Moon Knight - SPOILERS

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
From what Hawke's character said, their Ammit is a bit of a departure from the mythological one (at least from what little I remember of my Ancient and Medieval History courses). There aren't a lot of people whose even desiccated heart will weight the same as a feather, however, taking them early doesn't give them a chance to get their balance right in the eyes of the gods. Like you say, their Ammit goes in for pre-crime, judging people before their deaths and was at odds with the other gods over this. The traditional god/demon judged at the time of death.
This show does take some liberties with the mythology (as did the Eternals and Thor movies with their source material). In the mythology, Ammit was just a monster from the Underworld, not a goddess. AFAICT, no one ever worshipped Ammit. That would be a bit like worshipping Cerberus from Greek Mythology.

The feather that the heart was weighed against was a magical feather. The Feather of Maat, or the Feather of Truth/Justice/Order.

(I'm just realizing that D&D's Giants took the word "Maat" from Egyptian mythology. That's kinda neat.)

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Yep, the feather and heart stuff was not Ammit.
Well . . . kinda. The feather and heart stuff was just general Underworld stuff, which would be connected to Anubis and Osiris. However, if your heart weighed more than the feather (indicating that you were a bad person) your soul would be eaten by Ammit.

So, Ammit wasn't in charge of measuring your heart or anything like that, but was the punishment for if you were a bad person.

Ryujin

Legend
The Feather of Ma'at, weighed by Ammit. Worshiping Ammit would have been more like worshiping Charon, from Greek Mythology, or the Grim Reaper/Incarnation of Death. So yes, as far as I know/remember there was no actual Ammit worship.

EDIT - Then again, the Egyptian pantheon changed over the centuries. Gods were merged. Others were added.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well . . . kinda. The feather and heart stuff was just general Underworld stuff, which would be connected to Anubis and Osiris. However, if your heart weighed more than the feather (indicating that you were a bad

If I recall correctly, it was Anubis who would weigh your heart against the feather of Ma'at. Ma'at was a personification of truth and justice.

For Ammit's people to come up and pre-judge you would be bypassing both Anubis and Ma'at, which doesn't sound like a good thing.

Ryujin

Legend
There was some talk in the episode about Ammit being betrayed / shunned by the other gods. So presumably the in-universe version of events will be that the mythology as commonly understood, in which Ammit isn't a proper god, is the result of revisionism by the other gods.
More likely, based on what was in the episode, that Ammit was pre-judging people and not folowing The Law, so the other gods laid a smack-down. Very few villains are not the hero of their own story.

pukunui

Legend
Some really interesting discussion going on here. I have been wondering how the MCU will handle other mythological deities, given that the Norse gods are just long-lived, superhuman aliens whose science/technology is sufficiently advanced to be indistinguishable from magic.

Remove ads