D&D 5E More Data Mined from D&D Beyond: Most Popular Spells

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I wonder if a lot of these choices are the result of randomly created characters?

Because they're very clearly the best choices, so much so that they really should be given as a core part of the class itself rather than as choices at all. There should also be a melee equivalent of EB.
Best choices for focusing on combat maybe, but hardly required to the point they must be hardwired into the class.

Stalker0

Legend
Don't know if this data really tells us much. As it states right off the bat, of course 1st level spells are going to be the most commonly picked.

If we could see spells broken down by level than it would be a lot more useful to me.

As a random anecdote, when running a game for total newbies who had full control over their own choices, I saw an Eldritch Knight who relied on Shocking Grasp for damage (at least, until she met a Shambling Mound and it’s lightning regeneration…) and a Warlock who focused on Spare the Dying as the main party healing. I’d love to see this data for other levels, ignoring level one perhaps; if Spirit Guardians and Spiritual Weapon are not the top picks for Cleric level 2 spells, we’ll know that the world is a strange and confusing one! :D

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I really love the implications that no matter how hard a class is designed specifically around one core spell (I'm looking at you, eldritch blast), people like to play different approaches based on the class's flavor. It's interesting to see people here astounded that people apparently build characters that go against the common tropes. Since the warlock is one of my two favorite 5e classes, it's heartening to see that I'm not the only one who wants to play as something other than a blast bot.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
I really love the implications that no matter how hard a class is designed specifically around one core spell (I'm looking at you, eldritch blast), people like to play different approaches based on the class's flavor. It's interesting to see people here astounded that people apparently build characters that go against the common tropes. Since the warlock is one of my two favorite 5e classes, it's heartening to see that I'm not the only one who wants to play as something other than a blast bot.

Less a trope than bad design.

Remove ads