• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Monstrous Compendium Eldraine Creatures

Planeahift already is, so it might already be?

Planeshift is in a grey zone, it allowed, but not official, it's more akin to a UA.

This compendium is different, first of all Planeshift isn't on D&D Beyond, they don't charge for it, and it technically wasn't made by WotC (Wyatt and his Daughter did them on their own time).

MC: Eldraine is on D&D Beyond, it costs money so is an actual product, was made by WotC, so it's more akin to Wayfarer's Guide to Eberron which opened up Eberron to dmsguide before E: RftLW did.

With the addition of the gingerbrute and the sweettooth horror, plus the snow golems in Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden, the options for a Christmas-themed one shot have never been better!

Sweettooth Horror also being a Fiend makes it a cool Ally for Spelljammer's Fiendish Killer Space Clowns and Clownspace.

Heck you could even use flavoured Snow Golems.

For Christmas Simulcrums are also made from snow, despite appearances.

* When the boardgame "Candyland: the Eldraine edition"? At least a version for tablet and mobile videogame.

I don't like the idea of online-only publications. I would rather to collect physical books because I can enjoy these twenty or thirty years after being bought.

With the online publishing the costs of printing, storage and transportation are saved, And the updates of the rules is easier and faster. But the paper publishing shouldn't be limited for only (hatefully expensive) collector editions. Only online titles should be for "pilot episodes/ballon probes", a first step to test the reaction of the audience, or with virtual "gifts" as skins for your PC and minitaures+tokens for the VTT.

Maybe there are plans for a sourcebook about Eldraine, but it will be after the revised core books, or maybe for the final part of the metaplot event.

* How would be a videogame where the player is the owner of a tavern, and any magic recipes could create food monsters?

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Wait. Does this mean there will be an Eldraine book?
Was there a Minecraft tie-in book?

I assume all their comments in the document about how to repurpose these Eldraine creatures for a Feywild or Giants campaign are their tie-ins.

For the planeshift comments -- it should be noted that each Magic setting that got a big coffee-table book and a planeshift article has a rough equivalent in D&D -- Zendikar to D&D in general, Innistrad to Ravenloft/Shadowfell, Kaladesh to Eberron, Amonkhet to Dark Sun, Ixalan to Chult (even was launched around same time as Tomb of Annihilation season), Dominaria to the core kitchensink worlds. Even Ravnica can be repurposed for Sigil (SIH-GHILL not SIH-JILL). Theros and Strixhaven don't have rough equivalents, but are both themed around extremely common D&D fantasy concepts (tons of campaigns use the Greek Gods or draw from Magical School stories).

So doing Eldraine, the rough equivalent of the Feywild, is not unsurprising. What's surprising to me most is that we didn't get it in 2019 or 2020. But glad it's finally happening here, and we don't REALLY need a setting book when there's so much MtG lore published on the Magic side of the website. It would be nice if they repackaged that as a Gazetteer though, a la Baldur's Gate just recently.

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
Was there a Minecraft tie-in book?

I assume all their comments in the document about how to repurpose these Eldraine creatures for a Feywild or Giants campaign are their tie-ins.

For the planeshift comments -- it should be noted that each Magic setting that got a big coffee-table book and a planeshift article has a rough equivalent in D&D -- Zendikar to D&D in general, Innistrad to Ravenloft/Shadowfell, Kaladesh to Eberron, Amonkhet to Dark Sun, Ixalan to Chult (even was launched around same time as Tomb of Annihilation season), Dominaria to the core kitchensink worlds. Even Ravnica can be repurposed for Sigil (SIH-GHILL not SIH-JILL). Theros and Strixhaven don't have rough equivalents, but are both themed around extremely common D&D fantasy concepts (tons of campaigns use the Greek Gods or draw from Magical School stories).

So doing Eldraine, the rough equivalent of the Feywild, is not unsurprising. What's surprising to me most is that we didn't get it in 2019 or 2020. But glad it's finally happening here, and we don't REALLY need a setting book when there's so much MtG lore published on the Magic side of the website. It would be nice if they repackaged that as a Gazetteer though, a la Baldur's Gate just recently.
There was a Minecraft D&D tie in. That time it was on the Minecraft side.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Theros and Strixhaven don't have rough equivalents, but are both themed around extremely common D&D fantasy concepts (tons of campaigns use the Greek Gods or draw from Magical School stories).

you know I cant actually think of a DnD adventure module thats set inside a Magical school, would love to get pointers towards some.

as for Eldraine, its actually the Arthurian elements that interest me as DnD lacks a proper ‘Medieval Romance’ setting. I for one would love to see more adventure modules which have PCs involved with Knightly defense of the realm, court intrigue and the enchantment of the fey haunted Wilds

Last edited:

Remove ads