomp, slam + 1 size category, slam + 2 size categories, slam + 3 size categories, or slam + 4 size categories?

Slam +2 Categories (since a sphere is two categories bigger)

Edit: I just realized that there's really no reason why th tyrannosaurus should have 18 HD, since it's only 6 tons heavy and 30 feet long from nose to tail using the MM dimensions. It even breaks the HD maximum by having 18 HD as a Huge-sized animal. Should it the HD be brought down, or should the dimensions be fixed to accomodate the 18 HD?

If I was designing it, the T-Rex would have about 9 or 10 Hit Dice.

I kept the 18 HD in the Bestiary because I didn't want to confuse anyone.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Im still in disagreeance about HD limitations for aberrations, magical beasts, and monstrous humanoids.

A. Aberrations are aberrant. They actually defy common concepts of reality. Not to mention they tend to be made out of different stuff than normal creatures. They are definitely not natural and defy the natural laws of physics quite frequently.

B. Magical beasts, like fey, are inherently magical. With all the magical buffing spells out there, is it really that inconceivable that a magical creature would break the natural laws of physics?

C. Monstrous humanoid, admittedly are a bit iffy. But any possessing innate magical abilities are also, like fey, inherently magical.

Sure, natural limitations should apply to natural creatures. Humans, animals, vermin. But should they really be applied to everything else.

Another point of contention...outsiders.

WOTC...who I really dont like all that much. Have made outsider a slap on type for all creatures that live outside the realm of the material plane.

They have also made the various outsiders, unique true breeding races, rather than divine entities and on numerous occasions have stated that daemons, demons, devils, ect. are not divine at all, but rather corruptions of the soul, in addition to being true breeding races.

They actually make a clear cut distinction between the two.

I guess what Im getting at is this.

Can aberrations, magical beasts, monstrous humanoids, and outsiders be based upon these mechanics and still incorporate The Immortal's Handbook material, and if so...what kind of impact would that have on a campaign world and monster design?

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Wait...let me get this straight...

A sphere is 1 size category larger? So...a 6 ft. diameter sphere is size Large?

Does this apply to squares too?

dante58701 said:
Wait...let me get this straight...

A sphere is 1 size category larger? So...a 6 ft. diameter sphere is size Large?

Does this apply to squares too?

Well, the bestiary itself states:

Epic Bestiary Volume One said:
Approx. Dimension: This assumes basic humanoid proportions (100% x 30% x 15%). If either width or depth roughly equals height/length then reduce the dimensions to 2/3. If both width and depth roughly equal height/length then reduce dimensions to 1/2.

eg. An ogre (8 ft. tall x 4ft. wide x 2 ft. deep) is Large size. However, a spherical monster that was 8 ft. in diameter would be Huge size.

So yes, unless U_K has changed the rules regarding size category dimensions, a spherical creature with a 6-foot-diameter would be Large size, a 12-foot-diameter sphere would be Huge size, etc. However, I don't exactly agree with this due to the rule conflicting with the approximate weight for size categories.

Using the formula for the volume of a sphere, [(4/3) * pi * r^3], we get a volume of 905 cubic feet for a 12-foot-diameter sphere (12 feet is the average prime dimension of a creature of Large size). The Bestiary states that 1.2 grams per cubic centimeter is the standard density of a creature with average strength for its size, which converts to about 75 pounds per cubic foot. Thus, a 12-foot-diameter sphere made of organic flesh and bone would weight 67,865 pounds or 34 tons. This is within the weight range of a Gargantuan creature. Thus, a 12-foot-diameter sphere would normally be considered Gargantuan instead of large, a +2 size increase.

Let's try that again with a 96-foot-diameter sphere (96 feet is the average prime dimension of a creature of Colossal size). Using the volume for the formula of a sphere, we get a volume of 463,433 cubic feet. Multiply that by 75 pounds per cubic foot to account for flesh and bone composition and we get a mass of 34,757,475 pounds or 17,378 tons, which is within the range of a Macro-Fine creature.

The same goes for cubical creatures. A 12-foot cube of flesh and bone would have a volume of 1728 cubic feet and a mass of 129,600 pounds or 65 tons, just within the range of a Gargantuan creature. A 96-foot cube of flesh and bone would have a volume of 884,736 cubic feet and a mass of 66,335,200 pounds or 33,178 tons, within the range of a Macro-Fine creature.

From this we can see that a spherical or cubical creature is two size categories above a regularly-proportioned creature. However, should they be two size categories larger in all respects, or should they be given +2 VSCs instead? In other words, would a 96-foot-diameter sphere of flesh and bone be considered a Macro-Fine creature or a Colossal creature with +2 VSCs? Furthermore, (as was asked in my previous question), what would be the slam (parallel to the ground) and crush (against the ground) damage of this 96-foot-diameter sphere, and would the damage values change if it were a 96-foot cube instead (assume the cube is ramming using its corners or flat sides, whichever you deem to be more damaging)?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases