• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Moon Knight - SPOILERS

MarkB

Legend
The way that Asgardians are portrayed in the MCU isn't really all that far off from how they often appear in mythology. They would frequently roam and adventure in the mortal realm, often not seeming to be on a whole other power level than those they encountered.

The Greek gods had some of that, but generally with a stronger delineation between themselves and mortals. They might choose to walk among them on occasion (mostly either to mess around with them, or just to mess with them), but there was little doubt as to their relative power levels. Demigods tended to be the ones who straddled that gap.

I'm not familiar enough with Egyptian mythology to have a sense of where they were portrayed as standing in terms of power levels. I get the impression that they were generally somewhat more remote, directing mortals more than interacting with them.

Thomas Shey

Legend
It also was extremely clear that the Asgardians were ageless but not immortal, which can be--hit or miss--with other mythologies about how their gods are handled. Its notable under the Greek model how often problematic deity level threats are imprisoned rather than killed, for example.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I'm not familiar enough with Egyptian mythology to have a sense of where they were portrayed as standing in terms of power levels. I get the impression that they were generally somewhat more remote, directing mortals more than interacting with them.
mainly through Statues and Avatars - the Pharoah being the divine avatar of Osiris. Thats the reason why Egypt had so many temples and hieroglyph cartouches (royal name tags) since the spirit of a god could manifest in a image or name. Mummies were part of the same manifestation belief. The soul of a deceased person remained immortal as long as it had a body to return to.

Its also why Egyptian gods had animal heads - those animals were their avatar in the natural world

oh and the lesser Egyptian gods did have fates (and thus lifespans) allotted to them by Thoth

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
Well, that was a hell of an episode! Can't really figure out where things will go from there in the final episode.
Rather interesting that separate personalities, of the same person, seem to be different souls in the afterlife. And we now also know that they're going with the background that Marc was 'broken' before Khonshu, not by the act of becoming The Fist of Khonshu.

Ryujin

Legend
One more episode to go - this has certainly been a different superhero journey

I did enjoy the interactions with Tawaret and the boys backstory.

and we got a Wakanda reference confirming a link between the Ancestral Plane and Duat.
Dang, I missed that. Where was it?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Dang, I missed that. Where was it?
when Tawaret explains that Steven is dead and now in Duat - “An afterlife, not the afterlife. You’d be surprised how many intersectional planes of untethered consciousness exist. Ah! Like the ancestral plane! Oh! Just gorgeous.

Remove ads