D&D 5E More Fun With D&D In Retail

MortalPlague

Adventurer
Working in retail during Christmas can be tough. Sometimes you have to find ways to keep your focus, even during a holiday rush. So one day, I decided to try and slip as many D&D terms into my customer interactions as I could.

Here's what I managed:

transmuter
spider climb
bag of holding
scribe
genie
adamantine
tongues
carrying capacity
secret compartment
bardic instrument
sovereign glue
thieves' tools
time stop
petrified
lembas bread
wizards
mind blank
invisibility
glitterdust (too easy this time of year)
Leomund's Tiny Hut (yes, really)
Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion (?!)
power source
vorpal sword
globe of invulnerability
Otiluke's Freezing Sphere
Bigby's Hand

It certainly kept the day interesting! For those curious, I work in an electronics department where we sell everything from cell phones to cameras to microwaves.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
Given the current action economy, how many rounds per customer engagement and how many definitions per round (DPR) are you getting?
I have only one reaction per shift, so the amount of customers getting by me is higher than I'd like.

I can often get in two or three in a longer sale, though. It depends when things stray into territory when I can slip things through. Like when we're talking about taking a trip (and which camera is best for that), I can describe fantastic landscapes. Or when we're talking about protective cases and the like...

You could assign races/classes to your customers, too. Hold out for a half-orc bard!

All of my customers are either fighters or barbarians. Often both.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I'd like to know in what sentences did you slip these to :)

I believe it went something like this...

"You need a vorpal sword to get into that packaging."

(Talking about a cell phone case) "It's like a globe of invulnerability for your phone."

(Talking about noise-cancelling headphones) "Otiluke's freezing sphere could go off and you wouldn't hear it."

(Talking about a device holder) "It holds your phone kind of like a bigby's hand."

Remove ads