• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monsters as PC's

Say for instance a player was playing a monster as a PC and the monster was a CR 1. As I understand it, you would use that monster as a regular 1st level character. Just as if the player played one of the standard PC races (elf, dwarf, halfling, etc). However the CR 1 monster in this case also comes with a feat. Should that feat be considered that characters standard 1st level feat, or a bonus feat? Opinions?

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Bonehoard Taffer said:
Say for instance a player was playing a monster as a PC and the monster was a CR 1. As I understand it, you would use that monster as a regular 1st level character. Just as if the player played one of the standard PC races (elf, dwarf, halfling, etc). However the CR 1 monster in this case also comes with a feat. Should that feat be considered that characters standard 1st level feat, or a bonus feat? Opinions?

Actually CR has nothing to do with it. What you're looking for is ECL (Effective Character Level). This is used to determine what equivalent level character the monster is. For example, an ECL +1 race with a single level of any class would be equivalent to a 2nd level character.

For more information on playing a monster character, check out Soldarin's page at http://www.webspawner.com/users/soldarin/index.html

It explains most of the details on playing a monster character, including figuring their racial feats.

Last edited:

RogueJK said:

Actually CR has nothing to do with it. What you're looking for is ECL (Effective Character Level). This is used to determine what equivalent level character the monster is. For example, an ECL +1 race with a single level of any class would be equivalent to a 2nd level character.

For more information on playing a monster character, check out Soldarin's page at http://www.webspawner.com/users/soldarin/index.html

It explains most of the details on playing a monster character, including figuring their racial feats.

I figure for a 1/2 to 1 HD monster the ECL is pretty much a non issue because the ECL isn't going to be any different than that of a standard PC. Thanks though for the url.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Bonehoard Taffer said:
I figure for a 1/2 to 1 HD monster the ECL is pretty much a non issue because the ECL isn't going to be any different than that of a standard PC. Thanks though for the url.

A 1/2 HD monster?

Technically speaking, I guess they would have ECLs as per the rules, but I just can't see it factoring too much into a game unless I sent in a million of em.

The monster is going to ultimately be used as an NPC, and I can't say for sure how much others of its species we impact the campaign. Right now I have no real plans for the monster race as a whole.

AGGEMAM

First Post
On which planet have you been living the last year or so ??

ECL+ ratings is ONLY used when making PCs.

CR+ ratings is ONLY used when making NPCs.

It's two entirely different things.

Example:

A PC drow has ECL +2

A NPC drow with core class levels has CR +1

A NPC drow with NPC class levels has CR +0 (actually +½, rounded up)

Snoweel

First Post
Yeah, it's all to do with the fact that PC's have to spread the use of their abilities out through the course of an adventure, where an ability usable "at will" can be extremely unbalanced, while an NPC only appearing in one encounter might not benefit so much from an ability usable at will, especially if it's not combat related.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads