D&D Movie/TV More information about Honor Among Thieves

What follows is a list of snippets of recent information about the upcoming D&D movie from a range of sources across the internet. Special thanks goes to CinemaBlend and Collidor! They hired a language team for all the D&D languages that appear in the movie, including the guy that did the languages. They also have a spell casting geasture team including the guy the designed the geastures...

What follows is a list of snippets of recent information about the upcoming D&D movie from a range of sources across the internet. Special thanks goes to CinemaBlend and Collidor!

hat.jpg

• They hired a language team for all the D&D languages that appear in the movie, including the guy that did the languages.
  • They also have a spell casting geasture team including the guy the designed the geastures for Wandavision.
  • They built 120 sets for the movie.
  • Paramount has the distrubtion rights for the whole world except for Canada and the UK, Hasbro/Eone has ths distribution rights for the UK and Canada.
  • They shot an active volcano.
  • People got so caught up in the movie, folks were in tears at times.
  • It did as well among women as men during test screenings, same with none D&D fans & D&D fans.
  • Led Zepplin songs are hard to get, you can't just throw money at them, they have to like the thing enough to let you use their songs, so this movie already has Led Zepplin seal of approval.
  • The movie has a lot of Easter Eggs.
  • They used D&D Beyond & FR Wiki a lot.
  • Justin Smith was really hard core into the D&D details for his sorcerer character.
  • Jean's paladin required a lot of training and apparently gave him the best butt his ever had (his words).
  • They made the characters contempory in some ways, like some times they question why certain things are the way they are, but not in ways inappropriate to the genre and setting.
  • This movie was clearly made by D&D fans.
  • They didn't design this movie with an eye towards future movies, beyond the fact of making as amazing as possible.
  • This was inspired by ironically the MCU where the foundation was created by 3 solid self contained movies. Latcham insisted on it.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Re: $400m, if it does that, it'll likely get a sequel. If it goes over $600m as essentially a new franchise, Hollywood heads will snapping around and I think we might even see OTHER TTRPGs get movies at that point as people try to "cash in" on it. Honestly quite a few TTRPG franchises are sort of begging to have movies made of them.
Hmm. Which would those be? Many modern RPGs already are pretty explicitly aping existing franchises. (Monster of the Week and Scum & Villainy would be extremely hard to make a movie out of, since their inspirations are so deeply woven into everything they do.)

Among older RPGs, I can see Traveller, Paranoia, the World of Darkness (although the Underworld series has pretty aggressively ripped off the early 1990s flavor of it over the years), Shadowrun and Blades in the Dark all seem like good candidates for the movie treatment.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Here is the post, it's a blue check mark account. My guess is an algorithm searched youtube for all postings of the trailer, and counting each postings views. Not all views were through Paramount's English YouTube channel. It likely got posted in Chinese, Japanese, French, Spanish, etc..., just a hypothesis.
More important than the blue checkmark* is that it's the film's writer, who presumably has access to a lot of information from the studio that might be hard for amateurs to collect all together.

* I mean, I have a blue checkmark on Twitter and elsewhere, so it's not that impressive.

Hmm. Which would those be? Many modern RPGs already are pretty explicitly aping existing franchises. (Monster of the Week and Scum & Villainy would be extremely hard to make a movie out of, since their inspirations are so deeply woven into everything they do.)

Among older RPGs, I can see Traveller, Paranoia, the World of Darkness (although the Underworld series has pretty aggressively ripped off the early 1990s flavor of it over the years), Shadowrun and Blades in the Dark all seem like good candidates for the movie treatment.
I'm thinking mostly of longer-lived IPs - even modern ones which would be great to adapt are probably simply not known to anyone in Hollywood, though Blades in the Dark is interesting. Lancer could also work (though I'd imagine an animated adaption would be more likely). I could fairly easily see some kind of animation based on Mork Borg too, albeit likely low-ish budget and on Netflix, so to the side of what we're discussing.

Shadowrun, RIFTS (could really be a hell of thing with the right people behind it and no confusion as to whether the Coalition were baddies), World of Darkness (Underworld is largely forgotten and was at most quarter-competent), Cyberpunk Red or 2077 (obviously we've already seen an anime there), Pathfinder/Golarion (yes it's basically D&D but LEGALLY DISTINCT lol), Delta Green, Deadlands, Exalted, and so on.

WoD is particularly strong because it's an entire in-depth IP with lore and aesthetics by the boatload.
Here is the post, it's a blue check mark account. My guess is an algorithm searched youtube for all postings of the trailer, and counting each postings views. Not all views were through Paramount's English YouTube channel. It likely got posted in Chinese, Japanese, French, Spanish, etc..., just a hypothesis.
Aha, thank you, that explains why I couldn't find it. It's still a little hard to evaluate because we don't know how many views other movie trailers get when you compile them that way, but at least the origin is obvious.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I could fairly easily see some kind of animation based on Mork Borg too, albeit likely low-ish budget and on Netflix, so to the side of what we're discussing.
Imagine a Mork Borg movie or series with the aesthetics of the original Heavy Metal movie. That would be amazing.
Shadowrun, RIFTS (could really be a hell of thing with the right people behind it and no confusion as to whether the Coalition were baddies), World of Darkness (Underworld is largely forgotten and was at most quarter-competent), Cyberpunk Red or 2077 (obviously we've already seen an anime there), Pathfinder/Golarion (yes it's basically D&D but LEGALLY DISTINCT lol), Delta Green, Deadlands, Exalted, and so on.
Doesn't Deadlands also have the problem of needing to make it clear that the ex-Confedarates aren't meant to be viewed as noble heroes of the lost cause? (An issue that Firefly has, in retrospect, for many people now. No, the Browncoats there weren't actually slave-holders, but there's a lot of call-outs that make it clear what a major inspiration for them was.)

Hasbro should worry if some big cinema studio wanted to acquire Paizo for the IP, or if Mattel started to sell action figures of Shadowrun after an animated serie in some streaming service.

And DC or Star War are a good examples of a famous IP is not enough. You have to produce a good title if you want a long life for you IP.

Maybe after the movie some videogame studios and cinema producers start to acquire 3PPs because these can produce potential IPs. There is a project about an action-live production based in World of Darkness, I mean they are going to try it a second time.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter

I'm imagining a Traveller parody about trying to cast the movie using the character gen rules, and the horrible fates of the the unlucky would be stars....

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads